Travel flashlight for late night village walks

chx1975

Newly Enlightened
I ended up with a Princeton Tec Byte headlamp after learning about tilting headlamps. This thing is amazing. Just what I wanted. I can see very well where I step and it's pitch dark outside of a nice, focused beam.

terjee

Enlightened
I ended up with a Princeton Tec Byte headlamp after learning about tilting headlamps. This thing is amazing. Just what I wanted. I can see very well where I step and it's pitch dark outside of a nice, focused beam.

Awesome when people find what's right for them, and things really work out. :)

Partly out of curiousity; Did you get a backup light as well, such as a keychain light? I can't recommend having a backup highly enough.

The Lumintop Tool AAA (already mentioned previously in this thread) is a good option. I EDC one, but I'm probably replacing it with a EagleTac D25AAA.

If you do decide to get one, it's worth giving some thought into emitter type. Nichia (available for either of those I think) has *much* nicer colour-rendering, and is overall a great choice, but others will give you about twice the amount of light for the same battery life.

chx1975

Newly Enlightened
My phone works well as a backup. It does this thing where just shaking it switches on the flash. Good for backup.

I am using the Byte almost daily as I am here and now I am used to walking on stairs by just the red light. Keeps the battery going on forever. Also, the strap helps securing my hood. I'm really grateful for LeanBurn telling me that tilting headlamps even exist :)

The Fenix HL10 very neatly dropped in price. I might upgrade to it :)

Last edited: