TV B Gone

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I almost posted this in the Cafe but decided it really belongs here.
The maker's site is down http://www.tvbgone.com/ so here is a link to Wired News good story I thought.

[ QUOTE ]
Altman's key-chain fob was a TV-B-Gone, a new universal remote that turns off almost any television. The device, which looks like an automobile remote, has just one button. When activated, it spends over a minute flashing out 209 different codes to turn off televisions, the most popular brands first

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of like a cell phone blocker but a little less intrusive. Though one of my first thoughts was going into a retailer and turning off a wall of sets. The cost is supposed to be in the $15 range.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Their site is up and down. The wired article has brought too much traffic. Try back later. I will. I am gonna buy one of these things. After 12 years of not watching tv, I especially hate it now and would love such a device.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Less intrusive? This is a device invented by and marketed to sociopathic elitists. It's more intrusive since it will turn off a TV that people are presumably watching, whereas a cell jammer doesn't allow calls to begin in the first place. It also gives the user a conscious power to allow or disallow TV viewing based on personal preference, whereas the jammer blocks everything. Lastly, it's almost surely going to be used by a "lone gunman" who owns neither the TV itself nor the property upon which the TV is being used.

Clever, but uber-lame.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
Less intrusive? This is a device invented by and marketed to sociopathic elitists.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should sell well here on CPF.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Frangible

Enlightened
Gotta agree with Tylerdurden. Amusing in theroy, but in practice, it will be used by assholes to shut off TVs they don't own.

turbodog

Flashaholic
How many times have you been eating in a restaurant with friends/etc with a tv blaring and no other patrons around?

If you read all the info, you'll notice that it can be used to turn the tv back on when you leave.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever go into a store that sells electronics and you hear numerous stereos tuned to different stations that someone turned to max volume to "test it out" and then just walked away leaving them blaring? How about a remote that will shut down that racket? It should also work on the vehicle next to yours that is rattling your windows. That I might buy just for some laughs.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I don't wanna sound like an SEA, but turn off your tv for a MONTH or TWO. That should be long enough to break the habit. Then you'll start to notice just how invasive the tv has become.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
How many times have you been eating in a restaurant with friends/etc with a tv blaring and no other patrons around?

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, it's usually not very difficult to just walk up to the TV and turn it off or ask the manager.

Frangible

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Restaurant is private property, and that TV is not yours. Respect the property of others. You don't have to go to that restaurant. Don't go on private property unless you choose to.

I agree, it can be annoying, but if it ain't yours, don't mess with it imo.

TomH

Newly Enlightened
Too bad somebody doesn't come out with a cell phone jammer the size of the TV-B-Gone. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, and enjoy every time I used it!

Turbodog stated that the TV has become intrusive, I agree, but not as much as the annoying cell phone has.

TomH

Newly Enlightened
Too bad somebody doesn't come out with a cell phone jammer the size of the TV-B-Gone. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, and enjoy every time I used it!

Turbodog stated that the TV has become intrusive, I agree, but not as much as the annoying cell phone has.

Latest posts