Upgraded reverse lights

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Hmm... if a 194 was somehow installed in place of a reverse lamp bulb with similar base ("oops, it's out, oh here's something that fits"), that would certainly explain a crappy backup light.:)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That's exactly what I'm wondering. The 900-series bulbs (906, 912, 916, 921, 922) have the same glass wedge base as the 194/168/W3W/W5W etc, but the two groups have very different focal lengths and most of the latter group put out less light than most of the former group.

Phatty McPatty

Newly Enlightened
On the topic of swapping a 1156 with a 796 bulb, would this be dangerous or inadvisable when used as a DRL; specifically for a '12 Mitsubishi Outlander? Also, I think I read in one of Stern's articles (or a Scheinwerfermann posting) stating that amber light is more effective than other colors as a DRL. Is this true? If so, does any reputable manufacturer make an amber-colored 796? All I've seen is the hacked 796's on Ebay.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
The life of the 796 is 1/4 of a 1156. Its great for reverse lighting since you probably won't run hundreds of hours in reverse. Stick with the stock bulbs for DRL.
795 is another 1156 option for reverse lighting. I've used both the 795 and 796 for my lawn tractor headlights. They've put the 1156 to shame.

For anyone wanting an incan option for the 921, Raybrig R118 is an 18w(stock wattage) 921 with twice the output. You're sacrificing life for output which shouldn't be a problem with a temporarily used reverse light.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The life of the 796 is 1/4 of a 1156

Yeah, and moreover...why would we need to double the intensity of the DRL? (Answer: we wouldn't!).

795 is another 1156 option for reverse lighting.

Not a wise one -- 795 is 55w, which is double the stock power. The wiring and switch are put at risk if you do this. The 796 is 35w, which is over stock power but not so much so that it creates a risk in most applications.

For anyone wanting an incan option for the 921, Raybrig R118 is an 18w(stock wattage) 921 with twice the output.

I donno about that. "Citation needed", etc. Raybrig is one of those brands aimed at the "tuner" crowd -- lots of blue bulbs, etc. -- and many of their claims seem to be made without substantiation or documentation.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
10 amp fuse on my reverse lighting which is good for 120w. Not too worried about the 55w bulbs when reversed is used for 2min backing up increments.

I didn't say to use 795/796 as a DRL. If you do any amount of driving, they'd burn out in a few months as a DRL. What I said was to "stick with the stock bulbs for DRL".

Raybrig 921 bulb that I was given isn't blue. And, I'd say 'one bulb' in reverse put out more light than 'both stock' 921 bulbs.

Another option is the 921x bulbs which are a little brighter.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
10 amp fuse on my reverse lighting which is good for 120w.

Sure, that's the fuse. Take a hard look at the wiring (gauge) and the switch rating. They are almost certainly not up to the task of handling 120w.

Not too worried about the 55w bulbs when reversed is used for 2min backing up increments.

You might be more worried about it if you had seen some of the hair-raisingly extensive damage I've seen as a result of exactly this application of exactly that bulb. Keep in mind many newer cars don't have a reverse light switch in the sense most of us are used to considering; rather, in reverse gear the body computer activates the reverse lamps. The output channels of the body computer aren't going to happily tolerate a severe overload.

I didn't say to use 795/796 as a DRL.

I know you didn't. Phatty McPatty asked about it.

Raybrig 921 bulb that I was given isn't blue. And, I'd say 'one bulb' in reverse put out more light than 'both stock' 921 bulbs.

Oh? What intensities did you measure?

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Measure intensities? Why, I looked out my WINDOW. Didn't need to use any fancy equipment. Maybe if the lighting engineers actually looked out their rearview mirror while driving at night, we'd get better reverse lighting.

I haven't blown any fuses or wires. But, the same warning should be given to the 35w bulbs too. And, with the push to relay/update wiring of the headlights, anyone who has an issue can simply do the same with their reverse wiring.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes, definitely subjective.
They're made by Stanley in Japan so I'm expecting reasonable quality.
And, the pictures on their website look just a little brighter than what I'm getting. But, the lighting distance is greatly improved.
http://www.raybrig.gr.jp/products/r118_pop.html

Ahh, yes-- I see another site stating "18W=36W" in the description for those bulbs. No, actually 18W=18W. It's simple math-- not to mention that light output is measured in lumens, not in watts.

My subjective impression of the beamshots is that it's the same picture with heavy editing.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, Google Translating the Raybrig.gr.jp page is a hoot. Things like:
Unnecessary relay harness can be attached to the plastic lens.
Assimilate and top coating with stealth reflectors, 4,200 K (Kelvin) is irradiated by a special deposition process of pure white light, directed into view when the lamp lighting style.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. (Ok, so that one's actually from News Radio)

That site is also hawking HID kits, which further detracts from any credibility that site may have.

You know how Black and Decker has toy tools with the B&D branding all over them, so a child can pretend she's just like her mommy using power tools? This is the automotive lighting version. Heck, the .gr.jp domain is like the US ".org".

mikered30

Newly Enlightened
I would imagine that the CREE 921 would be spotlights and far too directional with no light to the side. Anyone confirm?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
for backup lights there are (usually) no laws regarding output and lensing. not illegal. headlights, tails, markers, yes. not reverse lights.

anyway, this is in Massachusetts USA and I looked it up and no violations in Massachusetts with backup lights.
It doesn't matter what Massachusetts says on the subject of reverse lamps-- FMVSS 108 is clear that there are photometric standards regarding backup lamps.

Simplifying things, minimum axial intensity is 80cd, maximum intensity 300cd at any point on or above horizontal, max intensity 600cd at any point between horizontal and 5° down, max intensity 8,000cd at any point below 5° down.

Please don't use this forum to promote unlawful activity.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't matter what Massachusetts says on the subject of reverse lamps-- FMVSS 108 is clear that there are photometric standards regarding backup lamps.

Simplifying things, minimum axial intensity is 80cd, maximum intensity 300cd at any point on or above horizontal, max intensity 600cd at any point between horizontal and 5° down, max intensity 8,000cd at any point below 5° down.

Please don't use this forum to promote unlawful activity.

noted. I will refrain from posting about aftermarket LED lighting unless it comes from the same vehicle manufacturer. thanks

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need some extra light when I back up. My truck takes a standard 1156 bulb.

I use 9w 1156 single LED's they work great. They put out much more light than the standard light. I copied this picture from the website that I got them from here in Australia. They no longer have them listed on there site must be out of stock.

9wled.jpg

cheers