Ultratac K18 (XP-G2 S2, 1xAAA Ni-MH, Alkaline, Li-ion) Review

joelbnyc

Enlightened
My Efest IMR 10440 arrived. Overall my verdict is very positive, the Stainless Steel K18 is quite high quality for a production light. Good value, money well spent. Finish feels higher-end, not cheap in the least.

One minor quibble is the time it takes to go from locked out to on, with the double-press and then long press. I don't have a better solution to this though, it's a well engineered UI.

Tail Standing might be nice for a Rev 2. Although I have enough lights sitting around that tail stand already.

Other than those minor quibbles, this is probably about my fave 1xAAA size light I've owned. One hand use is awesome with the front clicky, while keeping a short enough length to make the K18 comfortable on a keychain, as opposed to some 1xAAA tail clicky's that are too long for my tastes.

Nice work, Ultratac!

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't use beltclips, but on the K18 i keep it aligned with the power button it makes it easy to find in the dark also it protects the power switch from damage if you drop it thanks to the slight gap.

John.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Do you use the lock out feature? I've found it "on" and drained accidentally in my pocket a few times, so I try to use it, but the delay required to tap-tap-pause-long-tap to go from locked to on is a bit annoying. Still a cool light though and very bright. But there is something to be said for 1xaaa twisties. My brass(i think) Olight i3S-CU will probably go back on my keychain. Too bad it doesn't take 10440's.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always keep my K18 in lock mode and the extra couple of taps to unlock and turn it on is not a problem as i don't uses it that much, Was the belt clip aligned with the power button when it was turned on in your pocket.

John.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
I like to keep 2 non-key items on my keychain, a 1xaaa or smaller light, and a Classic SD victorinox, so I don't use belt clip on lights. I find I use the keychain lights a lot through the day, simply because its nearly always on me- going to the basement, looking under couches/beds for things (have a toddler!), walking dog at night if I forget an 18650 light, etc. So the delay from lock to on is a bit of an issue. I'm not really knocking the K18, it's still very cool and a nice addition to my 1xaaa collection. Just probably wont be my primary keychain light.

Capolini

Banned
Do you use the lock out feature? I've found it "on" and drained accidentally in my pocket a few times, so I try to use it, but the delay required to tap-tap-pause-long-tap to go from locked to on is a bit annoying. Still a cool light though and very bright. But there is something to be said for 1xaaa twisties. My brass(i think) Olight i3S-CU will probably go back on my keychain. Too bad it doesn't take 10440's.

I also have the Olight i3S-CU. It WILL take 10440's,,just not recommended and who knows how long the light will last[longevity not run time] if the 10440 was used continuously! :naughty:

I have used a 10440 in it for a very short time! Actually I did a MAX run time test. iirc it got hot after about 90 seconds and the cumulative MAX run time[2 min. rests] was ~ 8 minutes w/ a voltage of ~ 3.6V. I am astonished how bright it is. If the K18 is 360 lumens w/ a 10440, then the i3S-CU is easily 500 lumens!

joelbnyc

Enlightened
If the K18 is 360 lumens w/ a 10440, then the i3S-CU is easily 500 lumens!

Cool. Maybe I'll just give it a shot. That would be approaching the territory of those 1xAAA-sized MBI lights and Vinh mods, right? Not to get off topic, but I wonder if Vinh is doing any 10440-sized mods currently, I checked his subforum and seemed like most of the posts were about larger lights. I just ordered a couple more efest 10440's so may as well look for other small 10440-capable lights...

Capolini

Banned
Cool. Maybe I'll just give it a shot. That would be approaching the territory of those 1xAAA-sized MBI lights and Vinh mods, right? Not to get off topic, but I wonder if Vinh is doing any 10440-sized mods currently, I checked his subforum and seemed like most of the posts were about larger lights. I just ordered a couple more efest 10440's so may as well look for other small 10440-capable lights...

iirc the Vollsion and the Lumintop tool and worm are the ONLY AAA[10440] Lights on his website.

I do not have testing equipment,,,,,,,,,If you do, test the i3S-CU w/ 10440 and I would bet it is closer to 600 lumens than 500 lumens!

joelbnyc

Enlightened
So update, I couldn't go back to 1xAAA size eneloop lights on my Keychain after getting used to the 10440. So the K18 is back on the Keychain, even with the slightly annoying UI.

I still use the other 1xAAA NiMH lights around the house, but not on the Keychain. Nor am I quite ready to risk destroying a cool light like my brass i3S-CU by risking the 10440.

Would be cool if someone would mod the brass i3S-CU's for 10440 though, if it were possible!