Too many choices for Pocket Flashlight...

hulk_123

Newly Enlightened
How's it going gents and ladies (if you are on here)

I'm new to flashlights and by no means an expert or knowledgeable in this area whatsoever...
I've been researching for a couple days now and honestly I don't know what my final pick is going to be. I would be set on a flashlight, and then next thing u know, someone mentions another flashlight, and so on.

So far I got the basics down of what I think I want:
Smallest, Powerful, but under $50.

Although I had a long list of AAA/AA flashlights, I think these are the choices mostly every1 recommended:
ARC AAA GS
FENIX E01
FENIX LD01- dunno how this compares to E01
LUMAPOWER 21- how does this compare to E01/Arc AAA
LUMAPOWER 31- assuming this is the bigger/brighter version of 21
-Also the LMs have upgradable options, being a newbie, can some1 explain them. (U2 cool white, SMO?)

Thanks,
Tom

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a newbie go out and buy an Eagletac DC25A Clicky or twisty if you prefer that.You will have a first class powerful AA cell light with multi modes.

Once you own that in your hands your life will become really difficult deciding what to buy next.

Forget the EO1,that is a key chain light,very good and much loved but that is all they are.

AaronG

Enlightened
There's a few things to consider. Is this for keychain or just pocket carry? Do you want a clicky button or twist on head? Are you going to use it for extended periods of time or in short bursts? What do you need to illuminate? The E01 and Arc AAA are very low output. The LD01 is a more modern light. If you do go for an LD01 I would look at the stainless steel version for keychain use. It'll be twice the weight but it will look better in the long run.

I like the Fenix lights but they aren't driven as hard as a lot of other manufacturers. The Fenix lights with optics are nice because they don't have a clearly defined hotspot like most reflectored lights. The E05 is a super compact lower output keychain light. E15 is a cr123 powered light that is also very compact but a little thick IMO for keychain. I haven't tried the E11 but the new tail stand body seems interesting.

Also the Sunwayman V10R and V10A are a really cool lights although I wouldn't recommend them for harsh wet and dirty conditions because the variable ring would get clogged and lose it's grease. If your using it in clean conditions it is my favorite light for around the house. The fully variable control is amazing and can be dialed right down to check on the kids when they're sleeping as well as looking for things at night without blinding yourself.

I've eyed up the eagletac D25A titanium clicky but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Personally for a light that is only used in short bursts I like CR123 lights because they're compact and usually higher powered. For longer use lights I use rechargable AA to save money on batteries. AAA to me is a keychain light.

hulk_123

Newly Enlightened
There's a few things to consider. Is this for keychain or just pocket carry? Do you want a clicky button or twist on head? Are you going to use it for extended periods of time or in short bursts? What do you need to illuminate? The E01 and Arc AAA are very low output. The LD01 is a more modern light. If you do go for an LD01 I would look at the stainless steel version for keychain use. It'll be twice the weight but it will look better in the long run.

I like the Fenix lights but they aren't driven as hard as a lot of other manufacturers. The Fenix lights with optics are nice because they don't have a clearly defined hotspot like most reflectored lights. The E05 is a super compact lower output keychain light. E15 is a cr123 powered light that is also very compact but a little thick IMO for keychain. I haven't tried the E11 but the new tail stand body seems interesting.

Also the Sunwayman V10R and V10A are a really cool lights although I wouldn't recommend them for harsh wet and dirty conditions because the variable ring would get clogged and lose it's grease. If your using it in clean conditions it is my favorite light for around the house. The fully variable control is amazing and can be dialed right down to check on the kids when they're sleeping as well as looking for things at night without blinding yourself.

I've eyed up the eagletac D25A titanium clicky but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Personally for a light that is only used in short bursts I like CR123 lights because they're compact and usually higher powered. For longer use lights I use rechargable AA to save money on batteries. AAA to me is a keychain light.

