TrustFire TR-J12

OpenTrackRacer

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised to see that there are no discussions about the TrustFire TR-J12. I just received mine after waiting a month and it's a pretty impressive light. It'll be replacing my TrustFire SSC P7 for abandoned mine exploration duty and it's significantly brighter (as one would expect) with a slightly more focused beam pattern. It'll accept 26650 batteries but I'm using it with a pair of 18650's for now since I have a ton of UltraFire's and pulls. I'll be taking it underground for the first time this weekend and will follow up with more info after.

In the meantime, a few pictures of the TR-J12 and the old SSC P7...

TrustFire1.jpg

TrustFire2.jpg

Last edited:

texas cop

Enlightened
For the price, output and size its a light I think I'll be buying. Going 1.5 amp each xm-l its heat should be easy to manage. As far as the 26650 batteries I've picked up a few for other lights so not a big issue. I'm also surprized this light hadn't gotten a bit more attention. It looks about the size of a 3 cell maglites, with output well over most maglites conversions. For those who have one how good are they?

warmurf

Enlightened
Mine landed today! Will take her out tonight for a test fire- will let you know after that. Appears well made. Comes with a holster of sorts. Appears great value. I have a custom built 5 x XML from Vestureofblood, so I'll see how this cranks against that one.

warmurf

Enlightened
Well I've taken it out tonight, and the general observation is great. The hi-lights of the flashlight- has great throw for a multi emitter- greater than the DRY. Not as floody as I expected, which is OK. It is under powered at 1.4 amps per LED however this has the benifits of giving it longer run time and the heat dones't become a problem, and that's at full belt for 10 minutes- still OK to handle the head. No issues with the modes- does have the annoying strobe and SOS but that's life. Low is pretty high, but I'm OK with that (probably 300 lumens?). Feels great in the hand, well balanced, not too heavy. For 70 odd buckets great value! I may get another!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of those for giggles and it turned out to be a nice light. Bright (on high), too many strobes, runs quite a long time on low. Just don't go into a cave or out onto the ocean with this as your only light. Always carry a backup-or two.

OpenTrackRacer

Newly Enlightened
I did some battery rundown tests last night with two 18650 batteries. On a set of pulls of unknown quality, the light ran for 35 minutes. It managed 45 minutes on good Panasonic pulls and about the same on a set of older UltraFire batteries. Unfortunately, one of the UltraFires died in the process! High current draw indeed!

Enlightened
I did some battery rundown tests last night with two 18650 batteries. On a set of pulls of unknown quality, the light ran for 35 minutes. It managed 45 minutes on good Panasonic pulls and about the same on a set of older UltraFire batteries. Unfortunately, one of the UltraFires died in the process! High current draw indeed!

You need to run protected cells with this. Best is if you can do 26650, either IMRs like MKNE or the Trustfire Flames 26650 protected. The TF Flames line is actually pretty good, even HKJ acknowledges that it is quite good. Check out the Trustfire Flames tests at budgetlightforums, much more info there.

3Diver

Newly Enlightened
I also have one of these lights very nice indeed! problem with mine is i couldnt get it to run with 2 18650 or 3 18650's??? just too short by at least 1cm to touch the tailcap, it does however run perfect on 3 26650 trustfires, so far my light has seen about 10hrs total runtime without a hitch.