Ultrafire C3 SS now not cree XP-E Q5 but XR-C P4 (maybe)...

Ian2381

Enlightened
Thanks PG,

I think I'll buy a smooth reflector and find a good Cree XRE Warm, Neutral or WC. I wanted to make my C3 a pocket thrower.:thumbsup:

Currently My warm C3 is more on Flood since it have a warm XPE Cree and OP reflector. I'm really having fun modding my lights.

Now hunting for a XRE warm or neutral emitter.:)

B12

Newly Enlightened
I also swapped the P2 emitter with 14mm XPG-R5 ($6.80 shipped from Dealextreme). The emitter dropped right in. I used "enough" silicone thermal paste.

With P2 the taicap current was 0.9A and with R5 1.2A from 14500. Plenty, plenty of light now but heats up pretty fast. Beam not too bad but I ordered a smooth reflector to try with it.

If somebody has not swapped the emitter yet, now is the F****n time. Or you'll be a *****. Absolute must do mod. Blows just about any 14500/AA light no matter the price range.

aau007

Enlightened
I am thinking of ordering this light from DX. I don't have a P4 or Q5 light so I have nothing to compare with. Is there a sure way to tell whether it is Q5 without disassembling the head?

Cemoi

Enlightened
I used a 14mm round XPG-R5 from LCK Led

Wich color bin do you think it is? Their website doesn't specify it.
Not too blueish?

BTW, what is the tool you used to punch holes (seen on one of your pictures), and where can you buy it (online)? I've never seen this tool before, it looks quite handy.

I also swapped the P2 emitter with 14mm XPG-R5 ($6.80 shipped from Dealextreme).

Same question: not too blueish?

petergunn

Newly Enlightened
Wich color bin do you think it is? Their website doesn't specify it.
Not too blueish?

Not sure which bin - cool white but no blue tinge.

BTW, what is the tool you used to punch holes (seen on one of your pictures), and where can you buy it (online)? I've never seen this tool before, it looks quite handy.

Its a leather hole punch (usually ~$6 - Amazon carries them online).

-PG

Last edited:

FlashPilot

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the 14mm xpg star along with the SMO reflector from DX. The stock driver works well with NiMh as well as 14500's and rivals in maximum brightness to my TrustFire R5-A3 (also AA/14500 xpg powered). I get 1.2A @ the tailcap in high on 14500's. This incredibly easy mod breathed new life into the the old light.

I cant believe what an absolutely crappy LED in todays standards the xrc was that it replaced. When I read comments on DX from others about how bright their xrc light is, I just have to laugh knowing that those poor people have no idea how comparatively dim and inefficient their lights are when compared to the xpg. Im really enjoying this light now. Thanks for the pics and sharing your mods here. :D