Appreciate the insight, I just realized I did make the mistake of comparing too different lights, keychain and pocket carry. In a sense I wanted a powerful, durable key chain light but one that is also compact and small to fit nicely in my pocket if that makes sense because obviously my keys and stuff are going in my pocket... The flashlights that use the other non-common batteries are nice but I'm not that crazy about lights, just yet haha, and will only stick to the easily accessible and purchases of alkaline batteries.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Appreciate the insight, I just realized I did make the mistake of comparing too different lights, keychain and pocket carry. In a sense I wanted a powerful, durable key chain light but one that is also compact and small to fit nicely in my pocket if that makes sense because obviously my keys and stuff are going in my pocket... The flashlights that use the other non-common batteries are nice but I'm not that crazy about lights, just yet haha, and will only stick to the easily accessible and purchases of alkaline batteries.

Yes, yes, yes, we ALL start out like you, LOL.

For a keychain light, here's what to get:
iTP A3 EOS 96 Lumen Flashlight - Upgrade Version 1 X AAA battery (be sure to get XP-G R5 emitter)
- $21
I EDC the stainless steel version of this light, which costs about $10 more. THIS is my real recommendation, the SS version.

These lights are a little hard to find, but I just looked and saw some on Amazon.
[h=1]Then get two of these - UltraFire 10440 AAA Li-Ion 3.6V Rechargeable Battery 500 mAh FLAT TOP CR10440 Lithium Ion - $3 each and an appropriate Li-ion Battery charger[/h]This little sucker will crank out over 300 lumens for short bursts. A true pocket rocket. And the SS version looks beautiful too. You want to make sure to get the 'Upgrade' version, as that has three modes, and it always comes on in 'lo', so it won't burn a hole in your pants if it accidentally turns on. Though I have been carrying mine for two years and it has never turned on accidentally.

This light will also happily run on standard Alkaline AAA.

hulk_123

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the responses again. Actually now I'm thinking of getting a whole arsenal of lights for household, emergency, camping/hiking use now lol. What started as a key chain light for me to use on my motorcycle during night rides became a "well since i'm researching I might as well get these as well" thing. I wasnt sure if I am supposed to start a completely new thread because I just upped my question to like a short essay, so if I posted this wrong, I apologize.

What I'm looking to purchase:
- 2 lanterns
- 2 headlamps,
- 2 key chain lights
-2 low powered flashlights, preferable with 2 or 3 modes
-2 medium powered flashlights, preferable with 2 or 3 modes
-Bonus: moonlight mode for the lower powered flashlights
low lasting a pretty decent amount of time 10+ hours
Med, enough to do average tasks
High, not sure how powerful needs to be, if some1 can give me a good clarification on how much is good for me, that would be great
Wet proof to the point where rain won't damage the flashlight or if I drop it in a puddle
Durable enough that if I drop it on a rock or step on it, it wont break
Takes alkalines or lithium AAs, if it can take the other abnormal batteries, that would be great but don't really plan on buying abnormal batteries
*No parasitic drain*

Flashlight experience:
I haven't bought a decent flashlight in probably 5+ years, the ones in my house are old as hell
The only "good" quality flashlight to my virgin eyes are the cheap "china" flashlights that take 3 AAA batteries and are LEDs.
-If someone can explain how powerful those flashlights are and how much throw they would have, I could get a sense on what type of flashlight I would need…

I pretty much just looked at numerous threads (best small flashlight, emergency flashlights, etc,etc…) and every flashlight that was mentioned by more than couple of people, I listed it down. However, I did take some flashlights off the list due to their price or I just couldn't find them through google. I also would appreciate the help if someone can clarify the newer model names. Some of the threads I researched were pretty old so by the time I researched the flashlight models, they were different model names ,types, different light usages, etc so I wasn't sure exactly what I needed to buy or look for.

All in all, I wish to spend around 15-20 on the lower powered flashlights, 30-40 for the higher powered flashlights, 30 for headlamps and lanterns as well.

