(Update !!NOT HID!!) Costco "HID", anyone has experience?

paulsl

Enlightened
Re: Costco HID, anyone has experience?

The HD spot is a Black & Decker for the same $29.95. The Walmart one is a Brinkmann. The pics are low quality but you can see them. If you want me to email them I will. Just PM me.

I have a yahoo flickr photo account and linked to that. home depot ??? was it hid??? if so how much was it?? saw a HID at Kragens auto supply. $89but trust costco way more then kragen. costco usually has good stuff.

mannnu81

Newly Enlightened

Around 1800-2200 lumens if we're talking about the same light that the OP started the thread about.
Since its not the HID its 900 lumens,'now I remember. . If I also change the bulb to 100 watt H3, what kind of battery time should I expect? On a side note, I purchased a 900 lumen Aurora flashlight from deal extreme, if I get from it anywhere close to what this costco lights puts out I'm going to be extremely happy.
Good day!

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened

Since its not the HID its 900 lumens,'now I remember. . If I also change the bulb to 100 watt H3, what kind of battery time should I expect? On a side note, I purchased a 900 lumen Aurora flashlight from deal extreme, if I get from it anywhere close to what this costco lights puts out I'm going to be extremely happy.
Good day!

I have both... not even cose the only thing similar is the speed of light :)the aurora is nice small and does put out but nowhere the throw or volume of light. I hear its closer to 300-400 lumens but it will impress non cpf people. itneeds a much bigger reflector for it to be a thrower. the costco light is nice and well built easy to change the bulb, has a nice led area light I'll use it a lot for camping. because of the led light. they should burn fo a very long time. and I'll have a massive overkill light when needed.100w h3 bulbes are rated at 2000 bulb lumensbut the burn time will be less then 1/2 the 55w bulb. didn't check to see what batteries were in the costco lantern. but it is heavy 7.2lbswas thinking of visiting the motorcycle shop for bulbs...

Last edited:

mannnu81

Newly Enlightened

^^^ thanx for the answer. one reviewer on DX was saying Aurora make 800, which prompted me to buy it immediately for my mountain bike. argh, i wish i searched more and bought less. i bought 6 flashlights from DX, i really do hope theyre worth it

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

the one I have came with a 55w H3 bulb, which I replaced with a 100w h3. so mine has a bit more now. If Costco has an hid lantern I'll need to visit all the costcos in my area, I'm sure the HID will be more awesome. Any other quick upgrades to do? would love more output :)

Slap a cheap Chinese HID kit into it... 35w would provide the most runtime and is cheaper than the 55w (over-hyped-rating) version! :thumbsup:

BTW instead of tearing around town looking for HID spotlights, try ringing places listed in your directory (cheaper & more efficient use of time) :D

Last edited:

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened

Slap a cheap Chinese HID kit into it... 35w would provide the most runtime and is cheaper than the 55w (over-hyped-rating) version! :thumbsup:

BTW instead of tearing around town looking for HID spotlights, try ringing places listed in your directory (cheaper & more efficient use of time) :D
good point but if I find a $30 HID at costco it would be worth it.now the mega illuminator looka tempting.

horizonseeker

Enlightened

sorry folks about the misleading post, I'm in arizona right now and haven't had a chance to get to a costco again.

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened

thanks for the heads up! if you make it back home andcostco grab a shot of the costco tag if it is a hid maybe I can locate one up here.... have a safe trip home

horizonseeker

Enlightened

ok, I made it into a costco in glendale, az. It is indeed only a spot light, not HID.

I changed the thread title to reflect the fact.