Upgraded the bear defense.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
LOL! The holster was another 16 so the price was more than 45 in total. I use a Wenger knife holster for the smaller anti dog spary. Under 10 bucks I think total spent for anti dog spray and holster. I bet in a pinch it would work for bears etc but more seems better. In any case worth its weight in gold if needed but still costly.

Price must have gone up. I paid only $12.oo for the basic holster out of the three separate ones made specifically for the Bear Spray. Honestly, not a fan of the chest rig holster. Basic one works better, for me.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Price must have gone up. I paid only $12.oo for the basic holster out of the three separate ones made specifically for the Bear Spray. Honestly, not a fan of the chest rig holster. Basic one works better, for me.

Funny thing I hardly think about cost with lights and knives but stuff like this I do. Another flashlight won't help if I get my head chewed off yet under 20 for a holster made me cringe. LOL!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Woods Walker,
Thanks for bringing this subject up for discussion.

Each time, I go to REI (which isn't often) I consider getting a bear defense, and have yet to do so. Next time out, I will.

Do you happen to know what the shelf life is? I'd hate to pick one up, that is already 2/3rds of the way to its expiration date, because I didn't know. To clarify, if they have a 5 year shelf life, I wouldn't want to pick one up that expires in a year.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
There has got to be better options than a dinner bell and seasoning for keeping the bears from eating you. I'd take a big knife for starters. Add on something with a bright camera flash or a strobe for nighttime. Maybe some stink bombs to throw around you to make you less appetizing. A bear has a sense of smell a thousand times stronger than a dog. I bet the skunk defense would be pretty effective. If that doesn't do it, a large knife or a lit road flare taped to the end of a trekking pole should keep it away. Of course, if allowed, bring a gun or at least a flare gun. If you have nothing else, you can throw rocks if attacked.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
There has got to be better options than a dinner bell and seasoning for keeping the bears from eating you. I'd take a big knife for starters. Add on something with a bright camera flash or a strobe for nighttime. Maybe some stink bombs to throw around you to make you less appetizing. A bear has a sense of smell a thousand times stronger than a dog. I bet the skunk defense would be pretty effective. If that doesn't do it, a large knife or a lit road flare taped to the end of a trekking pole should keep it away. Of course, if allowed, bring a gun or at least a flare gun. If you have nothing else, you can throw rocks if attacked.

I'm sorry but the only way you'd stand a chance against a bear, with a knife, is to mount/lash it at the top of a long sturdy pole before heading into the woods. The truth is, Bear spray is 2nd best to a proper firearm. And by proper, I mean a .45-70 lever-action carbine if compactness is important. If you can't take a gun, better not to go into bear territory.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...Bear spray is 2nd best to a proper firearm. And by proper, I mean a .45-70 lever-action carbine if compactness is important. If you can't take a gun, better not to go into bear territory.
The .44 Mag, .454 Casull and .460 S&W are pretty widely carried. The only one I've had with me at times of encounters has been the .44 Mag. Too many stories of long guns sitting in boats, trucks or up against trees. Sidearm is always there on you no matter what you're doing.

markr6

Flashaholic
bearsign.jpg

If it starts to eat you!!!!!! LOL!!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The .44 Mag, .454 Casull and .460 S&W are pretty widely carried. The only one I've had with me at times of encounters has been the .44 Mag. Too many stories of long guns sitting in boats, trucks or up against trees. Sidearm is always there on you no matter what you're doing.

I don't mind lugging around a long-gun, in carbine length. But I get it that that's just me. To be honest, for bear defense, I'd only rely on a .44 Magnum if it was loaded Hot. Such as the highest loading found in many reloading manuals. Typically with the warning: "Use in Ruger Blackhawk only."

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I don't mind lugging around a long-gun, in carbine length. But I get it that that's just me. To be honest, for bear defense, I'd only rely on a .44 Magnum if it was loaded Hot. Such as the highest loading found in many reloading manuals. Typically with the warning: "Use in Ruger Blackhawk only."
You're not alone, lots of guys don't mind lugging a long gun, and I've been one of them, but the only piece that stays with you all the time is the one you can wear and a .44 Mag in a shoulder holster is way better than the .375 H&H over by the tree.

As for whether the .44 Mag is good for bear or not, there are many kinds and sizes of bears, and for most black bears (not Prince of Wales Island), not a problem. That said, most everyone in Alaska has a .454 Casull, .460 S&W or .500 S&W.

Nice if you're loading your own rounds, but most places will have something along the line of heavy cast 300gr. rounds available right on the shelf.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Have to be honest, a carbine length long-gun can stay with you all the time. Just need a good sling. Main reason I prefer a .45-70. In carbine length, you're only getting four rounds. But that should be good enough. Only time it rests up against a tree is if you're depositing some useful human fertilizer to said tree. Even then, less than an arm-length away.

In the woods, it's not an EDC situation where your handgun is all you'll realistically have if the brown stuff hits the fan. Each journey into the woods is like a special trip where a light-weight carbine can be always carried.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Have to be honest, a carbine length long-gun can stay with you all the time. Just need a good sling. Main reason I prefer a .45-70.
I can run around in the woods much easier wearing a shoulder holster than a sling rifle but if walking is all you do then it's a great option.

In the woods, it's not an EDC situation where your handgun is all you'll realistically have if the brown stuff hits the fan. Each journey into the woods is like a special trip where a light-weight carbine can be always carried.
Your option is perfect for you but it really sounds like you haven't worked in Alaska clearing trails and hauling stuff or jumping on and off a four-wheeler while carrying. I've carried rifles on a sling and it's not something that is very conducive to getting work done. Friend and I took a huge black bear on Prince of Wales some years back and the first thing we did was get rid of the rifles on their slings so we could carry the thing down the logging road to the jeep. Shoulder holsters were not in the way but the rifles would have been very awkward in that situation.