(Update !!NOT HID!!) Costco "HID", anyone has experience?

horizonseeker

Enlightened
I was in costco (Santa Barbara) on Saturday and noticed that it had a pallet of HID lights for $30.00. Has anyone else seen them and maybe have more experience with this particular brand/model?

I was in too much of a hurry (didn't buy anything at the end) to study it carefully.

it also had leatherman Juice S2 for $30, also an excellent price.

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Re: Costco HID, anyone has experience?

That sounds very interesting!

What did it look like? Was it one of the 3 in the size comparison picture in THIS thread (picture in post #7)? Was it a red version of the middle light in the picture I linked you to?

Once I know exactly what model it is I can give you a recommendation as to whether it is a good light or not.:)

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

I saw a $30 Spotlight in Costco / Glendale and Costo / Burbank. It was NOT an HID spotlight. It was a Halogen spotlight with an H series bulb. It was shaped sort of like a Thor 10 MCP while being more the size of an AI. I don't live in Santa Barbara, so I could not tell you what was in that store, but the price is the same as the Halogen Spotlights in Glendale and Burbank at the same time you saw pallet of lights in SB.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it's the HID, it will say something like "35Watt Xenon HID" on the box.

As far as I know, the HIDs were a very limited run in a few Southern California Costcos and sold out years ago. They also cost $90 and most people assume the HIDs are Thor 100 watt Halogen incandescents which they strongly resemble. "Oh, yeah, I've got one of those. It cost me 30 bucks." Sometimes, I turn it on and ask, "You sure this is what you got?"

"Uh, no."

horizonseeker

Enlightened

the label said HID IIRC, the photo (Bluebeam22) is not the same light, I'm going back to SB again so I might pick it up if they are still around.

I just might pick it up now that I think about it, since costco has a good return policy I can return it if it doesn't perform well.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was at the Costco in Yorba Linda today, and saw what I believe was the light in question.

Definitely halogen, and not one I've seen before. I think it may have a blue-ish bulb, but maybe not. It was $30 and pretty well built. Size wise it was a little bigger than the 3152...I think

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was at the Costco in Yorba Linda today, and saw what I believe was the light in question.

Definitely halogen, and not one I've seen before. I think it may have a blue-ish bulb, but maybe not. It was $30 and pretty well built. Size wise it was a little bigger than the 3152...I think

Yes that is what I saw both in Glendale and Burbank;
Shaped sort of like a Thor in a size similar to a 3152.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Patriot

Flashaholic

If you ever do see a real HID spotlight for $30 don't even question yourself...just buy it. As a matter of fact, buy a pallet and sell them here on CPF :)

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you ever do see a real HID spotlight for $30 don't even question yourself...just buy it. As a matter of fact, buy a pallet and sell them here on CPF :)

Yeah lemme tell ya, felt great to see the power on board lights selling for next to nothing....suddenly :poof: went the plans of trying to sell my 3152 at a decent price. At least I have a warmer bulb in mine lol.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Yeah lemme tell ya, felt great to see the power on board lights selling for next to nothing....suddenly :poof: went the plans of trying to sell my 3152 at a decent price. At least I have a warmer bulb in mine lol.

The 3152 is a more desirable light in my book, so you did good. :cool: At least bulb upgrades for the POB are an option since the 3152 no longer is.

mannnu81

Newly Enlightened

anybody care to guese (educated please) of how many lumens this costco spotlight might make?:thinking:

thanx a bunch, you can also pm me the answer

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened

my local costco had a thor clone with a h3 bulbnice well built light for$30 it also has a led array for an area light. so I got it to useas a camping light. but got me thinking I want more throw, it out throws anything else I have, by a lot, but is just a nice h3 with a big reflector. and good size sla battery.
noe in the market for a HID Light of the same size, I'll be back here looking for that WOW light, for me this was a wow light.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/3088067810_8cb683d52c.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/3087227677_74d4b32c84.jpg?v=0
it was $30 at the santa clara costco. I looked at a few other costco hoping to score a HID but struck out. WENT ON wild goose chase....here's all today drove to sunnyvalle, milpitas, sanjose& santa clara.costco this time of the year is a mad warehouse.I found[http://farm4.static.flickr.com /313...I hope they start to carry a nice HID lighht.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

anybody care to guese (educated please) of how many lumens this costco spotlight might make?:thinking:

thanx a bunch, you can also pm me the answer

Around 1800-2200 lumens if we're talking about the same light that the OP started the thread about.

Last edited:

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened

Around 1800-2200 lumens if we're talking about the same light that the OP started the thread about.

the one I have came with a 55w H3 bulb, which I replaced with a 100w h3. so mine has a bit more now. If costco has an hid lantern I'll need to visit all the costcos in my area, I'm sure the HID will be more awesome.any other quick upgrades to do?would love more uotput:)

paulsl

Enlightened

I have some pics of this light and 2 others (from Home depot & walmart) on my Blackberry that I took on Saturday. I'd like to post them but can't figure it out how. The Costco Spot light said 900 lumens in the price card. The Home depot bigger light boasted 1365 + or -. If someone explains how to do it, I'll post them.

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened

I have some pics of this light and 2 others (from Home depot & walmart) on my Blackberry that I took on Saturday. I'd like to post them but can't figure it out how. The Costco Spot light said 900 lumens in the price card. The Home depot bigger light boasted 1365 + or -. If someone explains how to do it, I'll post them.

I have a yahoo flickr photo account and linked to that. home depot ??? was it hid??? if so how much was it?? saw a HID at Kragens auto supply. $89but trust costco way more then kragen. costco usually has good stuff.

Last edited: