Ultratac K18 (XP-G2 S2, 1xAAA Ni-MH, Alkaline, Li-ion) Review

Nisei

Newly Enlightened
Hm, weird, link is working here. I fixed it 2 times, iPad was acting up.
Perhaps you haven't tried after the 2nd fix?

swan

Banned
I have the brass K18 and i use the Soshine 10440 cells with small button top which have the advantage of being the exact same size as a standard eneloop which means they fit almost every light.

I purchased a 4 pack of these cells thinking they were protected because they say 2.8v cut off in yellow writing on the cell, but HKJ set me straight and explained that because of its length and it does not actually say PROTECTED anywhere on the cell it could not have protection circuit. He was spot on as i purposely discharged it to around or below 2.5 volts from memory.

In saying all this, after approx six months i am very happy with them. The cells hold their voltage well, can deliver a high rate of current and fit every aaa light i have and only cost $7 us.

Nisei

Newly Enlightened
Received my protected 10440 cells from Fasttech yesterday and they easily fit my stainless steel version. No gap when tightening the head to the body.
They are different than the ones in the Fasttech picture though because they have a nipple.

Last edited:

jamieguitar

Newly Enlightened
The Ultratac K18 running the 3.7 li-ion battery is amazing for a light of this size. About a month ago, and after a fair amount of research, I decided on an Olight i3e. This is a fantastic, really bright keychain flashlight. A week later, I saw the K18. Being a bit of a flashaholic, or whatever you would call it, I knew I had to get it. Running a AAA battery, the K18 is comparable to the Olight i3e. Stick that 3.7 volt li-ion in, and it's fantastic. Much brighter. Shockingly bright for its size. For the people talking about the lockout feature, mine has it. Double-click and I'm all set.

jamieguitar

Newly Enlightened
The Ultratac K18 running the 3.7 li-ion battery is amazing for a light of this size. About a month ago, and after a fair amount of research, I decided on an Olight i3e. This is a fantastic, really bright keychain flashlight. A week later, I saw the K18. Being a bit of a flashaholic, or whatever you would call it, I knew I had to get it. Running a AAA battery, the K18 is comparable to the Olight i3e. Stick that 3.7 volt li-ion in, and it's fantastic. Much brighter. Shockingly bright for its size. For the people talking about the lockout feature, mine has it. Double-click and I'm all set.

I meant to mention that my K18 with the lockout feature is the brass model.

swan

Banned
Does anybody know how many ma are used from an nimh battery in high medium and low brightness modes.

Thanks

John

From a 1.2v nimh cell calculated using run times from this and other reviews- all are approx values but should be close.

High- 800mA

Med- 200mA

Low- 25mA

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
From a 1.2v nimh cell calculated using run times from this and other reviews- all are approx values but should be close.

High- 800mA

Med- 200mA

Low- 25mA

Thanks for the Information :)

EDIT: At 800ma how do they get 1hr runtime on an alkaline battery, Even at 400ma i doubt they would get 1hr even down to 10% light output.

John.

Last edited:

swan

Banned
Thanks for the Information :)

EDIT: At 800ma how do they get 1hr runtime on an alkaline battery, Even at 400ma i doubt they would get 1hr even down to 10% light output.

John.

Yes the alkalines are only ok at lower currents and i personally wont use them. On high you will only get less than 30 mins of unregulated instantly declining output with the alkaline cell and maybe it will vent and damage the light. The lithium energiser L92 aaa is a good cell if you need throw away primaries and offers pretty decent run times.

I like the 10440 in this light as i mainly use the medium mode at 80 lumens which gives well over an hour of non stop regulated output which is comparable to the eneloop on high.

I suspect the runtimes stated for the aaa by Ultratac where perhaps achieved with the L92 not a standard duracell alkaline.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see an Lifepo4 10440 in the K18 with it`s virtually flat discharge profile, though at 280mah most likely 200mah it might not last long but it would be interesting to see.

EDIT: I decided to order a 4pack of Soshine brand just out of interest, hopefully i will get them in a month or so.

John.

Last edited:

swan

Banned
I would like to see an Lifepo4 10440 in the K18 with it`s virtually flat discharge profile, though at 280mah most likely 200mah it might not last long but it would be interesting to see.

EDIT: I decided to order a 4pack of Soshine brand just out of interest, hopefully i will get them in a month or so.

John.

