• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired TNT SingLED modules for Surefire incan E-series

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Re: TNT SingLED modules for Surefire incan E-series - E1E, E2E, E2D

Hi Tana, I have a battery question for you. I came across one of these awesome dropin's, and I want to make sure not to fry it. It is a 3-mode 219 2.4-3.7 volts. So, should I strictly keep to primaries so I don't damage it?

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Tana, I have a battery question for you. I came across one of these awesome dropin's, and I want to make sure not to fry it. It is a 3-mode 219 2.4-3.7 volts. So, should I strictly keep to primaries so I don't damage it?

Well... I'd like to say "yes" but honestly, better to stick to primary cell... li-ion would supply too much amperage for heatsink to handle and it would eventually lead to LED burn-out...

You could try it in combo with E2L-AA body and 2xAA primary cells for fun, though... :)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tana, could you create a drop in with an XPG2, in the configuration below? If so, how many OTF lumens would you estimate? Thanks!

NANJG ROHS-111
2.8-6V, 700mA, SINGLE MODE

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tana, could you create a drop in with an XPG2, in the configuration below? If so, how many OTF lumens would you estimate? Thanks!

NANJG ROHS-111
2.8-6V, 700mA, SINGLE MODE

Too easy, my friend... at 700mA the XPG2 R5 is around 260 emitter lumens (give or take) so about 200 OTF lumens and very nice runtime...

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too easy, my friend... at 700mA the XPG2 R5 is around 260 emitter lumens (give or take) so about 200 OTF lumens and very nice runtime...

Very cool. Thinking about this for my E2D... I'll have to scratch some funds togther!

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Re: TNT SingLED Nichia219 or XPG2 E-series modules/towers

So after a fair amount of time of waiting... thanks to slow shipping of desired materials and few lost shipments, the final SingLED is READY... the Nichia219 got the final production look and first FOUR modules that were ordered and pre-paid are being shipped out tomorrow... I have about 6 more carved, some for XPG2, some for Nichia219 and within next 4-5 days I'll contact members who said they would be interested...

If I for some reason missed you but you expressed the interest, please don't get mad... My previous couple of weeks were rather hectic... just PM me again and/or post here...

When you get those ready I'll take one.

I also have a plan to make an interesting one for myself that others might like as well... it would be a SINGLE MODE, LIMITED-CURRENT DIRECT-DRIVE... basically use the AMC7135 based driver but leave one 350mA chip on it and REMOVE the chip that cuts of the power when voltage is below 2.8V (if it's possible)... This module would be a PERFECT replacement for E1E's incan lamp... it would provide loooong runtime with more output than stock lamp with slow tapper towards battery end... This driver would only work great with primary cells (CR123) but once done I need to test with Li-Ion... however, it would not have low-voltage cut-off to protect Li-Ion to be over-discharged... that's why primaries would be perfect for this setup... Nichia's output at 350mA @ 3V is around 100 lumens at the emiter... so about 80 OTF lumens on fresh cell and runtime of at least 4 hours (but maybe double that) compared to 15 lumens and 1 hour runtime of incan lamp on E1E...

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Magellan,

I presume this part of the whole quote is yours:

"When you get those ready I'll take one."

Which SingLED in particular you have in mind... Single mode that would support single primary cell is still not possible to assemble as I can't find perfectly safe driver (the one which would cut the power when voltage is below 2.4V, for example)...

If you're thinking about any SingLED from my first post, just hit me with PM about details...

nilfire77

Newly Enlightened

Just received the light engine from Tana! Very impressive!

Workmanship is top notch, fit is great, LED 's tint\CCT\CRI is all up to or even exceeded my own expectations. Keep up the good work Tana!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just received the light engine from Tana! Very impressive!

Workmanship is top notch, fit is great, LED 's tint\CCT\CRI is all up to or even exceeded my own expectations. Keep up the good work Tana!

Thanks for the update, James... put that little thing to a good use... :)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tana, any beamshots of your XPG2 Singled on high?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perfect, thanks Tana! Sorry, I've been following this thread since it began but forgot that beamshot was there. The XPG2 seems to have substantially greater output & throw versus the 219.

Many thanks for the link.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perfect, thanks Tana! Sorry, I've been following this thread since it began but forgot that beamshot was there. The XPG2 seems to have substantially greater output & throw versus the 219.

Many thanks for the link.

XPG2 is more efficient compared to Nichia 219, that's true... however, take in consideration that single mode SingLEDs are set to 700mA while multimodes are set to 1 amp on high... so slightly less efficiency plus 30% less amperage to the LED and the outputs compare like on SparkLite's beamshot photos (thanks SparkLite, I know I thanked already for these but still)...

