Ultratac K18 (XP-G2 S2, 1xAAA Ni-MH, Alkaline, Li-ion) Review

SV_huMMer

Newly Enlightened
My experience with K18 started rather disappointingly :( Just received mine from Ebay - and could not turn it on! Tried with several freshly bought AAA primaries, with freshly charged Eneloops - nothing! Held the button, doubleclicked, single-clicked, sang, prayed... Looks like my unit is dead upon arrival. So much for the
"QC Passed" sticker on the box...

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody have a Trustfire 10440 battery to see if it fits in this light? They are 46.25mm long and 10.25mm wide. I just ordered the light and want to know if i can get away with the bigger cell. I will probably play it safe but if somebody can confirm that would be awesome.

I have the stainless steel version of this light and some Trustfire protected 10440 batteries that do fit and put out quite a bit of light (even if it's for a very short time and with a good deal of heat).

I got the stainless model because in a youtube video, it said that only the stainless one could handle the protected 10440 batteries due to their length. When my wife gets home I'll try them in her aluminum model. I'm not so keen on having her carry these batteries (and I'm not so sure because of all the negative posts about any *****fire batteries.).

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
So I tried one of the Trustfire protected 10440 batteries in my wife's aluminum K18 and it does indeed fit even with its extra length. I could screw the head down just fine.

Since the aluminum versions don't have an electronic lockout I'd steer away from lithium batteries I think. You'd have to be pretty vigilant to unscrew the head each time it went in a pocket. If these Trustfire protected batteries were more highly regarded they might be fine in some people's minds, but it appears that some have had less than ideal performance. The K18 doesn't have any kind of low voltage protection so it might not be the safest to run unprotected 10440.

Hope that helps.

Capolini

Banned
I have both versions...SS and Aluminum. I use the Efest IMR 10440 battery and have no worries,,,even w/ the Aluminum version. I would NEVER consider a Trustfire battery,,,,,That alone would WORRY ME!!!

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
My concern is based on accidentally turning the light on in your pocket. I've done that a good number of times as the switch sits proud of the flashlight body and can turn on when pressed in a tight area. Yes it would probably heat up and alert you to the fact that it is on, but there is the chance that it could go off in a bag or in a pocket not next to your skin, discharge and go below 2.7 volts if unprotected. People are free to make their own decisions though.

Capolini

Banned
My concern is based on accidentally turning the light on in your pocket. I've done that a good number of times as the switch sits proud of the flashlight body and can turn on when pressed in a tight area. Yes it would probably heat up and alert you to the fact that it is on, but there is the chance that it could go off in a bag or in a pocket not next to your skin, discharge and go below 2.7 volts if unprotected. People are free to make their own decisions though.

I am not clear on you saying in post # 24,,, "I'd steer away from lithium batteries I think" Aren't your TRUSTFIRES L. ION???

It is simple if your concerned about accidental activation happening with the aluminum version. JUST UNLOOSEN the head to deactivate it.

I actually forgot to lock out my SS K18 one time and it activated inside my coat pocket! When I got home the battery was completely dead. iirc 0.43V! I charged it up and it took a full charge.. I then decided to recycle at HKJ's suggestion, knowing that the cells can be damaged and crystallize. They are only $3 each!

I have been told and believe that IMR batteries are safer than the standard ICR L.ion.That is why they do not need protection,,,they don't need it.

I would certainly trust a quality IMR battery that got completely depleted over a Trustfire battery.

The beauty of all of this is we ALL have a preference and personal choice.

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
I was referring to lithium ion batteries in the aluminum flashlights. I don't know if my wife would appreciate the extra level of vigilance she would need to steer clear of danger. For those who want to use them, go for it. Personal preference and choice for sure! Thanks for the input about IMR batteries too.

SV_huMMer

Newly Enlightened
Since the aluminum versions don't have an electronic lockout I'd steer away from lithium batteries I think.

Hope that helps.

At least on paper (cause mine is dead out of the box) there's an electronic lock out function on aluminium K18 - fast double click from off. That's what the manual says.

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
Funny, I believe I tried that with my wife's aluminum one. Didn't seem to work. I'll give it a shot when she gets home from work. Maybe the newer ones have this feature?

Capolini

Banned
At least on paper (cause mine is dead out of the box) there's an electronic lock out function on aluminium K18 - fast double click from off. That's what the manual says.

That is INCORRECT. ONLY the SS version has an electronic lockout. I have both versions. Only a physical lock out[twist head] will deactivate the Aluminum versions.

Maybe they sent you the SS user manual by mistake?

Wendee

Enlightened
Funny, I believe I tried that with my wife's aluminum one. Didn't seem to work. I'll give it a shot when she gets home from work. Maybe the newer ones have this feature?

Neither of the two new aluminum ones I purchased have the lockout feature. I bought both light to be given as gifts. I gifted one last week and I just received the second one from Amazon. I just opened a new aluminum K18. There's no mention of lockout in the instruction manual or on the box and double click from off doesn't lock out the light (double click from "on" gives strobe). The light won't lock out no matter how fast or slow I double click. For fun I also tried both 3 and 4 fast clicks but nothing happened.

I had also tried to lockout the blue aluminum one I gifted last week but it didn't work.

I'm assuming the K18 lights I received from Amazon are new stock so I guess they didn't change the aluminum ones to include the lockout feature.

I see on Amazon.ca that there's also a brass model (nice!). I wonder if the brass also has the lockout feature like the SS one?

For what it's worth, the black side switch on the black K18 is almost impossible to see. When I opened the box, I thought they had sent me a "twisty" light! The button stands out more in the online pictures than in person. It blends in too well (for me) and if I were to order a K18 for myself, I would order a different colour so that I didn't have to feel around to find the button (my husband wanted "black" which is why I ordered that colour). The blue one I gifted last week was very pretty and the button stood out, so I like the blue one a bit more.

I really like these lights! If I could justify buying myself another AAA light, I would buy one for myself too. :)

SV_huMMer, I'm sorry to hear that your light arrived DOA! :( I wonder if the one you received is from old stock, since neither of my instruction manuals mention lockout? Also, neither of the boxes mine came in had a "QC Passed" sticker on them (as you mentioned in an earlier post). They must be from a different batch? Are you able to return the light and maybe order from a different source? :)
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the serial number printed on the new K18 I'm holding is KT2Q3B2123.:shrug:

Last edited:

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
That is INCORRECT. ONLY the SS version has an electronic lockout. I have both versions. Only a physical lock out[twist head] will deactivate the Aluminum versions.

Maybe they sent you the SS user manual by mistake?

I just received my black K18 and it definitely has the electronic lockout. Two quick clicks from off and it is locked out, confirmed with a single flash. Double click again deactivates the lockout and is confirmed with a double flash. Maybe they listened to our comments and made an improvement to an already very nice light.

Capolini

Banned
I just received my black K18 and it definitely has the electronic lockout. Two quick clicks from off and it is locked out, confirmed with a single flash. Double click again deactivates the lockout and is confirmed with a double flash. Maybe they listened to our comments and made an improvement to an already very nice light.

Like you said maybe they listened and changed it.Either that or they put the Electronic lockout in yours by mistake!! I have heard of no other aluminum lights that have electronic lock out!

My BLUE Aluminum light has NO lock out and my SS light does.

Nisei

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell if protected 10440 would fit?
When using standard sized batteries, do you have the feeling there's some room left to take an extra 2mm?

Capolini

Banned
Can anyone tell if protected 10440 would fit?
When using standard sized batteries, do you have the feeling there's some room left to take an extra 2mm?

I am pretty sure on this thread or in a review someone was able to use protected batteries. I can not recall which one worked.

I use the Efest IMR 10440. It is a SAFER chemistry and does not need protection. In case of accidental activation simply lock out the light. If the version does not have an electronic lock out,slightly twist the head.

Nisei

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty sure on this thread or in a review someone was able to use protected batteries. I can not recall which one worked.
I use the Efest IMR 10440. It is a SAFER chemistry and does not need protection. In case of accidental activation simply lock out the light. If the version does not have an electronic lock out,slightly twist the head.

Thanks for responding.
Yeah I know IMR is safer but still not protected against over discharging. The only protected 10440 batteries I know of are the Trustfire brand. Not my favorite brand but perhaps worth a try :)

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for responding.
Yeah I know IMR is safer but still not protected against over discharging. The only protected 10440 batteries I know of are the Trustfire brand. Not my favorite brand but perhaps worth a try :)

You just reminded me!! Soshine sell some protected 10440.I have their 18650 and they are good quality[panny cells]. I would have no idea about their length,,,,,,and also do not see a place where you can only buy 1 or 2? Actually ebay does sell individually or a 4 pack.

links below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5E6G5O/?tag=cpf0b6-20

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...&poi=&adpos=1o1&device=c&crdt=0&ul_noapp=true

Nisei

Newly Enlightened
You just reminded me!! Soshine sell some protected 10440. links below:
Thanks! I didn't know Soshine was manufacturing protected 10440.
Your link to Amazon leads to the unprotected version but I see they do have them on eBay.

I hope AW and Efest will also start offering these. Perhaps I'll try to take a circuit board from a Soshine or Ultrafire and put it on a high quality IMR. Would be nice if more manufacturers would build these protection circuits into their flashlights.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Yes I see that in a review[unprotected].

Your link does NOT lead anywhere!!!! It is blank!

I see you just fixed/edited it!

I just tried it again,,still does not work! [h=1]This site can't be reached[/h][FONT=&quot]%3Cbr%20's server DNS address could not be found.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Latest posts