Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TnC D-Flex (3 wide 18650) interest and ideas

I'm wishing out loud here; this is what I'd like to see:

- Tube that can accept 3 or 4 X 18650 across
- Matching extension tube(s)
- Cell holders offerred for tube and extension configurations
- Mag switch/head compatible adapter, finned near head
- Large head, 3"+, offerred with and without reflector, LED friendly, finned and/or grooved for heat dissipation
- Quality lens, AR coated
- Chemkote interior
- HA, bare, and hopefully chrome finish
- Really cool machining integrating head to tail

D'I miss anything?

If 30 is the target quantity for moving this to the top of Eric's to-do list, I'll start by committing to (2) complete lights, head-to-tail, w/ cell holders in a 14.8 V configuration, no reflector necessary. Move over Moby ****, make way for Behemoth.

Feel free to express purchase interest so we can get this rolling by brute force if need be.

I couldn't have said it better! :thumbsup:
Including the 2 committed lights! ;)

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TnC D-Flex (3 wide 18650) interest and ideas

If 30 is the target quantity for moving this to the top of Eric's to-do list, I'll start by committing to (2) complete lights, head-to-tail, w/ cell holders in a 14.8 V configuration, no reflector necessary. Move over Moby ****, make way for Behemoth.

30 wouldn't move it to the top of the to do list, it would just make it doable, but still with high manufacturing costs. 50 or more units would bring down the costs further. The only reason for us to approach this project would be to do something for CPF. There is a ceiling on the potential for future runs for lights of this caliber. In addition there appears to be a competing prospective project that has been discussed for some time. If you split the interest as seems to be occurring then there is all that much less motivation for builders.

We've discussed providing all the parts for complete builds, including battery holders and reflectors. In addition discussion of collaboration is in the works. However without serious interest it's folly to pursue a build that will require as much effort as this one will.

A 4x 18650 body is only slightly larger than a 3x 18650 body so you might want to change the thread title? Thanks

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric, doable is a start, bringing costs down even better.

I believe there is serious interest, if I may speak for Freddy so far 4 lights are committed from 2 members.

The competing project lacks the key components to complete a package. Heads without reflectors are useless for incans, and cell holders are necessary for those who don't want to build or buy a dedicated pack.

I agree that from a strictly financial view, the D-Flex project probably does not make the most sense. Neither do any of my builds, or most of the automobile flagship cars. What they do accomplish is to showcase the ability, resources, and talent of their makers, generate excitement, and elevate the maker above their competition and peers.

I'm have confidence that this could very well be the nicest big custom light ever produced, and will be the platform of many unbelieveably creative mods.

I don't think we can expect purchase commitments without pricing or depictions, so to avoid a catch-22 situation maybe anyone seriously interested can express themselves here to gauge whether or not the D-Flex should move forward.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I don't see these as competing projects. Those that want the 3 wide have a whole other set of interests for that platform...smaller grip size, different voltage setups, etc. than the 4 wide. The FM Elephant created a historical demand when people saw what could be done...and the demand is there with another 4 wide.

The 3 wide has never been done in a flexible system. The 18650 cells are here to stay in safe chemistry. That automatically creates a whole new demand for those who want a smaller tube width for those "petite man-hands."

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
What LuxLuthor said. FM is set to start a second run of four-wide Elephants. The Mammoth is a four-wide project as well. TnC can blaze the trail with a run of three-wide D-Flex bodies.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lux,

I haven't dropped the ball on this. Chris costed out some battery holders based on the design by Jonathan and it came out to about $40 a piece (our costs) which is a non starter when you consider all the factors and what the market would likely bare. We are designing holders trying to rely more on off the shelf parts we can source. We'll see where that leads.

At the same time for a week or two I've been discussing a collaboration based on our ideas and the ideas of another CPF builder. We are not ready to make an announcement concerning our work as we have not yet firmed up all the details and would rather not have a CPF marriage if it ends in a premature CPF divorce :crackup:

At the same time, it appears there is insignificant savings in terms of the OD of the tube to go exclusively with a 3x holder setup. I believe it only comes to about 0.1" less than a 4x tube. This does not mean we have abandoned the notion of 3x tubes, as I understand the unique opportunity this would create for certain voltage applications. In fact as is the case with TnC and our other Series of light systems, we'd like to have a modular approach allowing for most battery configurations (not just 18650). There lies the rub. That is a challenging proposition in and of itself without entering a market full of other projects that fit in the same general niche. There is no reason to make something for a saturated market. We own plenty of parts as it is :party:

mpteach

Enlightened
Could a triangular tri- 18650 tube be extruded?

Edit: My laptop has a spring loaded slider button recessed that I have to push across to drop the battery pack. Something like that could be put on a triangular tailcap.

Edit2 There could be three hollow ribs/tubes on the inside located in the center of each flat side and those could be tapped so extender and adapter sections could be attached together win three screws(or more)!

Last edited: