UPDATED Elzetta ZFL M60 Mini Review - RUN TIMES ADDED

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my ZFL-M60 yesterday and I am very pleased with it. I was worried about the switch, since it was described as "mushy". I prefer firm switches like those on Surefire X series lights, but I really like the switch on this thing! Good resistance, short travel with a very muffled click. Thanks again for the review!

B4F23599.jpg

And the obligatory gun shot
11D5C109.jpg

And a quick closet beamshot. ZFL-M60 on the left and an LX2 on the right. Both on low.
4F8D7B7E.jpg

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad there's rings/halos on the ZFL-M60 :thumbsdow.

Yeah, that one ring is pretty pronounced, but the rest of the spill is uniform. The LX2 has some areas that are less bright in the spill beam. Just the nature of lights with optics I guess. I have other lights for when I want to do some white wall hunting. I plan on getting an M61L for times I need a prettier beam and better runtime. Overall, I'm very excited about the purchase.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking at the Elzetta lights recently to use as a work light (LEO). Currently using a HDS 170 which is super versatile but I really miss/prefer the piston style switch of my old SF 6P. I'm looking at the M60F with the rotary switch. Anyone have any experience/opinions with the flood beam drop-in model? I also noticed the crenellated bezel was pretty aggressive. I inquired at Elzetta whether it would be an effective glass breaker to which they responded "With proper precautions, the Elzetta ZFL-M60 crenellated bezel may be used to break glass". Any thoughts on its effectiveness in this regard?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking at the Elzetta lights recently to use as a work light (LEO). Currently using a HDS 170 which is super versatile but I really miss/prefer the piston style switch of my old SF 6P. I'm looking at the M60F with the rotary switch. Anyone have any experience/opinions with the flood beam drop-in model? I also noticed the crenellated bezel was pretty aggressive. I inquired at Elzetta whether it would be an effective glass breaker to which they responded "With proper precautions, the Elzetta ZFL-M60 crenellated bezel may be used to break glass". Any thoughts on its effectiveness in this regard?

I own a couple of the flood modules (Malkoff.) My perspectives are civilian - hopefully an LEO can jump into the discussion. If you are looking to flood a near field area with light, the flood is awesome. Logically, there's not a lot of reach or throw, but if you are coming into a (large or small) room and want to light it up, this would be a good choice. I've used mine walking my dogs in the dark, and it'll light up a pretty good sized yard, too.

As for breaking glass, my OPINION is that the crenelated bezel would make a decent tool - my only concern would be maybe breaking the lens? Still, maybe you've seen the video in this link...these guys repeatedly shot an Elzetta and a Surefire (with a shotgun). They were both very impressive, but the Elzetta was amazing.

Nice, too, that the Elzetta gives you a number of battery choices, including using 2 RCRs.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. My other concern is the LED module itself, its been out for a while and I would think it's due for an upgrade in lumens or runtimes but IDK. I kind of got interested in these modules when I saw one at work but I think they might of had the MCE with the 400 lumen output.

BTW that light was bright for a flood!

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. My other concern is the LED module itself, its been out for a while and I would think it's due for an upgrade in lumens or runtimes but IDK. I kind of got interested in these modules when I saw one at work but I think they might of had the MCE with the 400 lumen output.

It's pretty awesome with the M61 - a bit more output, more of a throw/spill kind of beam. I prefer it over all the others. It is a McGizmo reflector and it has a similar beam profile to the much loved Haiku.

I can't relate to your needs as an LEO, but if I were entering a room and depending on my light to a) illuminate and b) disorient (if only for a couple of seconds), that M61 might be my choice.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest needs of a light in the field vary but in my current assignment I find I'm using the light at distances between 5-50 feet most of the time. I have had many lights over the years and found they all have their pros and cons.

Thanks for the help.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the 3 cell Elzetta, and get an M61 219 HCRI. I think that would give you the best variation between throw and flood. Think of the M61 219 as a floody version of an XPG with HCRI capabilities. Not as much of a hot spot as an original M61, but more versatile in your range of 5-50 feet. Think of it as a wall of light! ;)