U.S. Postal Service is refusing ship lithium-ion products overseas

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not simply a USPS policy. It's an international agreement.

Some countries seem to be more strict than others, but care to post your source? I can't imagine China / Hong Kong no longer being able to ship Li-ion batteries. That would cut down on so many sales.

Have there been any recent press releases from other countries regarding this new regulation?

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast

2010 regulations, nothing seems new...

Yes, I'm well aware that USPS has banned the shipment of Li-ions to overseas including APO/FPO addresses. But I'm still looking for proof that other countries have adopted this new strict policy.

From the article you linked:
fastcompany said:
Although the Postal Service claims to be adhering to international regulations, their strict ban on any international lithium battery shipment is semi-exceptional--among major worldwide postal services, only the
Australia Post
has a similar regulation. Other major postal services have less stringent rules; the
Royal Mail
(U.K.), for instance, allows smartphones, iPads, and Kindles while forbidding laptop computer batteries, and Japan Post restricts lithium batteries to slower sea mail. Yet other services, such as the German Bundespost, still allow international air mail of lithium batteries within stringent safety requirements.

So it looks like only a couple countries have such strict policies.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember there was potential issues with shipping Lithium cells back in 2009 when R@ndom organised a local "Battery Station" CR123a group buy, to ship those items now I imagine they'd expect the cell packs removed entirely?

LloydV

Newly Enlightened
this severely impacts my ability to get cheap li batteries in nz... the alternatives to usps are much more costly.

N10

Newly Enlightened
what about ordering integrated battery packs such as those used in laptops,digital SLR cameras or the battery handles of an OLIGHT SR series light? are those restricted also?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does USPS ship Li-ion to Canada? As in drive trucks across the border via ground? I've looked high and low but can't find the answer.

loquutis79

Enlightened
The thing is, if those places were to read the law correctly, and to assume I am understading it correctly, is that if single 18650's are packaged in a way as to make them safe they can ship them.
For instance the way EagleTac has them first in a cello wrap bag and then in a cardboard box. The way I understood it this is legal. Also the fact that single li-ions come in well below the max. limit for the actual metals that are of concern.
I am in Canada. After this hit the fan I e-mailed four of the common stores we all know of here on CPF, two of which I have bought from in the past. Only one of them said that it is no problem, that they do ship according to law and always have. The other three stores? I don't know. They are confused or just don't want to bother, I don't really know.
I wish they sort this out as my supply here in Canada is limited. I only know of a few places local to me and that is fine as long as their supply chain stays open.

Arizona_Dan

Newly Enlightened
622.5 cited in post #8 was revised with Postal Bulletin issued on May 3, 2012. Link ...

"Revised to indicate that primary lithium metal or lithium alloy cells and batteries (nonrechargeable), or secondary lithium-ion cells or batteries (rechargeable) are prohibited when mailed internationally or to and from an APO, FPO, or DPO location."

navarrma

Newly Enlightened
So has anyone discovered an acceptable way to order Lithium Batteries, I purchase most of my electronics based on my love for 18650 cells, but I'm in the Navy and now that i'm deployed I keep getting denied by amazon and couple other companies when I try to purchase even two cells. I have an FPO/AP address and don't think I'll be pulling in to any countries with a dedicated battery store for probably the next 6+ months. I just ordered a Klarus XT11 and a Xeno EO3 V3 from BladeHQ.com as my first flashlights in the hobby and I had to request that they didn't ship with batteries because I already have to wait 3 weeks for my mail and don't want to bother with a delay or turnaround.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reason given "because the batteries can explode".

Norm

they do sometimes

IMG-20120917-00139.jpg

Samy

Enlightened
I emailed lighthound.com who i usually get my 18650's from and they informed me that their packaging meets the postal regulation. So i ordered a bunch of AW 3100mah 18650's and they turned up across the seas in the usual 1-2 week delivery time. Great company to deal with!

cheers

Dubois

Enlightened
I just had an order for 18650's refunded because Hong Kong Post and China post are refusing to ship li-ions on their own, without being in a flashlight or ecig. They had the package returned to them. They did say it was because of a "big government meeting " later this month in China, and that things will get back to normal when that has finished. I assume this is the meeting to anoint a new Chinese government.

Still, ties in with Electroguru's note that it will get better in January.