Tired of drop-ins that don't fit

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I am tired of messing around with drop-ins trying to get something to work in my Surefire C2. For those of you who don't have a C2, if the head isn't screwed all the way down, the pocket clip wiggles around. So far every drop-in I have tried is essentially the same style reflector and pill and they all have the same problems.

Something is wrong with your clip. It should not be loose like that... regardless of how snug the bezel fits onto the body. The C2s and M2s I have handled have not had loose fitting clips, even with the bezel removed.

In my other P60 lights I just cut the spring down and it leaves a small gap between the head and body that I fill with a black o-ring. However that isn't an option for the C2. If I use even a portion of the spring it leaves a gap and if I leave the spring off I can't get a reliable connection. I have tried shoving aluminum foil around/in along with several other pieces of metal and wire. I have also tried sanding off the anodizing around the top of the body so the reflector might make contact there. Nothing has been reliable.

Try removing the large spring. SOME (not all) chinese P60 module pills can be unscrewed just a little to elongate the module and maintain electrical contact with minimal bezel-body gap.

Here are things I am considering...

Getting a Malkoff. Excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand how the design of these works that well for this. It seems like without an outer spring, they would rely on the head applying pressure to hold it against the inner wall of the body. That doesn't leave much room for error in getting a tight fitting head while also maintaining a connection. Any input from people who have them in C2s?

A Malkoff M60 will not solve your clip problem. Gene designed the M60 housing to be slightly longer than necessary. Its been designed this way to provide adequate electrical and thermal contact with the body over the entire population of Surefire hosts. In other words, the M60 is intentionally made on the long-side to compensate for tolerance variations.

I am also considering using a P60L, taking it apart and building my own with the assembly, that way it will fit as originally intended. Has anyone ever done this?
Not worth your time. The P60L does not have ANY thermal conduction path. You will overheat the LED, unless you run it at low current. At that point, you may as well just use the stock P60L module.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.
Sure no prob... your clip is defective though. It should not depend on the tightness of the bezel.

Last edited:

revance

Newly Enlightened
First, I am not willing to remove the clip. Believe it or not, I actually use it for its intended use... a pocket clip.

The clip hardly moves at all when the head is screwed down all the way, but even the slightest gap creates a lot of wobble. It does have the plastic wedge, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the clip... I think this is just the nature of the beast.

I understand the Malkoff will leave a gap, my question was how easily that can be removed while not losing good electrical contact. The new design looks like it might be pretty easy by removing material from the top (big ledge there) and if I took a bit more than necessary off, I could put a rubber gasket in there that can squish to make a perfect fit. I know it will lose some thermal contact area, but I can just put some thermal compound all over the thing to make contact with the body.

I have tried removing the outer spring and backing the pill out, but I have to back it so far out, it pretty much ruins my beam (as in unusable... not just ugly).

I like the idea of putting a metal ring (cut from a spring) in the bottom, then maybe I wouldn't have to back the pill so far out.

Good point on the thermal properties of the P60L, I will throw that idea out.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sure no prob... your clip is defective though. It should not depend on the tightness of the bezel.

Nothing wrong with his clip at all. I've carried a variety of SF lights with both the long, and short clip. Mainly carried clipped to thin pocket seams on dress pants. Every clip lost just a bit of tightness when carried everyday for several months. While extremely slight (clipped to dress pants) it was still noticeable.

This is quite common with SF clips.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
First, I am not willing to remove the clip. Believe it or not, I actually use it for its intended use... a pocket clip.
Good choice, the pocket clip is what separates the SF-tactical lights from the "standard" models (6P, 9P, G2/3...etc)

The clip hardly moves at all when the head is screwed down all the way, but even the slightest gap creates a lot of wobble. It does have the plastic wedge, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the clip... I think this is just the nature of the beast.

I still think something is not right with your clip.... either that or my M2 clip is defective in a good way.

I understand the Malkoff will leave a gap, my question was how easily that can be removed while not losing good electrical contact. The new design looks like it might be pretty easy by removing material from the top (big ledge there) and if I took a bit more than necessary off, I could put a rubber gasket in there that can squish to make a perfect fit. I know it will lose some thermal contact area, but I can just put some thermal compound all over the thing to make contact with the body.
Others have removed material from the narrow rim at the base... not the top ridge part. Its soft brass, so a file is all you need. I just use mine with the gap, so I have no first hand experience with this mod.

I have tried removing the outer spring and backing the pill out, but I have to back it so far out, it pretty much ruins my beam (as in unusable... not just ugly).
Yeah... the pill unscrew only goes so far before the beam gets ugly.

I like the idea of putting a metal ring (cut from a spring) in the bottom, then maybe I wouldn't have to back the pill so far out.
I have done this before too.

Good point on the thermal properties of the P60L, I will throw that idea out.
;)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
my NB modules work GREAT in my C2 with copper tape
and either NO spring or just one ring or so.

weird..

my clip is a little wiggly no matter what.

C2 FTW!!!!!

revance

Newly Enlightened
Mine is a little wiggly no matter what too, but still acceptable for use... but the difference between having the head all the way down and a gap just big enough to let light through is huge. The smallest gap makes the clip really loose.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your clip is faulty. I have a brand new C2 HA and even with the bezel off, the clip is sturdy.

I am currently running a Nailbender 3-mode drop-in, which leaves no gap. Under inspection, the bezel doesn't touch the top of the clip when fully tightened, yet the clip remains sturdy.

You should contact Surefire about a replacement clip and retainer.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I think your clip is faulty. I have a brand new C2 HA and even with the bezel off, the clip is sturdy.

Carry it every day for a few months clipped to your pocket. You'll notice a difference.