Titanium Innovations Illuminati Aluminum (1xAAA XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

Pointoflight

Newly Enlightened
Purchased the aluminum model. I doubt it puts out the stated 115 lumens. compared it to my fenix E11 rated at 105 lumens on high and the fenix put out a lot more light. Got the illuminati to replace my $19.00 Fenix E05 rated at 27 lumens and though it is brighter than the e05 on high, it is certainly not putting out 115lm. I used the same battery brand on all lights ....energizer lithium. My best guess s that it puts out about 70-80 lm on high setting. Not bad for a small aaa light, but no way it meets it's advertised rating.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Purchased the aluminum model. I doubt it puts out the stated 115 lumens. compared it to my fenix E11 rated at 105 lumens on high and the fenix put out a lot more light. ... My best guess s that it puts out about 70-80 lm on high setting. Not bad for a small aaa light, but no way it meets it's advertised rating.
Yes, I would agree with that assessment. As you will see in the tables in this review, I estimate the IlluminaTi puts out ~70-80 ANSI FL-1 lumens on Hi. I have not done a review of the Fenix E11, but I have handled one, and my lightbox estimates it puts out ~130-140 ANSI FL-1 lumens on Hi (depending on battery type).

Oh, and :welcome:

Pointoflight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. My 70-80 lm estimate was just a guesstimate. Glad my suspicions were confirmed by a person who knows his stuff.

BlackhawkB

Newly Enlightened
I don't get it, are the 115 lumens OTF ANSI in high ?
Because a D25A with 1xAA last about 1h in high mode 110 lumens OTF, how come this one can last 90min in 115 lumens with 1xAAA ?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I don't get it, are the 115 lumens OTF ANSI in high ?
Because a D25A with 1xAA last about 1h in high mode 110 lumens OTF, how come this one can last 90min in 115 lumens with 1xAAA ?
It is not. As you will see in the review, I only get 70-78 peak lumens, and one hour runtime on NiMH. Most of that time is spent at a lower <65 lumen level.

Last edited:

Bugsy68

Newly Enlightened
I gave this light to my fiance to keep on her keychain and it worked pretty good for a while! It was the right size that she didn't complain about it and she actually used it often. Since it was so small (and on her keyring) she was always able to find it in her purse. The problem is the twist top head fell off, presumably in one of her purses, and she can't find it. Now the light is useless. I'd like to replace it but I think the same thing will happen again. She tried some of the larger lights (CR123 / AA size) but didn't like them because they either were to big / heavy on her keyring or they'd get lost at the bottom of her purse.

Are there any lights this size that are not so easy to unscrew / lose important parts?

Thanks!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Are there any lights this size that are not so easy to unscrew / lose important parts?
Hmm, likely to be a common problem with all 1xAAA lights. Not sure which maker uses the most threads (which would at least increase the difficulty in losing the head), but you could compare the body pics of various 1xAAA models I've tested (review list is in my signature block).

Good luck!

BigTzzy

Newly Enlightened

I ordered one of these about 2 weeks ago and due to it being out of stock on back order I won't receive it until this Friday. (hopefully)

During the last call to Battery Junctions customer service they advised that the light has gotten some "upgrades".

First one, the light is now aluminum and not titanium.

Second one, they told be the light is now 130 lumens up from the 115.

I look forward to getting my light as I like to carry my AAA flash lights every day in my pocket.

Hery Cyd

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, likely to be a common problem with all 1xAAA lights. Not sure which maker uses the most threads (which would at least increase the difficulty in losing the head), but you could compare the body pics of various 1xAAA models I've tested (review list is in my signature block).

Good luck!

Hi slefbuilt,

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

My name is Hery. Allow this noob to ask a few questions. :p
Your beamshots posts has helped me a lot in deciding which flashlight to buy.

After looking at a lot of 1xAAA powered flashlight reviews, I am interested in Illuminati Ti.
(unless you have a better suggestion for a brighter 1xAAA/10440 flashlight)

However, I always get confused with your beamshots and you table/graphs.
For example in this thread, the beamshots clearly shows that the original Ti is brighter than the Al. But the table show that Al got higher lumens (78) than the original Ti (70).
Also all the graphs shows that Al is better than Ti.

In short, same case with other beamshots reviews, to decide which flashlight is brighter, should I use the beamshots or the table/graphs?

I might be wrong or don't understand the table/graphs so please forgive my noobness.
Thanks in advance.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
However, I always get confused with your beamshots and you table/graphs.
For example in this thread, the beamshots clearly shows that the original Ti is brighter than the Al. But the table show that Al got higher lumens (78) than the original Ti (70).
Also all the graphs shows that Al is better than Ti.
Hi Heri,

I always recommend people rely on the tables and charts, as they compare lights under identical conditions. The up-close beamshots can be misleading when comparing lights of different beam profiles (and even tints, in some cases).

But in this case, it seems to me something is definitely off with my beamshots of the Al version. In real life, side-by-side, the two seem very close in brightness, with a slight output advantage to my Al version (as the tables and runtimes show). There might have been an issue with the camera for the beamshots, I will see if I can do some new ones.

Note that there shouldn't practically be any significant difference between the Al and Ti versions in use - both use the same emitter and circuit, as far as I know. Any difference is just natural variation among the components.

