Upgrading RRT-2 with a XML

bkrieb

Newly Enlightened
I have one the the older RRT-2 with a XRE R2 (q3 5a). It is one of my favorite flashlights, but latley consdired trying to upgrade it with a new XML led.
It has the brass heat sink so it can handle the heat of the XML led plus it built tough. Question is is it worth finding someone who can upgrade the flashlight or just buy a newer version?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just buy the new one, even the RRT-21 for continuous ramping control, or even the BC25 for a whopping 650 lumens and 189 meters of throw [close to your current R2 throw of 216 meters].
If you modify the old, you must get a new reflector too.
Keep the old R2 for throw when you need it, because the RRT-2 XM-L/RRT-21 will both only throw an identical 155 meters - you'll be sad you lost the old R2 which could throw 216 meters...

swan

Banned
I think you would have to upgrade the driver and led to achieve 460lms and that might be too expensive. I would go for the new one.

bkrieb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the good info! I do have the smooth reflector and it makes a big difference for throw compared to the OP. Yes if the price is almost the same as a new light then its time to start shopping!

Newly Enlightened
Don't change the led, not worth the cost. Unless you want to do the work yourself, it's always fun to tinker with your lights.

Another good light with the XML is the Zebralight SC600, I have one and it is great.

My friend Freddy was gobsmacked when he saw how much light a small flashlight could make.