torch to find owls in the forest

jomox

Newly Enlightened
Good info on this thread, It's something I like doing and will look to get a torch just for that job if the ones I get are not up to it. Around here there is many owl's, I've had one land pretty much right infront of me to catch a rabbit once, was a nice experience. You hear them communicating every night.

I'll possibly have a E40 soon, but not sure before you order, if I do get it before you order anything I'll let you know if it's powerful enough. I'd imagine you would want something more powerful though for this purpose personally, but I'm also new to this so can't say for certain myself untill I've tested. However I think it's important to still go with a trusted company that are well known to be good around here as the overall quality will be much better. (Which is why possibly go for something like Fenix, Eagletac, 4sevens etc)

You can order straight from the Fenix uk website but maybe this link will be handy to you incase you spot something else to look at:

Link removed please read the banner at the top of the page

However links to Dealer's or Manufacturer's websites or other sellers outside of the CPF MarketPlace will NOT be permitted in this forum and such links stand to be removed by a moderator. Persistent violations of this policy may result in the loss of posting privileges.

Norm

If you look on there, there is some affordable but power torches like the Link Removed EagleTac P20C2 Mark II [/URL], but not sure how the tint is on this. Olight also do some powerful ones quite cheap. But as said I'm also new to this, so best to ask others for reassurance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Hey Ezeriel
thanks for your comment. I am in the UK, so would that mean that I cant follow your recommendation? Figured I can email them and see. Am yet to learn about the 18650s, but if this is the power source I need then I will def do so; I've gleaned that these need alot of respect.
And thanks for your comment on the brightness, so hard to understand what I'll get for my money, so great to get a personal validation (or not!). So do you say these torches are less powerful than the E40? Just they state figures of around 800 Lumens cf the E40s 220, so further adding to my torch confusion?!
thanks

it's hard to tell how a light, will light things up just by looking at the lumens.

I have a TK45, and an E40 from fenix
the TK45 is in the 750 lumens, the E40 is 200

for total output the TK45 is a monster, it's a search and rescue type of light, and it lights-up a huge area
the E40 is a laserbeam of light, throwing a spot of light you'd expect to see out of a much larger spotlight

they both shine just as far, and if you are looking at something 350 feet away, they are just as good

the E40 however puts all of it's 200 lumens into it's hotspot, so there is very little light spilling out into your surroundings
the TK45 spills light all over they place making it good for walking around

the TK45 is for looking at a house, the E40 is for looking at the chimney

budget lights from DX type retailers are at best using emitter lumens and bragging, and at worst they straight-up lie

shiningbeam is US based. He can ship international, but most people don't wanna wait, and there are fenix dealers everywhere.

Last edited:

doctoradh

Newly Enlightened
Hey Jomox
thanks for your reply. I'd be dead interested to hear your verdict on the E40. Am still really unsure about what torch to go for, and after all this talk on the forum am not really any nearer to finding the right torch. Aside from the E40 the only other candidate I can see from here is the Xeno G42 V2.

And Ezeriel thanks again for your reply, thats really helpful. I cant help but wonder whether the E40 will be very similar in performance to my LED Lenser P7, which puts out a similar 200 lumens from the same batteries, which on full zoom is very focused?
thanks
Adam

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
New update. Saablusters modded TN31 DONE! little spendy but hey its the farthest throwing LED flashlight ever and its neutral white and has a tight hotspot from the de-dome.