To Consider Before You Purchase a Headlamp

Chidwack

Enlightened
Reading about all the great headlamps has just about got me talked into getting a Zebralight. I have NiteIze flashlight holder headbands that work well but I'm thinking that the Zebralight would be better as it's much easier to adjust the beam and I like the idea that it's in the center of my forehead.

ProstheticHead

Newly Enlightened
Very nice summary of issues when making a purchase.

One point I'd add is that I'd feel very uncomfortable about strapping lithium batteries, especially multiple 18650s, to my head. It makes me shudder when I see lights on ebay claiming to drive XM-Ls at 3+A from Ultrafire 18650 cells sealed in a container and strapped to the back of the victims head. Not an issue for most sane headlamps, but likely that some will search ebay and go "OMG teh 1800 Lumenzz!!" without considering safety.

CapeCodJim

Newly Enlightened
Very nice summary of issues when making a purchase.

One point I'd add is that I'd feel very uncomfortable about strapping lithium batteries, especially multiple 18650s, to my head. It makes me shudder when I see lights on ebay claiming to drive XM-Ls at 3+A from Ultrafire 18650 cells sealed in a container and strapped to the back of the victims head. Not an issue for most sane headlamps, but likely that some will search ebay and go "OMG teh 1800 Lumenzz!!" without considering safety.

No worries as long as their protected, right? It's only unprotected cells you have to worry about as far as I know. I only by protected betteries1

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
No worries as long as their protected, right? It's only unprotected cells you have to worry about as far as I know.
I read a longish post in the battery section about how protected Li-Ions have their own set of problems. Zebralight recommended unprotected for their H60. So Bill's correct, you have to remain alert around powerful Li-Ions, protected or unprotected. There's lots of discussion about the safety of Li-Ion in the battery sub-forum so I'd refer you there.

All the same, a note re: Li-Ions added to the battery paragraph, thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:

xul

Enlightened
A 20% increase in intensity may be barely noticeable, if you're concentrating on seeing a difference, but it takes around 100% increase before a beam looks significantly brighter, and intensity must be 300%-400% to look twice as bright.
I assume this is for white light?
You have a link for this? If a factor of 4 gives you twice as bright it implies perceived intensity = sqrt of actual intensity, SQRT(4) = 2, over some intensity range.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what happens when you don't make footnotes--someone always wants the references! They're here, somewhere, on CPF. Here's one thread. And a second. A third. A fourth. Still haven't found the one I was reading while writing the above.

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bolster, is there any reason why your threads don't mention headlamps with 18650's?
I just ordered a Zb H600.
I wanted more lumens than a Spark.
The Spark SD6 seemed too floody?
Plus, the H600 was only 39 grams; the lightest of the lot.
However, you don't like 18650's?
Also, do you know of a good headlamp with a spot beam for a surgeon?
Anything apart from a HP11?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Peter. 18650 is mentioned under #2, battery selection. This decision list is aimed at people new to headlamps, and the rechargeable li-ions are enthusiast's power sources. More power to you if you want to go 18650.

Raven-burg

Newly Enlightened
I though IP stood for ingress protection?
A very well written piece that just makes me want more lights!!!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
It is a sticky in Threads of Interest at the top of the thread index page.

Bill

Last edited:

PappyD

Newly Enlightened
This was very helpful in my decision when looking at headlamps. I have been lurking and learning about the features of each!

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
Love this post! I like how you discuss different professions and activities and how that has a bearing on the beam profile, this is key!

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Great information! Thanks CG for posting and bringing this to the top again. I missed it last time I perused this section.

Lateck,

Spiceman

Newly Enlightened
I think it will be great if a knowledgeable someone can update these "Threads of Interest" since the technology race changed the markets since five (5) years ago.

Shorty66

Enlightened
I think USB-recharging will play a greater role to newcomers in the future. There are some USB-rechargeable lights on the market now and this greatly decreases the impact of having a particular battery type.
Lots of newbs dont want to buy an extra charger to use 18650s but would do if the light was usb rechargeable.