Ultra light backpacking.

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
I guess I would consider myself an ultralight hiker. It's just another facet of the "gear freak" tendencies that bring me hear.

It's nothing new--just read Camping and Woodcraft by Kephart and/or Woodcraft and Camping by Nessmuk (George Sears). They had unbelievably light pack loads before 1920.

It is all about minimalism, which often meand low-tech. It can also be expensive, but does not have to be. Here's my summer gear list from memory:

Pack: Golite Day Pack. Frameless. Weighs less than a pound.
Shelter: Tarp with bug netting. See www.tarptent.com Less than 2 pounds with stakes and ground cloth.
Sleeping bag: Western Mountaineering MegaLite. Down. Cost too much. 1 pound 9 ounces.
Sleeping pad: Blue foam pad cut into four 10" x 20" pieces and taped together so it can be folded into a "frame" for my pack. Less than 8 ounces.
Clothes: Merino wool longjohn top and bottoms, wool socks, puffy synthetic jacket, windshirt and windpants and poncho (summer) or waterproof breathable shell (winter), hats, gloves, and footwear suitable for the weather.
Stove: Solid fuel stove if I'm just boiling water. About 4 ounces with fuel for an overnighter. Canister stove if I'm really cooking. White gas stove if I'm snow camping.
Pot and spoon: I have a couple Titanium pots, but there are plenty of super light Aluminum ones available, including the famous (among ultralighters) WalMart Grease Pot.
Water: I carry a platypus. I drink out of that and eat out of my pot.
Misc. Knife (Vic. Outrider), headlamp or flashlight (used to use a Tikka, but I'm going to play with my LSH-P and KL1 and E1e and E2e this year), map, compass, etc.

I've gone on three day summer trips with less than 25 pounds including water, fuel and food (based on my weight on my bathroom scale with and without my pack).

As you can see you have to give up a lot to get your pack really light. I heard someone say there are campers and there are hikers. If you love to camp, then ultralight hiking is probably not for you. If you love to hike, then the extra range may be worth the sacrifice in comfort and luxuries.

P.S. I've never mooched of another hiker, but then I like to get off the beaten path and usually don't see any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.P.S. My outfit has evolved to this over 20+ years and I alter it based on the season, my destination and the weather I can expect. I agree you want keep safety in mind anduse your judgment when experimenting with new gear. You don't want to end up wet on a cold night when there are no other tents to knock on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

bigcozy

Enlightened
Those jet flame lighter are a recipe for disaster out in the way-back. I have tried just about every brand and I would NEVER trust one. Some people have good luck with them, I never have. I even tried to talk a fellow CPFer out of buying one, and then he posted about the problems with it. At worst, carry a backup or two. Bics work best for me. Zippos are depenedable but the fuel has a bad habit of evaporating at the worse time and will burn the crap out of you if it leaks in your pocket. Out on a trip the burn is bad enough to slow you down, I have a scar from one.

My gear:

North Face Lookout pack
North Denali Jacket
North Venture Rain Jacket
North Face fanny pack
Eureka Timberline tent
Slumberjack 0 degeree and 40 degree bags
Snow Peak stove (never take it)
Pur water filter
PT Attitude and SF E2
Greco Companion Cub 3.5" fixed blade
Spyderco Co Pilot
Lowa Sport Shoe
Thor Lo socks (very important)
Bic lighters (2) blast match
Ti cookware, one skillet, one cup
Spoon

the rest is food

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.Backpackinglight.com is also a useful site.

I recently started getting into hiking/backpacking. I'm using a Kelty Haiku 4250 for extended mode (3lbs. 13oz.) and a Camelbak Blowfish (not that light) for day trips. My philosophy has been to start with the advice of the ultralight backpackers, then work backwards by "heavying" any gear for which the ultralight approach doesn't satisfy me. I won't sleep in a bivy sack, for example, but I've gotten some really good advice about alcohol stoves and other things from these kinds of folk.

Termac

Newly Enlightened
Ultra light is hype. Backpacking has always incorporated the low weight concept. It's all about the attitude that you take every opportunity to save weight. Budget is a big part of that. But evolve your gear, have fun with it, make improvements year by year. Use a scale and make choices. The best is to leave things behind. Some are packing a pound of stuff sacks. At the end of the trip, you should have used every thing you packed (except a minimal first aid kit); you should be out of food and you should have had at least one night when you could barely stay warm. Eliminate excess, tolerate a bit of suffering.

For light a Turquoise Photon running a 2032: makes a great headlamp on an elastic strap. Wear it to bed around the neck. Second light is a white Arc AAA .

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, great posts. I've only ever done day hikes and the most I have ever hiked in one day was 12 miles. Considerably less is the norm. Just curious, when on these several day hikes with full support gear, how many miles do you log on a typical day?

Wayne, you got to now design an ultralight flashlight mod. A badboy on a minimag is just too heavy for ultralight hiking...

paulr

Flashaholic
The Photon II is a favorite among ultralight hikers, apparently.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be perfectly honest, I sit on my other end most of the day and night for the last umteen years. So, to say I backpack would be an understatement. I'm just plain outta shape. I'd be lucky to do car camping and be comfortable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Did Mount Whitney in 89. Pack weight was 60 LBs.

