• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple Scout / E Series Heads

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious too! I got my e-series head tonight, and it's very cool! So far I've only tried it on a Mcgizmo 123 pack, (which is great) but I am looking forward to trying it with the Malkoff MDC 123 body I have in the mail.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about this one? Sorry for the terrible pic.

Surefire U2 body with Tana e adaptor.

C198A526-821B-431F-8C96-90D503D68973_zpsif6yxqrv.jpg

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
So just ordered my first V5 triple head from Oveready/Torchlab. Always nervous about picking one up cause of the complexity but thought I would give it a try.

Got the high only option with intent to use it with rechargeable batteries and CR 123 for emergencies.

Looking forward to getting it and got a new mcclicky switch also to replace my E1B switch.

archimedes

Flashaholic
:caution: I doubt "high only" mode is compatible with 2x CR123A :caution:

It is programmable, however, and you can program different "1 cell settings" vs "2 cell settings"

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
So just ordered my first V5 triple head from Oveready/Torchlab. Always nervous about picking one up cause of the complexity but thought I would give it a try.

Got the high only option with intent to use it with rechargeable batteries and CR 123 for emergencies.

Looking forward to getting it and got a new mcclicky switch also to replace my E1B switch.

Congrats! You won't regret it. Just to make sure, you need the 'modified' McCliky to fit the E1B switch. It's the ones that OR carries for Z57/Z61 tailcaps.

Enjoy!

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well good to know, thanks Archimedes. I'll play around with it and maybe find a setting that will be safe for both 16340 or 1 CR123 battery.

Thanks euroekn. Yes I did purchase the modified McClicky through Oveready. Be interesting how this switch feels since I'm so use to Surefire's switch

Stoneking

Enlightened
View attachment 5405
My new everyday light! The Scout Head looks great on my AlTiN Coated 2x123 body. Running primaries provides plenty of light I need.

zUSlZi1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonas

Newly Enlightened
This table shows all three possible cell configurations v5 is able to work with, as well as the associated power limits for each cell configuration:

PKtO2LJ.png

If you want max high only for both mode groups
--> first mode group: 1x Li-Ion
--> second mode group: 2x CR123A (for backup)
your program should look like this:

eBYftgK.png

With 2x CR123A cells, the v5 is limited to a maximum of 8.8W (this is the maximum CR123A cells are able to handle safely!).

DHEn4WW.png

If you want max high only for both mode groups
--> first mode group: 1x Li-Ion
--> second mode group: 2x Li-Ion
your program should look like this:

Do NOT use 2xCR123A cells in this case!

tIo8cJS.png

In general:
Make sure to use high quality cells at all times (Li-Ion & CR123A)!
18650 can be either high drain (IMR) or high capacity
18350 should be always high drain (IMR)
16340 should be always high drain (IMR)

:caution: I doubt "high only" mode is compatible with 2x CR123A :caution:

It is programmable, however, and you can program different "1 cell settings" vs "2 cell settings"

Program the second mode group to 2x Li-Ion and the v5 will also run with 2x CR123A cells.
In this case, when using CR123A cells, make sure to NOT use any mode above 8.8W!

I hope this explains the "high only" vs CR123A concern?
If anything is not clear, let me know.

Last edited:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jonas for the info!!! I noticed you mention using 2 CR123 batteries. Is it safe to use 1 CR123 battery if I program it to a lower mode like mode 15

Jonas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jonas for the info!!! I noticed you mention using 2 CR123 batteries. Is it safe to use 1 CR123 battery if I program it to a lower mode like mode 15

You are welcome! :)

According to Dan (OVEREADY) and Serge (Lux-RC), the v5 light engine was not designed to run with just a single CR123A cell.

In your previous post I recognized that you are using a SF E1B with the v5 E-head?
In this case you are limited to a single cell anyway.
That is not ideal for a "high only" setup when planing to use 1x Li-Ion as main cell and CR123A for backup.

For your E1B you are limited to the first mode group for 1x Li-Ion which is
intended to work between 4.2V and 2.8V (or down to 2.5V when battery protection is OFF).