I have been happy with the soshines, small button top, fits everything, hold their voltage well deliver plenty of current and charging them up from above 3v they show about 320 mAh of charge. I have many quality brands of li ion cells but these are the first 10440 i have owned and i rate them as very good so far.

I do not own or have any experience with Lifepo4 but because of their lower nom voltage, im guessing they might not drive the k18 to its max output if this is important and maybe someone who has tried them can comment.

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been happy with the soshines, small button top, fits everything, hold their voltage well deliver plenty of current and charging them up from above 3v they show about 320 mAh of charge. I have many quality brands of li ion cells but these are the first 10440 i have owned and i rate them as very good so far.

I do not own or have any experience with Lifepo4 but because of their lower nom voltage, im guessing they might not drive the k18 to its max output if this is important and maybe someone who has tried them can comment.

The brightness i get from nihm battery`s is bright enough for me, I prefer longer runtime.

Thanks

John.

EDIT: Somebody took a faulty one apart and posted a pic.

ygSySNy.jpg

Last edited:

joelbnyc

Enlightened
What charger is best for 10440's these days? My only experience with small 4.2V was my old Quantum D2's 10180 USB charger, which was very handy.

I take it normal full-size 4.2V LiIon chargers like the Nitecore D2/I2 aren't great for small cells, even if they claim to be compatible?

And I presume the Ultratac 10440 charger also charges Efests IMR 10440's?

I'm trying to decide whether to just buy the K18 bundle on Amazon with the generic blue 10440 and USB charger, and/or buy a separate efest imr 10440 and some other charger.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
What charger is best for 10440's these days? My only experience with small 4.2V was my old Quantum D2's 10180 USB charger, which was very handy.

I take it normal full-size 4.2V LiIon chargers like the Nitecore D2/I2 aren't great for small cells, even if they claim to be compatible?

And I presume the Ultratac 10440 charger also charges Efests IMR 10440's?

I'm trying to decide whether to just buy the K18 bundle on Amazon with the generic blue 10440 and USB charger, and/or buy a separate efest imr 10440 and some other charger.

I would take John's suggestion and I would also get an EFEST IMR 10440 and NOT that generic Blue [Ultrafire? Trustfire?] 10440. I forget where[on another K18 thread maybe] it was tested but it is a piece of junk!

If you wanted a 2 bay charger, I am sure John or someone else could recommend one! CAPO and i have to get on the trail!!

,Good luck

,p.s. my 2 Ultratacs run great on the EFEST IMR 10440! :thumbsup:

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, Tinder and Capolini.

Just ordered the SS K18 for $28.85USD and Xtar XP1 for $9.49 from Amazon, and an Efest imr 10440 from illumination supply, they only had one in stock.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the info, Tinder and Capolini.

Just ordered the SS K18 for $28.85USD and Xtar XP1 for $9.49 from Amazon, and an Efest imr 10440 from illumination supply, they only had one in stock.

Your welcome. Illumn is a great place....been ordering stuff for Four years from them. Another GREAT place happens to be in my home town! I stumbled upon them ~ 18 months ago.

They are called liionwholsale.com. their prices are hard to beat ,,especially since I can go to the warehouse which eliminates shipping.

If you need anymore 10440 batteries or any other L.Ion,,,,check them out. they only sell batteries and chargers.

https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...battery-wholesale-discount?variant=3077507268

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some of the 10440 Soshine lifepo4 280mah to use in my K18 as they have a almost flat discharge curve compared to standard li-ion which is like falling off a cliff as the K18 is not regulated.
But after doing some test i am only getting 180mah when using an 3.6v charge and an 2.9v discharge, So i would advise against them unless 180mah is sufficient.

I cannot find any Efest IMR 10440 in the UK, But i will continue looking.

The only 10440 li-ion 3.7v that i have is an WUBEN 350mah that came with one of my aaa flashlights.

John.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Thanks, liionwholsale showed up on google shopping as well for Efest 10440's, and was marginally cheaper. I used illumn only because I've also ordered from them since 2013, but I will give liionwholesale a go next time.

I'm psyched to try this 10440 light though. My current metal-finished 1xAAA-sized collection will now be: Maratac Cu Rev3, Prometheus QRv2, Thrunite SS Ti CW latest version, Olight i3S-CU raw, Ultratac K18 SS.

Maybe eventually I'll add a Peak Eiger and something by MBI. I wish Veleno would start making mini lights again too, I miss my long-lost Quantum D2's! Those were awesome.

Last edited: