Unknown behavior Maha C9000 with some Ni-Mh's

nunopicado

Newly Enlightened
Hello

My C9000 finally arrived, and I started by putting in all my old batteries (one at a time), to check which ones were dead, as in "HIGH" internal resistance.

I got a few of those, and a few more that start charging (yet to see if they hold charge), but a few more did something unexpected:

I put the battery in, it is detected and the LCD light comes on, I select charging current and press Enter, then the LCD goes off, as if I had taken out the battery.

Of course these batteries are going into the recycle bag like the ones that returned HIGH, but I'd like to know if this behavior is something to be expected, and in which situations (other than crap cells).
Did this happened to anyone else?

Thank you
Nuno

skypirate

Newly Enlightened
You're not alone. That happened to me a few times with my first C9000 when I first received it, back in November 2013. Both units have worked without incident since then. No idea what caused it. My best guess is something to do with seating the batteries or maybe batteries with high resistance.

LowLumen

Newly Enlightened
You might try cleaning the battery contacts; rub with pencil eraser then clean with alcohol. Dirty contacts could cause a high resistance.

Viking

Enlightened
Hi nunopicado

Almost same thing happens to me when I insert an alkaline. Only difference is that mine LCD screen turns on again after a few seconds and goes back to the main menu ( won't charge the cell ).
If I select charge again same thing happens the LCD turns off for a few seconds , but then turns on again and goes back to the main menu.
Why your screen doesn't turn on again I don't know , but you undoubtedly have an extremely bad cell I think.

You may also read this thread on the matter.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...9000-Resets-As-Soon-As-It-Gets-a-Cell-Reading

Last edited:

nunopicado

Newly Enlightened
That's it!
It goes off and then on again, and keeps blinking while the cell is loaded.

So, if the Ri is abnormally high, it snaps and blinks istead of showing HIGH.
Weird, but nothing that can't be handled.

Anyway, those cells are in the bag to follow their path to oblivion.

Thank you all
Nuno

Power Me Up

Enlightened
I've also seen this on a C9000.

My guess is that the controller is resetting - either it's crashing and a watchdog is restarting it, or the high resistance cell is causing the supply voltage to the controller to drop low enough that it resets due to a brown out.

RCM

Enlightened
I've also seen it..my very old Panasonic AAA cells started doing it, it resets the charger..I might watch the terminal voltage when it resets...so I can see exactly what's going on!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Candlepowerforums mobile app