Ultrafire WF-602C SSC U Bin AAA/10440

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanada, did you try putting voltage directly to the contacts on the driver board?...(using a NiMH cell). I'm curious if yours has the low-voltage start up problems of the early version of the 602C.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanada, did you try putting voltage directly to the contacts on the driver board?...(using a NiMH cell). I'm curious if yours has the low-voltage start up problems of the early version of the 602C.

How can I do this?

balazer

Enlightened
Remove the battery tube. Stick a battery button-end first down into the head so that the button touches the positive contact. Bend a paperclip so that one end touches the negative contact in the head (where the end of the battery tube makes contact when turned on), and the other end touches the negative terminal of the battery.

Face

Enlightened
Mine came today and so far - for the cost (hopefully!) - I'm pretty impressed with it. It's working fine on an eneloop and a 10440. NOWHERE near as bright on a 10440 as the LOD CE though.

The only downside is that I ordered 2 but my package came with only 1 in it!!! The customs declaration form states that there are 2 inside and even the packing slip inside says 2, but there was definately only one!

I've contacted Kai, so I hope that they make it right as one was for someone else and $37.98 is just a bit too much for this light!!! :-D

Cheers,

Face

Last edited:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
As this light would be an "occasional use" light i will put a Energizer AAA lithium (primary) in it. Has any found out if the regular lithiums work without these modifications.

toyrolex

Newly Enlightened
Is the flashlight brigher with 10440 compared to standard/rechargable AAA? If so, by about how much? Thanks.

BTW, I just posted this question in the Dealer thread but realized I will probably get a quicker response from this thread.

Face

Enlightened
I tried both an eneloop and a 10440 in mine and to be honest, I couldn't really see much difference - if any - between the two cells. I really REALLY wanted to, but I just couldn't.

The LOD-CE on a 10440 is still IT!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not in mine. YMMV. The only LSD battery that worked in mine is RayOvac Hybrid. Alkalines also worked in mine but I am wary of leaks.
As this light would be an "occasional use" light i will put a Energizer AAA lithium (primary) in it. Has any found out if the regular lithiums work without these modifications.

The flashlight using both Hybrids and 10440 is brighter than a L0D CE/hybrid medium. The L0D CE/hybrid on high is brighter.
The L0D CE/10440 is much brighter on medium. On high the L0D CE/10440 just blows the 602C SSC away.
The L0D CE is the latest I got (P4 WD?). The tint is warmer on the Fenix.
Against an older L0D CE (P3 WC?) the Ultrafire is almost as bright as the L0D CE/hybrid high and the tint is similar.
Is the flashlight brigher with 10440 compared to standard/rechargable AAA? If so, by about how much? Thanks.

BTW, I just posted this question in the Dealer thread but realized I will probably get a quicker response from this thread.

Face, is your 602C stock or with modified spring? i cannot get Eneloops to work in mine.
I tried both an eneloop and a 10440 in mine and to be honest, I couldn't really see much difference - if any - between the two cells. I really REALLY wanted to, but I just couldn't.

The LOD-CE on a 10440 is still IT!

Last edited:

toyrolex

Newly Enlightened
Thanks LEDninja and Face for your info regarding brightness with AAA and 10440.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone use 1.5v primary lithiums with any success??

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone use 1.5v primary lithiums with any success??

I did. eveything is fine

BUT

my experience with this light is disappointing…

I got it from KaiDomain and the first thing I noticed was that it bears no Ultrafire markings. Nothing. Zit

And when I fired it up there was a big dark center in the hotspot. Definetely a sign of an unfocused LED. One would assume that the emitter should be raised , but examining the matter more I have found that the reflector goes as far as possible resting on the emitter body. Than means that metal should be removed from the reflector bottom.

Now a question for you all. How thick is your reflector at it's bottom? In mine there is a half mm or more before the cone starts.

