TK10 HEAD stuck! Does not turn

unique

Enlightened
Hmmm. User owned light for ___ months. User cleaned/lubed head threads. Head threads galled and fused. This would usually mean a non-manufacturer problem. Especially if the threads have been glued!

Unique, I am still convinced that you will be able to get it loose. Never give up. Good luck!

If Fenix was to replace the light, then I would be sure to add them to the "Cheers" threads.:D

Definitely no one has glued it. haha.

I hope I do get it unstuck, its been 20 minutes in the freezer now. Fenix store are closed today (they seem to always be closed when I contact them) and have to wait another day for a reply. And I'm not a patient guy which makes things even worse. :shakehead

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may also be a broken O-ring mangled in the threads causing it to jam.

Maybe two drops of lubricant in the crack would help too.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please make sure you are turning the correct direction

If all attempts fail - you might try tightening it just a hair till you feel it move - then go the other way.

That has worked for me once in the past .

Last edited:

unique

Enlightened
Its still in the freezer, just nearly been one hour. I will post results once its out and try the other ideas.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with a TK-10 .

Is there a ball-bearing in the head that provides detent locations on the settings ? which may be stuck ?

Maybe your pill is screwed too far into the head ...... would that cause it ?

I'm just guessing ...... since I don't have one .

(Turn it ON to make sure what level it is set to so you know which way to go.)

This is just the beam adjustment ring you're talking about ..... right ? not the whole head

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yeah its definitally not budging. The threads could have fused together. I just gave it to my dad and if he can't unscrew it no chance for me.

I never screw that heads on tight, in fact I always leave them on low mode when not in use but this time I must have left it on high mode but even if I did no way do I tighten them that much. I leave it sitting 'lose' on turbo mode.
This is very awkward. I got the TK10 just over one year ago. Will fenix store do me any favours.

Please make sure you are turning the correct direction

If all attempts fail - you might try tightening it just a hair till you feel it move - then unscrew it.

That has worked for me once in the past .

Loose is general mode, tight is turbo, which is opposite of what you describe above. So yes, please do make sure you are turning it the correct direction. Loose is counterclockwise.

unique

Enlightened
haha, I am aware of it, I am turning correct direction.
I said lose on turbo. I meant I never tighten it if I put it on turbo mode. I leave it sitting 'lose' on turbo mode. If you understand now!
Which I'm trying to say I would never tighten it that much on turbo mode.

unique

Enlightened
UPDATE! Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxcellent news!

Took it out of the freezer JUST now and quickly gripped it and twisted the head and POP it unscrewed!
The freezer trick done wonders.
Thanks a billion guys! Without you I wouldn't have known this trick at all..

Now on inspection of the threads the head does look like its 'full' of gunk inside the threads.
Once this comes down to room temp I'll give it a really good clean and lube.

Many many thanks!

edit: Just wiped my finger around the thread and my finger got covered in black/grey gunk. Is this the cause of too much lube?

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually sign of lube left on too long before replacment.

Glad you got it loose.

You may need a heavier grease on that area ?

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bye the way ......

Since that happened ......

You should consider changing the type lube you use .

That one did not serve you well !

No .......... I don't give recommendations ( search and study )

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, this is good info to know in case I ever have to do it...

My TK11 has a thread problem where the threads grind off metal dust from each other just from simply screwing the head on and off. The grey stuff on your light sounds like it's a similar deal (metal flakes).

I nearly always leave mine in general mode, but I could see how it would jam up if left in a tightened state for a long time, what with all the trash created in the threads.

The only other possible cause I could see (aside from a machining defect) is that on the head itself, and the start of the threads, there are some "notch" type areas that have sharp edges. I kind of suspect that these are digging into the threads as it turns. If I can get a small file, I'll try knocking down those sharp edges and see if that helps. You may want to do the same.

On galling, I was thinking that only happened when the metal was fresh cut, and completely dry and unlubed. Maybe only certain metals too? I mean, I've both installed and removed a lot of old, dry bolts on cars and they NEVER did this kind of thing. If they're overtorqued they might pull the threads out or break off, but that's a different story...

PS: In the instructions that came with my SureFires, it says clean and lube twice a year, so I don't really buy the "you need to clean it more" explanation unless you're using it in a really nasty environment.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm i use nyogel 760 and sometimes when i dont use a light for a while it kinda makes the head stick a little but never seized like this...guess i should try some other stuff or clean and lube more often

unique

Enlightened
hmmm i use nyogel 760 and sometimes when i dont use a light for a while it kinda makes the head stick a little but never seized like this...guess i should try some other stuff or clean and lube more often
Yeah I get the same problem with 760. If I leave it sitting for a while the head will get stuck but with a little give it turns, so every now and then I would turn the tail cap and head to keep it from sticking. But this time when I TRIED it was completely stuck for real!
Haha, the one hour in freezer worked so good.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you remember if the last time you had used it, leaving it in Turbo, if the light was very cold at the time? Then when you tried to loosen it was the light warm (room temp)?

I'd be curious to know if this is something we should watch out for. Not to leave lights like these on turbo (tight) when they are very cold so that when they warm up and expand they don't seize up.

I'm picturing the contact area at the top of the body tube pressed against the contact point at the base of the head when cold, then when it warms up it expands and those contact points press hard into each other which would be like putting on the brakes. So when you go to loosen it you are trying to over come all that friction of the contact points pressed together. Putting it the freezer would contract those points and turn off the brakes so to speak.

Anyone think this could have been what was going on? Sorry for my non-technical lingo. :p

unique

Enlightened
Do you remember if the last time you had used it, leaving it in Turbo, if the light was very cold at the time? Then when you tried to loosen it was the light warm (room temp)?
It was cold but not "Very cold". Definitely not cold enough for it to change in sizes?
But then the more I think it could have been cold. I was sitting on my desk and decided to have a play with it (that sounds so wrong, lol) and it was cold and I was switching it on and off so the light heated up, after I was done with it I put it back on my desk. My room probably did get cold enough for the change in temperature to do something?
Or could it? I really have no clue...

I was O/S and maybe dust and the aeroplane and difference in pressures done something because I had not cleaned it yet?