Toughest EDC Folder?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Great post! My Benchmades may not be built like my Sebenza, but I like them better and to tell the truth, they've never let me down and they allow me to get the job done better too.

TimAckerman

Newly Enlightened
I've owned various Benchmades (705, 710, 941, 520) but all were sold when I bought a Sebenza. I have a large and small and just don't feel the urge to purchase folders anymore (well besides random urges for more Sebenza's!!!) IMO the Sebenza can't be beat as a folder

Raytech

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a small plain sebenza and it is my favorite. I have several other...Strider SNG, Benchmade Mini Rukus, Emerson Commander. If you want something "like" a sebby the Bradley Cutlery Alias or Alias II are very close. You can find some good deals if you search the net. I see the Alias for $230 and the Alias II for $205. It's more than what you wanted to spend but if you save for a while longer you won't be disappointed. And if you save even longer you can get "the real thing" I can truley say there is nothing like a sebenza.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I really like that Alias II. Verrrry cool. We'll see how work is this summer, maybe I'll save up and look for one of those. Definitely fits the bill. :rock:

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
If you want a tank like folder then the Zero tolerance irange is what you are after - if you manage to break one then there warrety will fix it. Simple as that.
The ZT301 is probaly the toughest model but the ZT500 MUDD is definately one you should look at as its impervious to most stuff you will encounter.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there really such a thing as a tough folder.

The spyderco Military is probably one of the strongest I ever used, but it still would not be able to handle what a fixed blade would do. Such as batoning a piece of wood on a regular basis.

Last edited:

100eyes

Newly Enlightened

The spyderco Military is probably one of the strongest I ever used, but it still would not be able to handle what a fixed blade would do. Such as batoning a piece of wood on a regular basis.

Of course there are such things. Price not being a concern - CRK Sebenza, Strider SNG/SMF, Zero Tolerance 0300, Lone Wolf T3, Extrema Ratio RAO, etc. are knives known to be super tough. Different league even compared to the Military.

I definitely wouldn't use it for batoning in any case, but I personally like a 6" or larger blade for jobs like that anyway. Not many folding knives come in that size.

I don't think enough description was given for what type of knife the OP is looking for, as there are just so many other factors as well. Many aspects are personal preference as well, like the blade grind type and shape.

IMO, the only real foolproof choices out there(for under $100) are Delica/Endura and Griptilian/Mini-Griptilian. The only warning I have is against Cold Steel folders - decent knives, but only a 1-year warranty.

gollum

Enlightened

this is a good point as any folder will potentially fail in some way

I use knives all the time and also make them,
I've had pocket lint clog a few lockbacks without being aware until I start cutting or have to stop and un-clog when time is of the essence.

Liner locks are generally less trouble and I usually prefer them.
spyderco seem to have the one handed opening lockback perfected if thats what an individual prefers.
I really like the security factor of dual lock mechanisms, this is a valuable feature if you're using a folder in wet/muddy and difficult ergonomic situations,something I find often.
For years I always used the kershaw lockback with the full rubber handle for skinning and gutting fish and game etc...its the only knife I could hold onto reliably.

Above all these choices,a fixed blade would out perform most tasks easily,(IMHO) over a folder... thats is why I make small fixed blades occasionally
as this is such a good compromise... you get an indestructable,dependable un-complicated format with the bonus of pocket carry or neck carry.

a good neck carry fixed blade is a good cheap option... cold steel make an excellent one.
This what I make....

RIMG0001.jpg

IMGP4436.jpg

this format gives good all round ability but is sadly under-rated.
I'm a big fan of folders but when it comes to toughness and tough jobs in most cases its a fixed blade that will win.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to decide between:

- Chris Reeve Umnumzaan (maybe Large Sebenza)
- Rick Hinderer XM-18 3" flipper (maybe 3.5")
- Strider SnG DGG
- Bradley Alias I (although I'd probably do the Sebbie over this)
- Benchmade LFTi (although again I'd probably do the Sebbie over this)

As my non-corporate setting, tough workhorse medium sized folder. Must have a good grip, ideally can be used wearing gloves, and have decent blade thickness with a solid tip/point. No tanto, plain blade only.
2.95" < blade < 4"
4" < handle < 5"
.115"/.12" thick min
6.75" < OAL < 9"

Which should I get? Any other recs? I think I've ruled out the Spyderco Millie/Para, Benchmade Rukus and all other Axis locks.

On the Umnum, how are the handle grooves? Smoothed out, or sharpish? Will it tear up pockets?

Thanks

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised you ruled out a military, but you are considering a sebenza?

I do not know what type of "tough use" you will be doing, but the sebenza has a thin edge and the blade can unlock if the knife is twisted in a counter clockwise position.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised you ruled out a military, but you are considering a sebenza?

I do not know what type of "tough use" you will be doing, but the sebenza has a thin edge and the blade can unlock if the knife is twisted in a counter clockwise position.

Want a bit more robust point than the one on the Millie. Plus ratio-wise, the handle is just way too big compared to the blade length. I had a small Seb and the lock was always fine. I'm sure the unlocking is probably a possibility for all framelocks, but I'm not that concerned about that.

Will be primarily cutting and slicing and shaving/carving and general all-around, with some tip prying. The XM-18 tip seems the best right now.

Picks right now are the XM-18 and SnG, with the Umnum a distant 3rd.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
I find in general with framelocks that if you have a solid grip on one, your grip will serve to keep the the lockbar in the open position and will not allow the blade to close.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
You guys are talking about a lot of tough, beautiful knives here, and with good reason. All of the knives mentioned have a steller track record of performance and quality. I'm gonna go against the grain a little bit, though, and mention one of my all time favorites that never fails to ride either on my hip or in my daypack on every deer hunting trip I take; that is my Case Sod Buster. Not just any Sod Buster but one of those manufactiured between 1970 and 1980, with a brass liner lock. Case XX Knife Item # 092-SOD BUSTER JET BLACK SYNTHETIC HANDLE
Case Knife Pattern Number: 2138L SS-Blade:Single Skinner W/Etching
Length Closed: 4 5/8 ". They were only manufactured for 3 or 4 years but you can still find them for sale. A used one can be had for anywhere from $25.00 up to $40.00, with an unused, unsharpened collector knife coming in at around $60 to $70. Nothing fancy, smooth SS blade, easy to sharpen, plain black micarta handle with a brass liner lock, with a warranty that lasts for the life of the owner. I have several of them, and in 30 years, I've never had one fail or had to send one back for repairs. Quite possibly the most perfect single blade pocket knife in existance, IMHO. Check out the warranty and the pattern number at the W.R. Case and Sons website. I've always been a fan of the understated, low profile things in life. This one's a prime example. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another knife that it is a tough little guy; the Strider PT.

I do not think of ANY slip joint as a tough knife. There is nothing anyone can say to change my mind. I DO own some custom slippies.