BTW with this I am done with Ultrafire. A C3 I received from the Ultrafire-Shop had crossed threads in the head/body junction and 2 WF-502B and a C2 had small dings on the anodizing…

enjoy, Kostas

whc

Enlightened
Just got mine today, and overall it is pretty good, had to cut some of the spring for it to fit eneloop and ni-mh cells, surprisingly the spring was gold plated pretty nice, and the threads came lubed, On the bad site the tint is just awful very blue. Overall I think it is well worth the money, will not be using it myself, will give it to my sister no advanced UI for her just on/off action.

cac313

Newly Enlightened
Mine came in today (14 days after placing the order with DX) and I immediately checked to see what batteries worked. My wife had dropped a regular Duracell alkaline in there before I got home at it worked fine. I just got some eneloops (yay Costco!) and they work just fine. I don't have any 10440's but am strongly considering some for the L0D-CE.

Side note, to the Mk I eyeball it appears just as bright as my L0D-CE on high but the tint is a little bit more blue and has a tiny bit more more flood.

The only complaints I have so far is that there was some "schmutz" on the top of the emitter, like some one had brushed a little grease over it, it wiped off. The other thing is the twist is much firmer than the Fenix. It's not that bad but in comparison, you can tell the difference in quality. Also the fit when putting the battery in is much tighter, the Fenix is easily screwed down with just enough resistance but the Ultrafire needs a good bit of "oomph" when swapping batteries. For $18 though, it will be okay.

Now I just have to hunt down a ring so my wife can attach it to her keyring.

Cheers

Last edited:

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
Just performed the spring fix on my 602C. It worked before on 10440's, not Nimh. Now it works on both. I had to cut 1.5 coils off the bottom for Nimh to work. Took a couple of trys. Good fix, thanks. :D
R.E.

balazer

Enlightened
I got my WF-602c w/ SSC, and I'm very pleased with it. Beam is very bright and white, and fairly uniform. The beam has a nice balance of spot and side-spill. The light worked out of the box with Rayovac Hybrid cells. Ultrafire has fixed the problems with switch action that I observed with this light from about one year ago. Heat transfer is good. The o-ring on the battery tube was properly sized. The o-ring underneath the bezel was missing.

I'm only getting about half an hour of run time on the Hybrid cells, though. I think perhaps it's a problem with my charger. What run times are other people getting?

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
That's about the expected runtime. I haven't checked the hybrid cells, don't have any, but individual Tenergy and Lacross 800 mah cells check out on my Maha MH-C9000 charger to have from 595 to 695 mah usable capacity. At a 1000 mah draw, a half hour is pretty good. It's about what I get on a freshly charged lacross, though it dims some after 20 minutes. I'd stuff a Duracell in it but it won't fit. Duracells fit in my B3, but the 602C's too tight.

balazer

Enlightened
Overall I'm quite pleased with this light. It works out of the box exactly as it should, with none of the problems that earlier UltraFire WF-602c lights suffered from. (flawed switch action, low start-up voltage problem) The price is right, and I see little reason for the average person to buy anything more expensive such as the Fenix

I had no battery contact problem with Rayovac Hybrid cells.

My biggest complaint would be that the light's design is not particularly efficient. It manages to create a bright hot-spot primarily by driving the LED at high current, which ends up wasting a lot of light in the side-spill. I get less than half an hour of bright output from my light using a Rayovac Hybrid cell. A smarter design would use a Cree X-Lamp and an aspheric or hemispheric lens, so as to put more light in the spot and less in the side-spill without requiring a large reflector. That's how I modded a WF-602c last year. My mod's spot is just about as bright, but larger, and the battery lasts three times as long. (albeit using a lithium ion cell, which has slightly more capacity than the Hybrid, and doesn't require the use of a voltage boost circuit)

Other small complaints: o-ring was missing beneath bezel (there was an o-ring on the battery tube), no split ring or hole for a split ring for a key chain.