TK40 mounted to bars or other flashlights (pics please)

GOLDGPR

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Just woundered if anybody had mounted a TK40 to use for off road biking and if so how does it feel ie is it too heavy etc??

Also looking for another light to supliment my two L2D's which i was going to mount to my helmet and use a more powerful light on the bars. quite a lot of sites recomend the P7 MTE and SSC lights on DX Could i have some recomendations and also pictures of them actually mounted to bars/helemts.

Many Thanks
G

jankj

Enlightened
I can see why you would mount the TK40 to a bar - but why do you want to mount the TK40 to another flashlight... :confused:

If you have two L2D's, then mount one to the handlebars and one to the helmet and see how it works out. It should give enough lightning for most applications. If you still feel like you need more lightning then you can buy a P7 or MC-E light for the handlebars.

Your helmet has ventilation holes, so all you need is a rubber band or a luggage strop to tie it down. For handlebar mount, the twofish lockblock works great. Or a rubber band. Or a dedicated bike mount.

Oh - and you should run those fenixes (L2D, TK40) with rechargeable nimh batteries, preferably eneloop low discharge batteries. If you run the L2D on turbo you get a HUGE increase in performance (brightness, run time) from alikaline batteres.

I'm guessing the TK40 would be somewhat heavy for handlebar or helmet mount. Size is somewhere in between maglite 2D and 3D, right? So it's too big to fit a twofish lockblock, and it's probably so heavy it will swing around the handlebars unless you have a REALLY solid mount.

GOLDGPR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replying, I am not wishing to attach another light to the TK40 but looking at that light as a potential main light for bars. But as most reviews take a picture of just the torch on its own its hard to get a judgement of size.

How big are the MTE P7 torches and also what sort of runtime do you get from them on high? and does it stay constant or die off fast due to it not being regulated??

Many Thanks for any replies i am a newbie to this forum so just plain english replies would be good.

bradjackson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replying, I am not wishing to attach another light to the TK40 but looking at that light as a potential main light for bars. But as most reviews take a picture of just the torch on its own its hard to get a judgement of size.

How big are the MTE P7 torches and also what sort of runtime do you get from them on high? and does it stay constant or die off fast due to it not being regulated??

Many Thanks for any replies i am a newbie to this forum so just plain english replies would be good.

My MTE P7-C gives me just over an hour of runtime on high. It stays pretty constant the whole time, only notice fading after an hour.

It works great for handlebar mounting or helmet mounting. I did a cool mod last night to accommodate an external battery for longer runtimes and less weight on the helmet. I will upload some pics of this later.

Here are some pics to give you an idea of the size of the MTE flashlight.

xwejdFdJCg3M4H3Ao7LFoQ

pl8qWdck3TS26rqu760AjQ

hotlight

Enlightened
tk40 would be too big for the handlebars(or helmet) offroad. it is a heavier light. but it definately would be effective on dark trails. on the roads a tk40 mounted on the handlebars would be nice

+1 for 1 light on handlebars and one on helmet(offroad)

jankj

Enlightened
How big are the MTE P7 torches (...) ?

I'm assuming you are considering those MTE P7s that use a single 18650 li-ion battery. They will be slightly fatter than a LD20 and slightly shorter. They will also typically have a bigger head.

So - they are small and light enough to fit the simplest flashlight or helmet mounts without any troubles. (Twofish lockblock, rubber bands or whatever..).

I was about to buy some MTE P7 or similar, but I decided to try a setup with a LD10 + LD20 (helmet + handlebars) for some time. That was bright enough for me, so I decided against it.

Ziemas

Enlightened
The TK40 is way too big and heavy to be a practical bike light. It weights close to 500g with batteries. It would be a lot more practical to use one of the many 18650 lights, or the Magic Shine bike light.

GOLDGPR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks looking into that magicshine light now and looks good. By the looks of your recomendations the TK40 would be too big and heavy which was suprising when you consider they use produce the Enduro Maxx-D but is a lot lighter(weight) and also more expensive.

Thanks G

Ziemas

Enlightened
Thanks looking into that magicshine light now and looks good. By the looks of your recomendations the TK40 would be too big and heavy which was suprising when you consider they use produce the Enduro Maxx-D but is a lot lighter(weight) and also more expensive.

Thanks G
You are comparing apples and oranges. The Enduro is a self contained bike light, while the TK40 is a huge flashlight. In between the two are the 18650 (it's a type of battery) lights that I mentioned earlier. They are very bright (P7 or MC-E emitter), yet small enough to mount on your bars with a lot of stability. I use a Two Fish Cycloblock to mount mine, and it's even stable over cobblestones.

GOLDGPR

Newly Enlightened
Ziemas- What would you think to the EagleTac M2C4 for a bar mounted use ???? or a Olight M30

it's smaller than the TK, around the same size as the exposure maxx-d although a little heavier (poss due to battery type used between them)

I have to say after looking into the DX/Magicshine light these also seem good value although the quality probably wont match the above two lights i could probably get two of the dx ones for the price of one of the above and still beable to get the mods done to make it a better light.

Decisions, Decisions! :thinking:

Ziemas

Enlightened
Ziemas- What would you think to the EagleTac M2C4 for a bar mounted use ???? or a Olight M30

it's smaller than the TK, around the same size as the exposure maxx-d although a little heavier (poss due to battery type used between them)

I have to say after looking into the DX/Magicshine light these also seem good value although the quality probably wont match the above two lights i could probably get two of the dx ones for the price of one of the above and still beable to get the mods done to make it a better light.

Decisions, Decisions! :thinking:

They are too large. Look for a single 18650 light. Why do you want such a massive light on your bars and just how to you plan on mounting it?

As for the MagicShine, if you are in the US I strongly suggest getting it from GeoMan as they are US based, offer a good warranty, and it costs about the same as from DX.