• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TN42vn - Reflector Throw King

Jmac219

Newly Enlightened
Well I've been lurking for a few months debating whether to click the purchase button for the TN42vn. Finally placed my order :grin2: . I know this probably has been already discussed on here, but what are you guys using for batteries on the TN42vn?? I only have the four Fenix 2300mAh batteries that came with my TK75. I want something with more run time. Just wanted to see what everyone else was using for this light. Thanks!

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
keep in mind that the ANSI distance calculated is defined as illuminating an object xxxx meters away at .25 lumen. so for the tn42vn, an object 1673 meters away will shine at 0.25 lumens with the light coming from the led. most likely, you won't be able to see something 1673 meters away glowing that dim especially with ambient lighting.

many people here simply cut the ANSI distance by 1/2 or 1/3 to get a more realistic "visible" throw distance.

I had my friend Timmy (with cells phone in hand) stand next to a tree that was 1,300 meters away. I then aimed my (former) K70vn at the tree, then called to ask if he could see any light on the tree. Unfortunately b-mog answered... said "nice try"... then hung up. :banghead:

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
Well I've been lurking for a few months debating whether to click the purchase button for the TN42vn. Finally placed my order :grin2: . I know this probably has been already discussed on here, but what are you guys using for batteries on the TN42vn?? I only have the four Fenix 2300mAh batteries that came with my TK75. I want something with more run time. Just wanted to see what everyone else was using for this light. Thanks!

Judging from the currents specs of this light (around 3 amps) I would think that any good protected 18650 should work just fine. It would just be a matter of getting higher capacity batteries. Vinh himself didn't recommend high drain cells when I inquired. Imrbatteries.com does sell them at economical prices if that's what you want, though.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the TN42 the successor to the TN32? I remember awhile back, when the TN31 was just being succeeded by the TN32, that Vinh said that the TN32 is a SIGNIFICANTLY better quality light than the TN31. So my other question, whether or not the TN42 even is or isn't the successor to TN32, did Thrunite hit another quality home run with the TN42 like it had done with the TN32, or does it not quite live up to TN32 quality and more so resemble the TN31? Don't get me wrong I actually thought my TN31 was really nice, and I never owned a TN32, but I just remember Vinh pointing out the quality improvement so I always wanted a TN32 but never pulled the trigger. Well today I also wouldn't pull the trigger because TN42 blows it away, but I'm just wondering 'Quality wise' which Thrunite model is the TN42 more like, the TN31 or the TN32?

ok,Steven

K70vn on Left,,,,TN42 on Right. Beams very similar!

DSC_2020_zpse39491d4.jpg

This hot spot looks incredible!! Do you guys know why Vinh has Spec 1 as his recommended spec? It seems like only dropping from 1760 meters to 1709 is totally worth it to go from 6500K to 5000K, what am I missing? Not to mention the slight drop in lumens means even longer turbo run time!

But then when it comes to the Acebeam X65vn Vinh recommends the slightly less output NW, so he does not just recommend the best power. It seems to me like this TN42 spec 1 and spec 2 is along the same lines of the 2 different specs for the Acebeam, which is a SLIGHT power loss but a better color. So what am I missing that he recommends the CW one here?

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
^^^^

DID you find those beam shots on this thread?!!

It was a joke I played on someone!

Those are M2X STOCK ON LEFT and MY M2Xvn DD/Single mode on right!

Yes it was from this thread! Here is what I wrote a few posts down from the beam shots in post #200!!

Yes he does,but I have another confession!!

Keep in mind this was to satisfy, yet fool wimmer! which can easily be done,just start talking batteries with him!!

The light on the Left is an M2X Stock. The one on the right is actually my light after Vinh modded it,,,an M2Xvn DD/Single mode!!!

Last edited:

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok my mistake, yeah I was just skimming so that post faked me out, I read through again to see that you did in fact get the recommended cool white.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine in the mail, spec1, with four x LG 3500mAh unprotected 18650 button top and Xtar VP4 Li-ion charger; Thanks vinh! :thanks:

I will compare beam performance with the K70vn, and report my gross observations at range of my interest: around 800 meters.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Fenix TK75vnX2Q70 dome on. K70vn. Acebeam TN42vn. X65Vn.

I will try for comparative beamshots of the middle two later tonite.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beamshots that I took came out terrible quality. In their stead, I will post my observation on beam performance of TN42vn versus K70vn:

Of course, the webosphere is chock full of stock TN42 versus stock K70 videos and beamshots, but I only have the Vinh54 versions.

Here goes: The less initiated the observer, the less of a difference between these two lights' beam performance. The more experienced the observer, the more differences can be seen in the beams.

