USL Field Test Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
The current design is one I can make from aluminum extrusion on the mill in my garage, and have offered to run the 80 or so of them at my own time and expense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry, that is extremely generous of you, but not necessary. Much like JimH and Psychomodo, I would be more than happy to pay for mine. BTW, I like the design of the guard, too. And I also agree that it should be black. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, kudos to Larry. And I'd be fine with either paying directly or having some amount added to the USL price and including the guard as an accessory with every unit (assuming it's removable).

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
While I applaud Larry's resourcefulness and generosity, I don't personally want a guard on my USL. Aesthetic concerns, mostly. I don't have any kids, and would never even consider just throwing the light in a duffle or something. So, I think I'll just go with one of those NiteIze rings and an abundance of caution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That said, it seems to me that the simplest and most invisible solution would be to add some sort of electrical cutoff somewhere in the circuit. JS, could your pack wiring topology accomodate the addition of an extra connector that could be accessed via the tailcap? Something integrated into the existing connection that will be used for charging, perhaps? An actual switch back there would be even slicker, but not really necessary.

EDIT: Okay, I went back and read JS's pack construction thread. It appears that, no, interrupting the wires leading to (or from) the charging connector would not disable the light. (I guess that makes sense. If the charging connector was in the same "loop" as the bulb, you'd have to have the switch turned on in order to charge the pack, and that would power the bulb, and that... would be bad.)

So, we'd have to run a whole seperate loop of wire down to the tailcap area, and that would add resistance. Or, one of JS's nifty wire-braid jumpers back there would have to be made "interruptable" somehow. That doesn't sound very feasible, unless those R/C guys just happen to use something like that... Seems unlikely.

-Dave

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Psychomodo, Jim, Fat_Tony and Paul,

Thanks, but the material cost is trivial, though the anodizing will run me $40 whether there's one or 80. I ain't worried about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul, it can't be a removable accessory as currently designed- the switch would have to be unsoldered to remove/replace it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Speaking of which, I need to get off CPF and out to the garage to resolder a switch so I can retake some pics.

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Ok, got 3 pics up. First is after resoldering the switch and ready to re-press into the body. You can see the flat on the body the guard fits into.
site1070.JPG

Next a shot of the lowered guard. I added a brass split ring to the cotter for chuckles. Wish I'd blown off the loose particulate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
site1071.JPG

Lastly, as good a profile shot as I could line-up.
site1072.JPG

I can't see it getting any sleeker and still retain some functionality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Larry

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Larry,

Excellent, as usual/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif . Anodized and possibly trimmed down a bit this will be the solution. The only remaining question is how to carry it since it won't fit in the Mag ring and I don't know of an appropriate holster; perhaps Ripoffs might have something, otherwise we may have to go custom.

Brightnorm

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Brightnorm,

You're planning on EDCing one of these things?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

That is the trimmed-down one, and is only ~3/8" tall.

(I have to admit the puppy still gives me a literal and figurative "warm and fuzzy" every time I push that little rocker switch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

Larry

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry knows this, I think, but I certainly approve and appreciate his work.

Modamag is going to need the new milling measurements and I am going to open a new thread for the safety list ASAP.

I am assuming black anno, Larry?

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First all, this version looks perfect to me. You've done a great job on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

It looks like there's about 3/8" - 1/2" space between the guard and the rear edge of the head. Is that about right? The Lite Ring's clip is a handy way to secure the USL, and it looks as if it would be a near perfect fit between the guard and the head.

I'm probably going to get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif by Larry for this comment, but I just can't help myself. That brass ring makes it look like the USL is wearing an earring! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In preparation of the safety guard thread, I wanted to go ahead and create the next part of this thread, as we are approaching the 200 post limit.

Please see USL Field Test Thread, Pt 4 for the continuation of this thread.

nethiker

Enlightened
Sorry Codeman. I was writing this post at the same time you started the new one. I have moved this post to the USL Field Test Thread, Pt. 4

Greg

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. Thanks for moving it!

Moderators - you can lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.