Using Li-ion cells in LED flashlights safely

neoseikan

Enlightened
One day I just put two brand new 18650s into a brand new charger, they got hot immediately,
So, I thought the charger caused short. But when I check the charger with multimeter, I found the +/- poles are not connected. Quite strange.

broadwayblue

Newly Enlightened
Ahoy there

10440: The size of a AAA cell. Never protected. Do not use these without further research.

I've been using these for a year now. Bought them from AW for my Liteflux LF2. Should I be worried about them exploding in my pocket???

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using these for a year now. Bought them from AW for my Liteflux LF2. Should I be worried about them exploding in my pocket???

If you monitor the cells closely to make sure they are not over discharged nor over charged and you should be fine. I use them exclusively in my LD01s, LF2XT, and K-103.

JBorneu

Enlightened

The Liteflux LF2 (and it's newer variants) is one of the very few AAA lights with overdischarge protection and full Li-ion support. Program it so the overdischarge protection is on, do not use maximum mode for any extended ammount of time and recharge your cells often if you use it a lot. I EDC an LF2X running on a li-ion cell myself, nothing to worry about if you're careful and responsible (and you're using AW cells in a light made to be run on Li-ions and you read this thread so in all probability you are). The main danger is the light getting too hot on maximum mode. I programmed mine so the 2 stages are set on lowest low and as bright as possible without any heating of the light. That way, if it comes on in my pocket, even it it gets twisted all the way to P2, it won't get too hot. The user-adjustable mode is set to maximum, so if I want to show off, it's just a quick 2-switch away.

In my personal opinion, it's not a good idea to run the Fenix LD01 or the Akoray K-103 on 10440's. There are a number of threads discussing this so I won't go any further than saying that in the context of this thread (newbies and Li-ions) I will not recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased an AW10500 protected cell and a WF-139 charger from Lighthound. Is there anything particular that I need to be worried about with this setup?

JBorneu

Enlightened
I recently purchased an AW10500 protected cell and a WF-139 charger from Lighthound. Is there anything particular that I need to be worried about with this setup?

I can't find a 10500 cell on lighthound and I have never heard of it before. Do you mean a 14500 (AA size) cell? If so, make sure nobody puts it in anything designed only for regular 1.5 volt AA cells (children, spouse etc.). Other than that, no.

Vesper

Enlightened
So when I use my 2x18500's in a light until it cuts out, this is the protection circuit kicking in, right? If so, is this bad practice? My light (in this case a MC-E) doesn't dim, just drops below voltage and turns off.

DM51

Flashaholic
It's best to recharge Li-Ions well before they reach the low cut-out. In fact, you can recharge them as often as you like - it's much better for them than running them down to empty.

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
I put my charger in a metal bucket in the center of the garage (away from other stuff) while charging. If trouble occurs, I can open the door and carry the bucket out. Inexpensive and effective.

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys

I've been reading and researching this "end" of the light market for a while. I plan on getting my Z2 bored out, and hopefully a MD4. Anyway, all this reading I have doing about terrorist cells and treating cells right is starting to freak me out.

I'm a LEO and am looking at these lights for duty. ARE these types of lights suitable for rough use? From reading it seems like it would be the definition of not treating the cells right.

I guess the lights themselves are tough enough, but I'm kinda worried about my hand blowing up now.

Can someone put my mind at ease on this topic, please! I don't want to wait any longer to buy my new toys...I mean tools.

Thanks in advance

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
I think all of the stories I've heard about cells blowing up end up being due to any of these: primary CR123 cells that are shorted out or overheated, multiple primary cells mismatched (different ages/voltages), use of non-name-brand primary cells, dropping bare cells onto hard surfaces, and attempting to charge primary/non-rechargeable cells.

Personally, I stick with alkalines, NiMH (either low-self-discharge like Eneloops or normal NiMH if I don't need long term charge-holding), or protected AW lithium ion rechargeables. I don't worry about using primary CR123 cells in single-cell lights. I treat my lithiums with care and keep them in a case (to avoid shorts & damage) if I need to carry them as spares.

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
So dropping them is a no no? I assume that also applies while they cells are in the light? What I carry will be dropped at some point, so should I reconsider these types of batteries?

I am completely new to these kind of set-ups, a big Streamlight person just due to the commonality factor. However seeing the numbers on some of these units completely amazes me, and want to carry something powered by 18650.

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
So dropping them is a no no? I assume that also applies while they cells are in the light? What I carry will be dropped at some point, so should I reconsider these types of batteries?

Dropping bare cells is not good, but the flashlight will absorb most of the shock and prevent the batteries from suffering any physical damage. I don't recall any stories of battery damage occurring from dropped flashlights. US-made cells with the UL label should be fine, but the cardinal rule of lithium primary batteries is to replace all batteries at the same time with new batteries of the same brand, capacity and state-of-charge (voltage level, for all practical purposes). As long as you replace all cells at the same time and pull all new cells out of the same package of US-made/UL-labeled cells, you should be fine.

There are millions of folks using lithium primary cells in flashlights, but relatively few reports of exploding batteries. Most exploding batteries I've heard about end up being due to mixing old/new cells or cells of different brand/size/capacity/state-of-charge. Follow the basic rules for lithium primaries and you shouldn't have any problem.

There's a nice article covering this info here.

FWIW, you'll enjoy the additional runtime and brightness afforded you by lithium cells. Lots of power in a small package. :)

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a LEO and am looking at these lights for duty. ARE these types of lights suitable for rough use?
In an appropriate light, and with appropriate chargers, yes.
From reading it seems like it would be the definition of not treating the cells right.
Not really -- physical damage to the cells is one form of not treating them right, but the only way that happens using them in a light is if the light itself is structurally compromised. (e.g. If you use a thin-wall light as a prybar, then when it collapses, it crushes the cells inside and could cause a short.) The most prevalent forms of abuse are all electrical in nature -- overdischarge, overcurrent, and overcharge, and how roughly you need to use your lights in the field has nothing to do with them.

tsmith35: I think he's considering Li-ions, not metallic lithium primaries; the typical failure modes are rather different.

JBorneu

Enlightened
CDP930: In a bored out Surefire Z2 you shouldn't worry about damage to the cell when you drop it, as long as you don't drop it off a skyscraper. The cell is suspended between two springs which absorb most of the shock. Make sure you use AW cells and a quality charger (the Pila IBC charger is the best plug and play charger). AW's cells are the only protected cells (that I know off) which are designed specifically to avoid an accidental short if the cell gets dropped and the protection circuit breaks, so if you drop the bare cell and the protection circuit breaks it still won't explode, but it might vent and it won't work anymore.

Last edited:

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for the help. I can't wait to get all my goodies.

Out of curiosity, does anyone own a Surefire mod? I know there have been beamshot comparisons done, but what's a M30 or 60 like compared to, oh say a Fenix P3D or a Pelican 7060? I'm don't have any hands on time with any of these super bright lights as I bought lights more common in the field simply because everyone carried them. However, I am excited to say I'm ready to break the mold.