Close range: TN42 has a tighter, narrower beam, with more brightness in the center of the beam. But, this is not the range that these lights are intended to be used at.

Medium range: Same as above, but a little harder to grossly observe. This range is near the intended range use for these lights. But not quite.

Long range: Now we are at the intended range that these lights are designed to be use for. At this range, the TN42vn visibly has some more light on the target; the target is some more better defined. How much more? Appears to be about 10% more, kind of, sort of, approximately.

Buy the newer light if you already have the older light? That depends on if your want/need for some more performance is less, or more, than your hesitation to acquire and keep another light.

Or put the other way: That depends on if you desire to acquire and keep another light is equal to or more than your hesitation about the "some" more performance.

By the way, both lights squarely focused on the same distant target: Notably brighter target. Ganging two or three of these such lights would yield spectacular performance increase.

B by the way: As usual, I am more interested in my observation of beam performance when comparing different lights; people have different opinions on the physical light itself, such as switch, UI, etc.; so my opinions on such matters are of less importance than my observation of beam performance.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good summary richbuff, thanks. Pretty much what I observed but I swallowed my pride and posted the terrible beam shots anyway! The focal point on my K70vn is slightly closer than the TN42vn, so at 600ms the beam was tighter on the latter.

The K70 is a smaller light, so it does pretty well to compete with the TN, Which is also NW, and still has a clear advantage to the eye. [emoji4]

hahoo

Enlightened
The beamshots that I took came out terrible quality. In their stead, I will post my observation on beam performance of TN42vn versus K70vn:

Of course, the webosphere is chock full of stock TN42 versus stock K70 videos and beamshots, but I only have the Vinh54 versions.

Here goes: The less initiated the observer, the less of a difference between these two lights' beam performance. The more experienced the observer, the more differences can be seen in the beams.

Close range: TN42 has a tighter, narrower beam, with more brightness in the center of the beam. But, this is not the range that these lights are intended to be used at.

Medium range: Same as above, but a little harder to grossly observe. This range is near the intended range use for these lights. But not quite.

Long range: Now we are at the intended range that these lights are designed to be use for. At this range, the TN42vn visibly has some more light on the target; the target is some more better defined. How much more? Appears to be about 10% more, kind of, sort of, approximately.

Buy the newer light if you already have the older light? That depends on if your want/need for some more performance is less, or more, than your hesitation to acquire and keep another light.

Or put the other way: That depends on if you desire to acquire and keep another light is equal to or more than your hesitation about the "some" more performance.

By the way, both lights squarely focused on the same distant target: Notably brighter target. Ganging two or three of these such lights would yield spectacular performance increase.

B by the way: As usual, I am more interested in my observation of beam performance when comparing different lights; people have different opinions on the physical light itself, such as switch, UI, etc.; so my opinions on such matters are of less importance than my observation of beam performance.

well that stinks, was looking forward to some beam shots:(
what camera are you using rich ?
maybe i can help you with your settings
night time can be the hardest to get the results one is looking for
be glad to assist if i can:thumbsup:

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
well that stinks, was looking forward to some beam shots:(
what camera are you using rich ?
maybe i can help you with your settings
night time can be the hardest to get the results one is looking for
be glad to assist if i can:thumbsup:
This Is What I Love About The CPF family. Great stuff here hahoo..:)

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
Well I've been lurking for a few months debating whether to click the purchase button for the TN42vn. Finally placed my order :grin2: .

Me too. I went with Spec 1.

I know this probably has been already discussed on here, but what are you guys using for batteries on the TN42vn??

Judging from the currents specs of this light (around 3 amps) I would think that any good protected 18650 should work just fine. It would just be a matter of getting higher capacity batteries. Vinh himself didn't recommend high drain cells when I inquired.

I don't understand why some Vinh lights call for protected cells and others call for unprotected, are recommendations for unprotected cells synonymous with IMR high drain? I guess it goes against my intuition, it just seems natural that a protected something must be better than an unprotected something.

But regardless of that question ok the TN42vn calls for protected cells, my other question is can I mix battery brands? I have 2 protected AWs, and 2 protected Orbtronics, but I have 4 of neither. And a further question would be can I mix protected cells of different capacity, like two protected 3400 Ah cells with two protected 3100 Ah cells? Thank you

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please do Not mix any batteries!

No mixed brands, no mixed capacities, no mixed ages, no mixed charge levels. No mixed anything.

Buy the batteries for this light, all the same, and keep the batteries together, and use them together, charge them at the same time to the same voltage.

Email vinh and ask him about the correct batteries; sometimes this is mentioned in the skylumen website for the light.

My camera: iPad 4 retina display. Thanks for offer to assist me.

The German forum has lots of comparative beamshot threads. :)