Although lot of people like raw power of CREE LEDs, I had modded 95% of my stuff to Nichia 219 LEDs... LX2, U2, M3, P60's, TripLEDs, SingLEDs... Quality over quantity... :)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed, but I already have one of your two mode Nichia units in my E2E... Thinking about getting something single mode and bright for my E2D. I'd love a TripLED, but unfortunately don't like that the factory switch can't handle extended run time w/ that mod.

remy b

Newly Enlightened

Hi there !

I have carried and used Tana's modded E2-s for quite a while now, so I thought it was about time I quickly reviewed them…
I am not very technical when it comes to mAh and the likes… I am just an enthusiastic user.

ATM I own a Tripled and 3 Singleds. 2 of the latter will probably go soon because I have another project in mind that will involve Tana's skills again…
As you can see, I am keen on the 2-cell body because it fits my hand perfectly, and provides better runtimes with 17670s.

I carry & use my flashlights on a daily basis, at work and at home. I use them at the workshop, to walk the dog at night, and to go around the house at night because I am an insomniac… I usually carry 2 flashlights : two is one, one is none… I can't see much in the dark, because I am not a bat, see… ? =D

I actually mainly carry the 2-mode Singled (Nichia) in the battered black de-tactical'd E2D. That flashlight has seen a lot of action, around the world… =D The stainless steel bezel is a great addition, I think (I'll stonewash it soon…). It is the E- I'll usually take first.
Second main carry has to be the OD green E2E, with either a 3-mode Singled (Nichia or R5) or the awesome Tripled. Because it is in much better shape OAL, I won't take it to the workshop or when I know I'll do stupid things that day…
All heads also fit my 18650 E- body, which is cool when I need loads of runtime.
The E2D sits on the bedside table – I wonder if she has ever been out…

Emitters :
If you are keen on colour redention, Nichia High-CRI is what you need.
For more lumens, throw and a more focused beam, the R5 is spot on.
Need TONS of flood ? Go for a Tripled.
All beams offer LOADS of spill. Even the more focused R5, so there is no tunnel effect.
I can't measure current, and I am too lazy to check runtimes IRL. And I have forgotten the technical information Tana gave me… But I remember that when I tested the drop-ins when they arrived, output (I compared with a Quark and my modded 6P) & runtime were what Tana had told me. And the beam outclassed my other flashlights in terms of beam quality. I am very sensitive to beam quality and colour redention, for some reason, so I am very happy with those modded E-s.

UIs :
Tana offers 2-mode or 3-mode UIs, with or without memory.
L – M – H are always really well spaced.
Low is what I use the most, esp. indoors.
M & H are for the outdoors.
On H, the Tripled is a good illustration of what a 'Wall of Light' is. On L, the same Tripled is very easy on the eye. So much power in such a compact design… An such colour redention… =D
L on the Singleds is just about perfect for my insomnias for they provide enough light to navigate about the house without waking up my snoring best half… By the way, I suspect she is planning to 'steal' my 2-mode Singled… :/
With or without memory depends on your personal taste. There is no rule, I guess… (I am keener on no-memory).
Same thing for modes. I like how simple a 2-mode UI is.
3-mode flashlights can be more versatile, though…
Even if the original SF switch is enough for Singleds, I prefer McClickies. Tripleds require a McClickie.
That's it for my quick review of Tana's mods.

Bright even in broad daylight… =D

I am now thinking about a new mod…
Maybe based on a 2AA, for travelling…
Maybe just a new drop-in in single mod...

Wait & see.

Have a nice day,

Remy
;)

tjhabak

Enlightened

I have two SingLED's and one TripLED with low voltage drivers (.08-4.2v). Tana built these for me to use on E2L AA bodies. They are the usual top quality work that Tana puts out, and offer pretty decent performance from 2xAA cells. You can also use a single Li-ion cell which makes them a little brighter, and really gives you a lot of versatility. The only drivers he has for these builds are 3 mode. I got mine with mode memory and pretty much use medium mode for everything. If you choose to take this route, you will not be disappointed. Oh, btw.... There are a couple if sites online I've found that sell the battery for the Nitecore MH2A. This is 2x14500 cells in parallel. They are awesome in conjunction with E2L AA bodies'

remy b

Newly Enlightened

Now I feel badly tempted.

Not that I wasn't before, I must say.

It's just a lil' worse now!!!

=D

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, Remy... wow, it's been a long time, my friend... I'm glad to see you're doing good... well, mods as well... :)

:thumbsup:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Somehow this "SingLED" doesn't fit the e-series bezel... :(

Not sure what's happening... :)

Bertrand

Newly Enlightened

Almost looks like it might fit in a M3? :)

Latest posts