Hery Cyd

Newly Enlightened
Hi Heri,

I always recommend people rely on the tables and charts, as they compare lights under identical conditions. The up-close beamshots can be misleading when comparing lights of different beam profiles (and even tints, in some cases).

But in this case, it seems to me something is definitely off with my beamshots of the Al version. In real life, side-by-side, the two seem very close in brightness, with a slight output advantage to my Al version (as the tables and runtimes show). There might have been an issue with the camera for the beamshots, I will see if I can do some new ones.

Note that there shouldn't practically be any significant difference between the Al and Ti versions in use - both use the same emitter and circuit, as far as I know. Any difference is just natural variation among the components.

Awesome. Understood, Mr. Selfbuilt.
I will look more to tables and graphs from now on and use your beamshots as additional references.
Thanks for the reply.

Explore NH

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to dig up such an old review. I have had my light for 3 months and just now realized it was supposed to have 3 output levels. It was a gift and I love the size of this light. All this time I was disappointed that it wasn't brighter. I've tried to cycle through them just as I do with my other lights but I can't seem to get this one to change output. I've pulled the battery (Energizer Lithium Ion) and changed to alkaline but no change in output no matter how fast I cycle the bezel.

Not sure what level it's stuck at but I'd like to know if it's fixable. Iv'e sent an email to Battery Junction but I think its outside of their warranty. I wish I had known sooner that it was supposed to be brighter.

Any help on how to reset this? Tips? Tricks?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Not sure what level it's stuck at but I'd like to know if it's fixable. Iv'e sent an email to Battery Junction but I think its outside of their warranty. I wish I had known sooner that it was supposed to be brighter.
If the multi-modes never worked, and you are disappointed with the output, I'm going to guess the circuit is damaged and the light is running direct-drive at a low drive current. It is only "fixable" in the sense that a whole new pill (emitter/circuit combo) would likely be needed. See what BJ says ...

mactavish

Newly Enlightened
Just curious if anyone has had a chance to weigh the Titanium version of this flashlight against the aluminum version? Granted you would have to own both. I've seen so many weights for these in "grams", and no real baseline. Some weigh them in their reviews with the chain, some even with the battery. Seems logical to me, that the only way to compare them would be without the battery, and without the chain.

Titanium is supposed to be lighter, but against aluminum and the way something is machined, it seems that titanium can in fact weigh more in terms of these tiny lights? I am a happy owner of a iTP A3 EOS "upgraded" 96 "supposed" lumens AAA light, and got what was listed as the "last one" on Amazon a week or so ago, but then suddenly another by "ITP Tires" sold version, appears now, for get this........... $148.00! I paid $40.00, so while I know they don't produce them anymore under this brand, I'm wondering who is going to pay that much, I paid more then I thought it was really worth, though I'm happy with it. But, I want to get a simular AAA with a longer lasting finish (mine is black aluminum) to sit in my pocket getting scrached on the keychain. Thinking "polished" aluminum, read it scratches, dull finishes, read those coatings scratch, now looking at Titanium, maybe no finish is really scratch proof? Just looking for the lightest, most scratch resistant AAA, that of course is NO larger then my iTP, just for my pocket carry. Thanks.

Never-mind I found the info further down in "selfbuilt's" GREAT review, BIG weight difference:

Illuminati Aluminum: Weight 13.9g (with keychain clip), Length 68.8mm, Width 14.0mm (bezel)
Illuminati Titanium: Weight 23.5g (with keychain clip), Length 68.8mm, Width 14.0mm (bezel)

My Titanium version will be here this week, so I'll know first hand if it really feels heavier in pocket.

Last edited:

Emoto

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, great forum!

Not sure where to post this, but I have a Titanium Innovations CA1-AL and after 2 years of gentle pocket carry and very little use, it no longer lights up. Contacts are clean and battery is fresh. Any thoughts on how to repair? I've emailed TI but they have not responded. Any advice appreciated. It was a great little light, but not a good value if you can only get a couple of years out of one.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Not sure where to post this, but I have a Titanium Innovations CA1-AL and after 2 years of gentle pocket carry and very little use, it no longer lights up. Contacts are clean and battery is fresh. Any thoughts on how to repair? I've emailed TI but they have not responded. Any advice appreciated. It was a great little light, but not a good value if you can only get a couple of years out of one.
Outside of cleaning the contacts, there is not much you can do. Unfortunately, circuits can go without warning.

:welcome:

Emoto

Newly Enlightened
Outside of cleaning the contacts, there is not much you can do. Unfortunately, circuits can go without warning.

:welcome:

Thanks for the welcome! :thumbsup:

Does nobody sell parts? :sigh:

Emoto

Newly Enlightened
You could certainly check with Battery Junction about servicing. I don't know their policies off hand though.

Yeah, did that. No joy. The shame is that I really like this little light. If only it worked, LOL. Not trying to be a whiner or overly negative, but thirty bucks is thirty bucks.

I was using the Fenix E01 as an EDC for a long time, and liked them so much that I bought several to give to friends as gifts. Nothing ever went wrong with those, and I still have several of them. Great little lights, and only $10-14 depending on where purchased. I was seduced by the high lumens of the CA1-AL though.