Flashlights-
Xeno e03- different types
INOVA X5 : $30 (popular)
ARC AAA gs- $45
CMG infinity lights- $16 (popular), low powered
Pro polymer AA : takes 4 AA? Is there a 2 AA?
Fenix l2d - $50
quark mini – $50, different generations? (popular)
Quark standard AA – different types, cant find (popular)
Quark 2AA- different types
Fenix e01- $10 (popular), low powered
Princeton tec attitude
EagleTac D25A Mini Clicky (recently added), about $50
Photon freedom microlight (recently added), $15, seems perfect for a key chain light

Headlamps-
Photon fusion headlamp
Petzl tikka+
inova 24/7 headlamp +
Zebra h501w- unavailable
Princeton tech quad head light

Lanterns-(didn't really research too much on lanterns yet)
River Rock K2 3xAA

I'm pretty much doing a survey-like research to narrow down on what flashlight I need. All flashlights that are mentioned by more than 1 person, I write it down on my list and I just research them to see if they fit my criteria, if not, I just take them off my list 1 by 1. I know it's going to be impossible to find the "perfect" flashlight being that everyone has their own preferences and flashlights they love, but I'm just trying to narrow down my search as much as possible if you know what I mean.

I'll be editing/updating the list as I do more research...

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... now I'm thinking of getting a whole arsenal of lights for household, emergency, camping/hiking.....use on my motorcycle

Wow... that's a serious gearhead list to dive into all at one time. I use my lights for the same things and have half of the products you've listed, and even more and better stuff. I'll probably be the odd man out here (I always am), but with all that behind me, I've gone completely the opposite way and now prefer to use a single light for everything (or multiple copies of the same light, so even if both fail, as long as it's not the same part, I can Lego a working light from otherwise dead parts).

Take camping for example, since that really covers the full range of lighting needs. I just use my EDC light as a flashlight, lantern and hands-free "necklamp" with my wallet-able DIY Kit - it gives me 80% of the functionality for about 2% of the bulk and weight and having all on my person 24/7 is priceless. If I want more power, run a 14500 Li-ion ... more runtime, run a 2xAA tube (which doubles as great spare battery container). Emergency runtime ~200 hrs/AA, Max brightness ~300 lms.

Just another perspective... but I'm gearhead too and it's also fun to buy all the paraphernalia.

hulk_123

Newly Enlightened
Wow... that's a serious gearhead list to dive into all at one time. I use my lights for the same things and have half of the products you've listed, and even more and better stuff. I'll probably be the odd man out here (I always am), but with all that behind me, I've gone completely the opposite way and now prefer to use a single light for everything (or multiple copies of the same light, so even if both fail, as long as it's not the same part, I can Lego a working light from otherwise dead parts).

Take camping for example, since that really covers the full range of lighting needs. I just use my EDC light as a flashlight, lantern and hands-free "necklamp" with my wallet-able DIY Kit - it gives me 80% of the functionality for about 2% of the bulk and weight and having all on my person 24/7 is priceless. If I want more power, run a 14500 Li-ion ... more runtime, run a 2xAA tube (which doubles as great spare battery container). Emergency runtime ~200 hrs/AA, Max brightness ~300 lms.

Just another perspective... but I'm gearhead too and it's also fun to buy all the paraphernalia.

Yea I was actually thinking about that as I was doing my research. Ultimately some of these flashlights do have multi-uses. The only non comparable light I believe is a headlamp or a flashlight that can be used as a headlamp, since thats the only possible way of being "hands free." Can you recommend me a flashlight that uses 1AA but has a 2xAA tube just incase I need more power or runtime...

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
FourSeven Quark line... in various flavors of emitters, UIs, reflectors. I personally like the floody beam and quick access to all modes of the QP2A-X w/optional 1xAA tube.

Blueskies123

Newly Enlightened
. THIS is my real recommendation, the SS version.