A single CR123A cell only provides around 3V (or a bit more when fresh).
This is already close to the 2.8V threshold voltage, the v5 uses to protect a single Li-Ion cell from overdischarge.

In theory, lower modes that do not draw a lot of amps, would work with one CR123A.
Level 15 with just 270mW (0.27W) is fairly low and safe to use with a single CR123A cell.
On the other hand when using just mode 15 with 1x Li-Ion also, the potential of the v5 is kinda wasted.

What mode would you like to use as "high only" when running on 1x Li-Ion cell?
Do you use a 16340 IMR or 18350 IMR with your E1B?

This would be an alternative to "high only" and allows the use of a single CR123A cell:

Go up to 17W as your second mode when running on a single Li-Ion cell (17W is the limit for 1x Li-Ion cell).
Use the first mode only when running on your CR123A backup cell.

i9SD1u1.png

Last edited:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i plan on using a 16340 battery with my E1B. I don't think 18350 batteries will fit in my backup, will it? As for mode, I would like to use as many lumens as I can get with a pretty good runtime. So mode 28? Safe to use on 1 16340 battery?

I know I will prob won't get a nice runtime especially on high only but this will only serve as a back up light. I have a Surefire titan for edc. Plus I can always keep spare 16340 batteries in my bag.

Last edited:

mikesantor

Enlightened
I have a spare scout body and tape switch (that tests fine with this head).
Let me know if you'd like to borrow them!

Thanks buddy. My V5 head is due in the mail today and I have 2 tapes. Going to test it out and see how it goes. If all goes well it will all get mounted on my SCAR and ran in a Low light/no light carbine class next month.

Thanks guys!

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I got my V5 head with High only programmed , and shocked how small and nice looking it is. Can't believe it took me so long to finally get one. Can't wait to try it out at night.

Works great on my E1B backup with 16340 battery.

However, I am having trouble programming this light. I could get it into program mode (on, off 3x and click on on 4th) but it doesn't seem to want to download anything from the Lux RC website. Is it because I am using my iPad? Thought other people were able to program it with the iPad?

mikesantor

Enlightened
Try going in a dark room (bathroom with lights off). It programs easier with low ambient light.

Also, I could not get either if my 2 x300 v5s to program off the video player that pops up. I had to download the code and play it back that way. It was very strange.

Maybe try these 2 things.

Got my EV5 in. Ooh my. Very, VERY nice.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I got my V5 head with High only programmed , and shocked how small and nice looking it is. Can't believe it took me so long to finally get one. Can't wait to try it out at night.

Works great on my E1B backup with 16340 battery.

However, I am having trouble programming this light. I could get it into program mode (on, off 3x and click on on 4th) but it doesn't seem to want to download anything from the Lux RC website. Is it because I am using my iPad? Thought other people were able to program it with the iPad?

You can program it easily via the web on iPad. However, Safari doesn't allow you to download videos or web files. You will need to use another browser or file Downloader to get it. Or you could do what I did...downloaded the video file on my PC and then synced with Dropbox. From Dropbox on my phone I downloaded the video files. Cheers! :)

Last edited:

mikesantor

Enlightened
You can program it easily via the web on iPad. However, Safari doesn't allow you to download videos or web files. You will need to use another browser or file Downloader to get it. Or you could do what I did...downloaded the video file on my PC and then synced with Dropbox. Cheers! :)

I actually have files downloaded to my phone so I can program in the field. Such flexible lights.

Stoneking

Enlightened
I'm running the Scout Head with 2x Primaries, so max lumens for me should be 1010.52.
It gets warm fairly quick... my understanding is that once it reaches 150F it will step down. I've tried lowering the temperature step down in advanced settings but it doesn't let me, probably because I'm on an iPhone.
Is 150F low enough to avoid fading or damage to the led? Or should I still be aware of the heat and step the light down on my own?
On max this thing must get hot instantly!

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody have pics of this on a MDC body? Seems like a good option to save $100 or so off the cost of a BOSS.