• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Tri-EDC Light Engine Upgrade with Programmable Driver

bubble

Enlightened
SOYCD..

I would like to know if there is a way to un program the strobe and what is the procedure, ,please?

I did the 8 taps from the memorized strobe then the 3 taps once it started flashing but I only managed to add a mode and not to remove the strobe.
my idea was to replace the strobe by a high level mode..

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - the easiest thing to do would be to delete the strobe mode and then add another mode from the one before it.

With Strobe memorized:
Do the 8-click thing.
Do a 6-click to delete the strobe - remember that you have to hold down the button on the 6th click.

This should remove it.

I think the key to "getting" the programming is that you have to hold the click on the last one so the it registers and takes action for that click. If you don't hold it then it just sits there waiting for another click.

bubble

Enlightened
Thank you, Sean..
I did exactly what you said.. Success!
Thanks again..

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Hoping this ole project will not be dead.... Need another for my other tri edc...

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
No - the project isn't dead. I actually have all the parts I need to do the assembly. As soon as the flashlight gods afford me some time I hope to get these all done.

bubble

Enlightened
I am definitely also in for one..
but It will go so fast once they will be available.

d337944

Enlightened
Great workmanship and product Sean - I gotta try to grab one from the next batch! :thumbsup:

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
I have a Tri-EDC and want one of these extremely badly.. I missed one last time by a few days... I hope I do not miss this next batch... My current Tri-EDC is daily carry and the light engine sometimes blinks on low with a new recharged battery, and then, it goes away when I change modes... So, I am anxious to replace it with one of these... Any of you guys that bought one of these engines without having a Tri-EDC, let me know if you want to sell yours.. I am really in the market for one... Thanks.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I should make the requirement for the sale of the next round be that you actually own a Tri-EDC. :p LOL.........

As things are winding down for the summer and may have some free time I'll try to get these done in the next month. I have to check how many copper slugs I have but I think there will be at least 6 LEs available. I'll pre-post here when they will go up for sale and will split it with half going on sale in the morning and half going on sale in the evening to be far to our International CPF friends.

I really like the tint of the Nichia 219B, so I think I will make at least a few available with that LED.

As a little teaser I'll tell you the driver I've decided on for these. It is a 105C AMC1735 based driver running STAR firmware at 4.5Amps. An AW18350 will easily push that amount of current.

• 4-levels (2% - 50mA, 15% ~400mA, 40% ~1.5A, 100% - 4.5A)
  • 90-second turbo step down. Steps down form 100% level to 40% level after 90 sec so you don't blow up your light. I've tested this with one of the heavy copper slugs and the light still gets quite hot. Without this step down you would definitely fry something.
  • Additional Option via star bridges
    • Additional moonlight mode (approx. 15mA)
    • No-memory/memory option (no hybrid option)
    • LMH or HML level order

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I should make the requirement for the sale of the next round be that you actually own a Tri-EDC. :p LOL.........

As a little teaser I'll tell you the driver I've decided on for these. It is a 105C AMC1735 based driver running STAR firmware at 4.5Amps. An AW18350 will easily push that amount of current.

Yes, maybe... I read the Mac Forum today and there are all sorts of rumors regarding Mac... ie. someone said that he is out of the flashlight business and only trying to fill his existing orders... I did notice that his website is not working... So, who knows what is happening... Your driver sounds great !! 4.5 amps ! I am drooling !!

PS. Regarding the sale, I hope us west coast, California people, do not wake up and find the LEs already gone. A reasonable West Coast sell time would be cool. Thanks.

Last edited:

IsaacL

Enlightened
The usual suspect is a faulty/worn out McClicky switch. It's happened to quite a few Tri-EDC's (mine included). I put together a troubleshooting and repair guide to address this issue. There's a good chance your LE is 100% fine.

I have a Tri-EDC and want one of these extremely badly.. I missed one last time by a few days... I hope I do not miss this next batch... My current Tri-EDC is daily carry and the light engine sometimes blinks on low with a new recharged battery, and then, it goes away when I change modes... So, I am anxious to replace it with one of these... Any of you guys that bought one of these engines without having a Tri-EDC, let me know if you want to sell yours.. I am really in the market for one... Thanks.

This is exciting news Sean! My Tri-EDC makeover is almost complete. It's got a new gasket, fluorosilicone o-ring, sapphire lens, and a Steve Ku e-switch. Just looking for a cool custom LE :D

As things are winding down for the summer and may have some free time I'll try to get these done in the next month. I have to check how many copper slugs I have but I think there will be at least 6 LEs available. I'll pre-post here when they will go up for sale and will split it with half going on sale in the morning and half going on sale in the evening to be far to our International CPF friends.

I really like the tint of the Nichia 219B, so I think I will make at least a few available with that LED.

• 4-levels (2% - 50mA, 15% ~400mA, 40% ~1.5A, 100% - 4.5A)
  • 90-second turbo step down. Steps down form 100% level to 40% level after 90 sec so you don't blow up your light. I've tested this with one of the heavy copper slugs and the light still gets quite hot. Without this step down you would definitely fry something.
  • Additional Option via star bridges
    • Additional moonlight mode (approx. 15mA)
    • No-memory/memory option (no hybrid option)
    • LMH or HML level order

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
So here's the update. I have been having a hell of a time getting a good neutral XP-G2 tint in a high bin. So, I am going to move forward with all of the light engines sporting Nichia 219B LEDs. I built one up for myself and when running at 4.5A they put out a serious amount of light and the tint is amazing. I think you guys will be pleased.