Agreed, this is the only one to get for EDC on a keychain. Looks sharp and the extra weight in not significant.

hulk_123

Newly Enlightened
Reppans: Being a noob, I'm not sure what I want/need regarding the various emitters, UIs, reflectors, etc. I do know I want a optional 1XAA tube.

Blueskies: Apologize, but what flashlight for the SS version?

Also can you guys recommend where its a good place to buy flashlights. So far I a lot of people are mentioning batteryjunction...

Last edited:

HarkForI

Newly Enlightened
For a keychain light, here's what to get:
iTP A3 EOS 96 Lumen Flashlight - Upgrade Version 1 X AAA battery (be sure to get XP-G R5 emitter)
- $21
I EDC the stainless steel version of this light, which costs about $10 more. THIS is my real recommendation, the SS version.

These lights are a little hard to find, but I just looked and saw some on Amazon.
Then get two of these - UltraFire 10440 AAA Li-Ion 3.6V Rechargeable Battery 500 mAh FLAT TOP CR10440 Lithium Ion - $3 eachand an appropriate Li-ion Battery charger

After lurking for a couple of weeks now (having just found this - one of my new fav. sites), I had narrowed down my choices for keychain light. This post confirmed what I Need. I also want to get the batteries recommended here by Chevy-SS. I have tried to understand the Li-Ion charger issue though - reading some of the other threads, and have only found Li-Ion chargers that make you charge two of these 10440's at a time. So I've missed something in my search. Can anyone let me know a Li-Ion charger that will work with these 10440's one at a time and handle the battery correctly if I leave it in too long or put it into the charger while not fully discharged? I promise I will educate myself better on this issue - just anxious to get a real light in my life instead of the drugstore one I have now. (I have weak vision combined with night blindness so I will be here more in the future.)

I am going to have to get the non-ssteel version (at first, will keep searching) as I searched ebay, amazon, other threads recommended websites (goinggear etc,) and the web in general and cannot find the ss version anywhere (except from Hong Kong with not enough information in the ebay ad for me to feel comfortable I will get the correct thing).

Thanks for any help on the charger - love this place.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to th fenix website and they have all those lights you cant go wrong with Fenix thats what i did when i needed a whole new set a few years ago

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Emanon0825

Newly Enlightened
I recently started looking into quality flashlights as well and a couple of months ago i bought the fenix ld22 because i thought it was a nice versatile light to have as a first light. I have been very happy with it and is more than bright enough for my uses and the quality and feel of the light is excellent.

I did however want a light that i could carry with me and at this point i wanted to stick to 1xaa lights because i can use readily available cells if needed an i dont think im interested in the lion cells. So i ended up getting the eagletac d25a clicky with an xp-g2 emitter and i couldnt reccomend it more! Its a nice combination of flood and throw and tint is really great. Its a nice size to pocket carry and what i really like is the moon mode of .5 lumens that is plenty to use with dark adapted eyes.

i dont have any foursevens but if you like the legoability of the light than im sure sure they are great quality. If you look on the their website you will see the 1aa tubes in their accesories section. If i understand correctly, essentially you screw the head and tailcap on a smaller 1xaa size tube.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I haven't tried the E11 but the new tail stand body seems interesting.

Unfortunately it does not tail stand even though it looks this way in some photos. Shame on you Fenix! Otherwise I would buy 3 right now!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the 47s 1xAA tube is listed on their site in their accessory section, don't think we're allowed to post links here.

I have most of the lights recently mentioned... and to each his own, of course, but my favorite is still the Quark AAX for the following reasons : lego-able for different batt and custom configs or field repair; runs any chemistry between 0.9-4.2v with full current regulation and all lower modes retained, 200 hr per AA brightish moonlight (a favorite camping and emergency mode), 10yr warranty, and about the best US-based customer service in this price range (never needed yet).

A Fenix or Nitcore headband works well with this light too.