Ultrafire 18650 3000mA exploded

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
My other question: is there a way like with NiMH (diagnosed with a maha c9000), that we know when the pcb and/or Lithum battery is ready to throw away?
Google Lithium battery analyzer. Use the search on top of every CPF page.
After use check the battery voltage before charging. If below 2.7V toss the battery.
Check the battery voltage after charging. If above 4.2 volts toss the charger.

I think I ordered panasonic 3400s from dx.com , but something in green paper insulation came that said aw.
This is what you ordered.
panasonicNCR18650Bsku_180030_1_zps5bd25090.jpg

This is what AWs used to look like.
AWP18650-3100_zps43d468b8.jpg

You have to contact AW to see if he has changed wrappers. Or you got Fake AWs. Methinks the latter though DX does not substitutes much unlike some ebay sellers.

IClight

Newly Enlightened
:faint:

I have these very same batteries! I'm disposing of them when I get home from work tonight in favor of something more reputable!

wertzius

Newly Enlightened
Why do you dispose them? These are original Panasonics, only unprotected. These cells are in every single 3400mAh cell on the market. There is no higher quality available.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Why do you dispose them? These are original Panasonics, only unprotected. These cells are in every single 3400mAh cell on the market. There is no higher quality available.
you are not talking about the cells that this thread is about.

The ultrafire "3000 mAh" were first sold when the best available capacity was around 2600 mAh. They are cheap, dangerous junk.
The only chance to get some that contain Panasonic cells would be from old "recycled" battery packs.

Read this if you are interested: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316888-Fake-Ultrafire-18650-battery-warning

powerking

Newly Enlightened
He connected a new 18650 in a serie with 2 old and toasted a bad cell or something like that.
Who cares if it was Ultrafire or som other brand , this was a bit risky right ?

Was it because protection do not work in multicells , because they were unbalanced or what ?

I am in no way expert but what exactly did go wrong and cheap ultrafire or not , how to avoid this ?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> powerking ... unenlightended ... in no way expert .... how to avoid this ?

Become expert.
Don't buy and use lithium-ion batteries until you have taken the time and made the effort to learn about them.
You can't learn enough by just asking "what exactly" in a comment thread.

There are links above, and at AW's thread, that will get you there.

Personally, after making a serious effort to learn, I concluded that there's no way I'll use a multi-cell lithium-ion setup.
I feel fairly confident I know how to manage individual cells, and I've only had one vent its contents since I started using them.

But I wouldn't try to educate anyone in this kind of forum. You need to study the stuff, or not risk using these; the risk is not just inconvenience to you, it's health and safety for you and your family and household.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you mind sharing this story hank?

+1

Actually, Hank could clarify better. Pretty important stuff that is glossed over and not referenced. For example, series or parallel or both? And the why. Reference, don't shirk with "Go read on your own". We are building a google database, that will attract new members-but only if questions are answered in the thread of this forum.

Battery care reading is often very contradictory, usually very subjective, most posts lack any chemical explanation. Then, all our memories need to be refreshed at times. Not, "Go google your self"-which is often the only answer you can get by googling.

Things (mostly in this thread) that sound plausible:

1. buy protected cells. (protected contollers too)
2. buy named brand cells.
3. Stay away from chargers that charge above 4.2 volts.
4. Charge at .5 C seems optimal to keep cells healthy, never above 1 C.
5. Throw away cell if under 2.8 volt. No explanation. So total BS, just that going under could harm cell. However, we forget the protection of the cell will show lower voltage as it protects cell.
So, this rule is mostly b.s. that applies only to non protected cells.
6. Constantly check voltage of all cells. This is BS too since it is not at all practical in real world and would make going back to 3 AA format look maintenance free.
This could be done, however, with a smart controller.
7. Dont buy primary liions. Dangerous and not controllable.
8. Water, by common sense, could be very dangerous by liions.
9. 18650's, in series, could reverse charge--probably vent. I do not see problem with parallel (yes, could overdraw one cell and it will not take a future charge), or properly yolked series.
10. Probably, a good idea to have pressure release on liion tube (pressure build from flame venting could equal explosion).
11. A silicone or insulated metal firewall should be used between batteries and skin.
12."Rapid venting occurs during over charge, reverse charge, and as a result of using a damaged cell. Also driving a cell beyond its capabilities in either charge or discharge current can heat thing up to a point where the cell will rapidly vent."
"Damaged" cell is misleading. I think the original poster meant damaged insulator or protection--not overdrawn or old.
13. Some lights have a parasitic drain on the battery. It is not a good idea to leave a battery in those lights because it can lead to over discharge.
14. Praise be to AW, curses on the house of Ultrafire.
15. Redundant controller and protections, can still get her pregnant.
16. Is there a way to reduce the amount of explosion power ? Interesting question. (like temperature, orientation, running them down before shipping them? Packing in asbestos or silicone?
17. "Don't charge overnight" Seriously, how dumb of a charger and low quality of battery needed for this to be an issue. Needs clarity. Why aren't the chargers fireproof.
18. How redundant is the AW protection, and what sort of things does its protection prevent that others' don't?
19. The new 2900/3100s can be discharged safely down to 2.5V, but the older chemistries can only be discharged to around 2.75V 2900mah NCR is posted here. At 3.6V the cell still has more than 50% of its capacity so you shouldn't start charging at 3.6v.
http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-...A4000CE240.pdf
20. You would notice that the cell only reaches maximum capacity when it's above 60 degrees celsius (or 140 F).
21. Protection also good to avoid the inevitible reverse insertion into charger and light.
22. Although once the IC protection kicks in you would need a cold start charger to re-activate it.--This needs clarification. But I think I have experienced this with my panasonics: had to use the Fenix oem to charge a low cell, where the I4 refused to charge it.
23. xstar2 rules.
24. Never use unprotected LiCoO2 cells in multi cell lights.--Huh? The chemistry of the cells we buy is never told to the buyer. Maybe, I am wrong, and must revisit.
25. I have had NiMH AA's go thermal rundown, melting all plastic around it, at night, in bed, where I threw cell in tub. Probably more than once. Admittedly, this was in light that needed all the cell's insulation in order to not cause + to meet -.
I am now nervous with all batteries around the bed of family. But, how can we function without our booklights and androids? We could go back to hurricane lamps I suppose.