Great stuff here I'm sure. I'd for sure test this like I've done before on some car camping trips. Nothing beats testing the gear out before depending on it.

I just surprised myself and went out flying my new Winddancer 1 from Seattle AirGear. Man, what a blast. Was out there for over two hours having a great time.

I'm not that outta shape. I can remember back when 10 minutes of labor would waste me for the whole day.

I'm hoping this kite and a renewed vow to get back to some serious camping/hiking will get me back into some exercise.

I'm thinking of doing a small two day trip at Point Reyes this month. Like others, I'd like to upgrade some of my components to reduce each main component weight.

For short stays, I don't mind carry hard food, if it will be consumed once in. The hike out would be that much lighter.

Wayne,

While I can move right now, I'm sure I'll be stiff as a board tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultra light, huh? Not unless I knew that I could survive beyond my packed resources, for some unforeseen situation. That means living off the land.

What I learned the hard way: NEVER buy a POS backpack with no hip belt, and external frame at that! A friend and I did this, and had to use those 'military style' belts that come with canteens to jerry rig for hip belts. Better, but, still very uncomfortable. Our full loadout was 40 pounds each, and we were galavanting around Haleakala Volcano: lots of near to vertical topography. The only good thing about that, was when we pitched the tent, we stayed for a while.

Our tent was a cheap backpacking cabin tent, and we had to use silicone lube spray to waterproof it. Brown tent and move 15 feet away, and can no longer see it.

Hawaii is one of the few places you can keep your food in the tent.

No matter your backpacking philosophy, you need a good long runtime LED light, plus headstrap, or light and headlamp.

CMG Infinity w/Lithium AA: excellent for reading and in tent. This is also the survival light.

CMG Infinity Ultra: nice close range light.

Both of the above can be used as a headlamp with the 'pocket' clip put on backwards. I have done so and they work very well on the brim of a ballcap or similar.

Handheld: Brinkmann Rebel or PT Impact. Impact won't accidentally turn on in backpack and is waterproof to 500 feet. Both of these give you extra throw and brightness, as a result of the lens in the bezel. The Rebel is only 2AA, but can use Lithium AAs and is lighter than the Impact.

The Infinity and Ultra can be used in the headstraps.

Many will strongly disagree about my light recommendations, simply because they are not AAA.

There is a saying: Penny wise, pound foolish.
Corollary: Ounce wise, survival foolish.

If you are going to be out for a planned 7 days, then take survival rations for an additional 7 days. Just cause you might get nailed by a really bodacious storm, and get stuck. These can be nothing more than 7 powerbars. Better a bit safer than oh so sorry.

You can see I am not a believer in ultra light backpacking.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Great input here everyone. I have been on both ends of the spectrum with this backpacking thing. I suffered greatly in each instance, carrying too much heavy stuff that never got used and not having enough stuff that you really needed. It is an evolution to me. I learn as I go. I respect those who can go so far on so little. I know that is not entirely my style either. I save weight where I can but never cut the corners much on basic items like shelter, water, food, and critical items like first aid and knives. Those things are too important. It makes me laugh when people mention a Leatherman Micra as thier emergency survival gear. Stay safe out there and enjoy.

paulr

Flashaholic
Be aware that an Arc AAA with a spare battery (two AAA's total) gives about the same total runtime as a CMG Ultra with one AA, but weighs less. CMG Infinity of course will last much longer than either, but with much less output. I just can't foresee a situation where I'd need tens of hours of dim light unexpectedly though. If I'm stuck out there for an extra week, I probably won't be trying to move around at night too much, so don't need much light. And I don't think I'd want to take two CMG's on an "ultralight" trip. So I'd take the CMG Ultra rather than the Infinity, if I take a CMG.

With either an Arc or a CMG, I'd take a spare battery mainly to not have to worry about how fresh the one in the light is. Even when walking around in the dark (unless bushwhacking) I don't like to use a light continuously. Just a little blip of light now and then to see where I'm going is often enough. A red LED may be best for this, to minimize impact on night vision.

For when a brighter handheld light is needed I like the UKE 2L. It weighs scarcely more than a CMG with one AA. An AAA-powered alternative to the 2L might be the PT Rage. The Rage would be a good companion for the Arc AAA, since its spent batteries should be able to run the Arc for several extra hours each.

Finally, if you're really concerned about battery power in an LED light, there's always the Swisslight/Freelight (solar powered dogtag light). Even on a very overcast day, if worn on the backpack or outside the shirt, it should soak enough charge to run a good long while at night. So that's maybe an optimal ultralight solution, especially backed up by a yellow Photon II or equivalent.

Here's a question for you: do you carry your regular keychain when backpacking, travelling, etc? Mine has a dozen or so keys and 3 lights (Arc AAA plus green and red Photon II's). So it weighs a lot and would be a hassle to lose (can't start car, can't get back into house, etc). But I haven't figured out what else to do with it besides carry it.

PS re emergency rations, 7 days on power bars would be some pretty hungry times, maybe bad enough to make it hard to make much distance walking. I wonder if some diet pills (appetite suppressant/stimulant) would be justified in a survival kit, to go with the power bars, at least for those of us who can stand to lose a little weight anyway.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Here's a question for you: do you carry your regular keychain when backpacking...

[/ QUOTE ]

I carry the key to my car clipped inside the top pocket of my Terraplane-x. It turns into my but-pack when at camp, so I always have that along with my top 10 list at all times

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:I wonder if some diet pills (appetite suppressant/stimulant) would be justified in a survival kit, to go with the power bars, at least for those of us who can stand to lose a little weight anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
Those pills probably would do more harm than good. You can go for weeks without food and can find some unusual stuff to eat in the woods once you're hungry enough.

Once you haven't eaten for a few days, the hunger pangs diminish. Drinking lots of water helps. Ration food, but never ration water. Dehydration makes you do stupid things.

-Jason

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mentioned Powerbars, due to the high nutritional value of each one, and no cooking needed.

Preferably, you know enough to safely forage for edibles, in the area you are in, and these would be a last resort.

In the case I mentioned, 7 Powerbars don't take up much space, and don't add that much additional weight.

paulr

Flashaholic
What about that powdered stuff someone mentioned? Anyone got any recommendations about what to use for that?

I have some iodine pills (water disinfectant) in my backpack for emergency use, but they're 5+ years old by now. Can they possibly go bad?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
MetRx Engineered Nutrition has the powdered drink mix. Can be used with water in a pinch.

The problem that I am taking into consideration, is that you may not be able to get to a decent water supply. (I think in worst case terms)

MetRx is VERY expensive. Powerbars are a reasonable alternative, and there are others. I use Powerbars, so I mention them.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've found powerbars don't do much for me.

Generally in places where I hike, there's some water around, though I'd want some way to purify it or at least disinfect it. Also, weren't we talking about getting caught out in a storm? Water would be the least of one's problems in that situation.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
BEWARE!!!
Iodine pills and other products like Polar Pure, Potable Aqua and such do go bad. It is always safer to replace them and keep them sealed in the container until you need to use them. I was watching an adventure race staged in Vietnam and one of the racers used an old tablet to "purify" his water and became violently ill in a matter of hours. In a later interview he mentioned that he didn't notice that the color of the pill had changed from white to yellow, showing that humidity had gotten to the pills.
I carry the extra weight and have a PUR fiter. Definately worth the money and weight. Never got sick. Just try to take advantage of all "decent" water sources as you travel.
In a pinch one time I even used the PUR to pump/filter a seep I found just above the treeline when I ran out of water. It was caused by the frozen ground defrosting in early spring. It first seemed to be a small puddle in the rocks and mud, but after digging into it about an inch I was able to put the intake w/prefilter into it and pump out an emergency bottle of water. The moral of the story friends is that without the filter to pump up the water I couldn't have gotten it into the bottle and therefore any purification tabs I might have had instead of the filter would have been useless.
Be safe and enjoy your travels...

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info about the iodine tabs. I guess I'll get some new ones. I wouldn't use them unless no filter was available. However, I'd still carry them as a backup even with a filter, since filters can clog and be hard to unclog.

obeck

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gone Jeepin said:
BEWARE!!!
Iodine pills and other products like Polar Pure,

[/ QUOTE ]

Polar Pure is a bottle of iodine crystals in solution. As far as I know, they do not go bad like the pills.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:...Here's a question for you: do you carry your regular keychain when backpacking, travelling, etc? Mine has a dozen or so keys and 3 lights (Arc AAA plus green and red Photon II's). So it weighs a lot and would be a hassle to lose (can't start car, can't get back into house, etc). But I haven't figured out what else to do with it besides carry it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep a car key on the underside of my vehicle, in a hidden and secure location (use velcro). My mechanic couldn't even find it once when I left the car for repair, and told him where it was.

I also keep an extra car and house in the vehicle, in a hidden location, and I keep an extra house key near my house - also in a hidden and secure location. Stick a key up a shingle, and note which shingle it is. That way in winter, you won't have to try to dig it out of the snow.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
Ultra light, huh? Not unless I knew that I could survive beyond my packed resources, for some unforeseen situation. That means living off the land.

What I learned the hard way: NEVER buy a POS backpack with no hip belt, and external frame at that! A friend and I did this, and had to use those 'military style' belts that come with canteens to jerry rig for hip belts. Better, but, still very uncomfortable. Our full loadout was 40 pounds each, and we were galavanting around Haleakala Volcano: lots of near to vertical topography. The only good thing about that, was when we pitched the tent, we stayed for a while...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree about hip belts. One of the first things I noticed was that an internal frame pack allows you to shift the weight around very well, and that this matters tremendously. It makes me seriously question whether it's worth it to get a GoLite Breeze with no frame, and save a couple pounds, when the rest of your pounds are hanging from your shoulders instead of resting on your hips.

Not sure about external frame, as I've never tried one. But from what I've been told, they keep your back cooler, but aren't as agile on difficult trails.