UPDATED Elzetta ZFL M60 Mini Review - RUN TIMES ADDED

varmint

Enlightened
Re: Elzetta ZFL M60 Mini Review - PHOTO HEAVY!

Nice write up and pics, love those 2nd Gen 19's, I also have a 2nd Gen 32 after 3-1/2 years looking for one.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

NEW TEST - run time. Inspired by Scout24's test of run time on low, I decided to sacrifice the Battery Station primaries that came with the light for a high level run time test. Other tests have been done (and referenced in the first post), but this is an 'updated, unscientific' test. So armed with my trusty infrared thermometer and home made integrated sphere, began the test. Incidentally, the Battery Station primaries may have had 5 minutes run time on them already.

Before testing, I measured .765 amps at the tail. The following chart provides the result of the test. Left to right on the columns: Elapsed time, temperature at the head, lumen output, temperature at the tail, and any comments.

When 130 minutes (2 hours, 10 minutes), I retested the amps at the tail - .13 - batteries were at 1.62 and 2.08 volts. Interestingly, after allowing the light to cool down for a couple of minutes, the light powered up at around 77 lumen. And a very nice, usable 4-5 lumen on low.

So now that same light is on again in the low setting - waiting to see just how long it will run on low - and I'll report that back later! For now, please check out the results of the test. Bottom line, I love these lights more each day, and although I had respect for the Malkoff drop ins already, that respect is even higher now!

00010C.jpeg

scout24

Flashaholic

33 hours, dimming a bit but still brighter ceiling bounce than my EO1.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just checking in... I took the batteries from the run time test on high and have subjected them to another run time test on low. The light has currently been running for 18 1/2 hours - output at beginning of test was 3 lumen - it is now down to 1. As many of you who love low output lights know, this could be VERY useful in a power outage or any time there is little to no ambient light. No doubt the Elzetta/Malkoff combo extracts VERY useful run times from primary cells!

Very impressive. Can't wait to read Scout's final results! For now, I'm leaving the light on - and betting that it'll still be going after 24 hours, at which point I'll measure the output and shut it down.

scout24

Flashaholic

And it's over... a few minutes past 53 hours on low with the included Batterystation cells. Never faded down below about 1 lumen, just shut off. Cells have had a few minutes of recovery time, and measure 1.74 and 1.75v. I'll have to take them home and see if they'll run a Milky Candle. :) Awesome performance IMHO given the length of time it held above 10 lumens.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I give up. Finally ceased the test...the light ran for 28 hours on low AFTER I'd run the batteries to well below regulation. At the time I stopped it, the measured output was around .15 lumen - batteries had 1.52 and 1.67 volts left.

Let's think about this - Scout ran his for 53 hours on low. I ran mine on high for 2 hours 10 minutes, then another 28 hours (and it will still light the emitter.) If Scout used his on low for 15 minutes a day, that's 212 days. If I ran mine 15 minutes a day combined, that's almost 9 days on high plus 112 more days on low.

.15 lumen not useful? Really? I invite you to enter a dark room with night adjusted vision and fire up a 1/10 lumen light. Those of you who know will agree, it's incredibly useful - almost 'too bright.' And it was only in the last few hours that it dropped below 1 lumen. At the beginning of the low "let's exhaust it" test, the light was at 3 lumen and would still switch to high with a burst of around 50 lumen. Only after around 20 hours did it begin to drop below 3 lumen...

Now this isn't meant to morph into a comparison of run times and who's light does better, etc., but rather to tip our hats to a pretty awesome combo - the Malkoff light module and the Elzetta host - combined they offer great output, bullet proof construction, and AWESOME run time on primaries! I'm like scout - I don't typically use primaries, but in these lights I just might decide otherwise when I want to ensure I have light for the long haul. SHTF? I'm grabbin' an Elzetta with primaries! Oh, and BTW, I've added an M61, high CRI M61, M60F and M61NLL to my stable of light modules. Oh, for enough hosts to run them all, but Elzetta gives you that option!

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes! Thanks!!

Now, how long does the stobe run for? :)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes! Thanks!!

Now, how long does the strobe run for? :)

Good question - didn't try that! Perhaps it's time to sacrifice another set of primaries - only this time maybe a THREE cell, as I just this week received a new 3 cell complete light. I'll pop the strobe cap on it and test it out this weekend -although I expect that it'll run longer than just the weekend!

Stay tuned...

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am in the process of building a light from Oveready and after reading the reviews decided to pick up an Elzetta. This light is solid. The beam pattern is pretty similar to my G2X Pro and a the light itself is a little more on the cool side. I would agree that the switch is a little soft and unfortunately the light did not work with my Triad tail.

Suffice it to say the momentary lo/hi is much easier to operate than the double-click on my SF.

I would highly recommend this light.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the Elzetta compare in heft to a Malkoff MD2? Is the ZFL-M60 very forward heavy like an MD2?

I have an MD2 due to arrive today - I'll update this post when it does. I can say that the Elzetta (I have 3) doesn't feel forward heavy. I have the plain, low profile and crenelated bezels, with 2 2 cell and 1 3 cell bodies. They all feel balanced to me.

UPDATE - my MD2 arrived and I LOVE it, but it is a bit more hefty than the Elzetta. Nothing negative about either - I love the heft and structure of the MD2. The Elzetta seems (purely subjective - I haven't weighed them or looked at the specs) a bit lighter. And it doesn't seem quite as forward heavy...

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I put a 2xAA delrin 17mm tube in my 3 cell Elzetta. Then I put my M31 in there, the low on the hi low TC is like 3 lumens, its grrrrrrreeeat! :D

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't resist any longer. I ordered an LS2D (Low-Pro bezel, 2 cell, Hi-Lo tail cap). Your review pushed me over the edge so thank you very much!