27. If explosions and venting were easy to reproduce, would not Youtube.com be loaded with videos of them going off?

Last edited:

Knifefeak

Newly Enlightened
I have a l1200 too, and I use that charger......:duck:I am probably not going to use that charger any more. But on the plus size i am very "anal" about measuring my voltages. And I always use protected cells

cy

Flashaholic
greatest danger from using LiCo cells occurs during charging. that was true back in 2003 era when I was part of the group of CPF'ers that was among world first consumer use of individual li-ion cells. there was lots of explosions back then.

have successfully used unprotected LiCo cells since 2003 with zero problems. in fact I've got LiCo cells dated 2003 that I'm still using today.

a few simple rules goes a long ways for safe LiCo use.

1. use the highest quality hobby charger you can afford with true current termination at 4.2v.
2. only use unprotected LiCo in single cell flashlights, never in series.
3. to prevent low voltage condition .. yank LiCo battery as first sign of flashlight dimming.
4. never charge any LiCo battery unattended and only in a fire resistant location.

here's a couple of bare 14430 LiCo cells from my Li14430 Larry light after about 10 years of use

Cellpro Powerlab 8 with 22A regulated power supply
DSC03766.jpg

arierep60

Newly Enlightened
After read the entire thread I was a bit scared because 3 months ago I bought this flashligh:

8xMI7kT.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-2000-...2396698?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item4ac62cad9a

And I use these batteries on it:

z7OgOXF.jpg

I use 2 of them on the flashlight, but now i'm scared about this story of 18650 in series :confused:

I have some sanyo and samsung 18650 batteries here that I get from some old laptop batteries, and my question is, should I use sanyo or samsung 18650 instead the ultrafire ones?
I'm using this ultrafire 18650 in this flashlight and in other 2 flashlight's and never had any problem, but I want your opinion guys ;)
thanks and sorry for my english :D

Last edited:

wertzius

Newly Enlightened
Throw them away. There are no cells with 3800mAh available at the market. So the capacity is claimed wrong and they are unprotected. You should not use unprotected cells in series. Don't use the laptop cells in series.

Buy protected cells from a good manufacturer like Keeppower or Enerpower.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
You should not use unprotected cells in series.
If you know what you are doing you can use two well-matching quality cells in series without protection - certainly not recommended with the ultrafire crap. Li-Ion are not as dangerous as Lithium primaries, that have been often reported as exploding.

arierep60, if you want to go cheap you can use any protected batteries that are based on good cells (made by sanyo, panasonic, sony or LG).

HKJ has reviewed most of the common cells, both low- and high-end, you can compare them here and see the individual reviews too:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

arierep60

Newly Enlightened
I can allways take of the extension tube from the flashlight and only use 1 battery but this way the flashlight runtime will decrese 50% right?

arierep60

Newly Enlightened
even with these tubes I can't use 2 laptop 18650 in series on my flashlight?

YcCK3E5.jpg

välineurheilija

Enlightened
I dont know why you would need those tubes but for the question.I would NOT use unprotected batteries from an old batterypack in a series setup.however as Helmut mentioned if you have quality cells and a way to make sure they are matching in capacity and age then you could do it BUT i personally would not.

arierep60

Newly Enlightened
The tubes are to keep the 18650 batteries in place because that flashlight can use 2x 26650 batteries like these ones:

gDSyHoZ.jpg

since they are larger that 18650 the plastic tubes keep them in the middle of the flashlight ;)