Veleno Designs E-Series Tower Dropin Review

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Hi There!
Right now I have a Malkoff M61 in a VME head on my E2D, and I love the light, but wish the end of it was more compact. How does the beam compare with the M61? If it is even close, I would love to put the original head back on and use one of these dropins instead (and put the M61 in a larger host.)
Thanks!

Knife Boy

Newly Enlightened
I am using a 3 mode neutral in my E1e, and it is fantastic. This light has been brought back to life thanks to this dropin. I always loved the small size of this light but the incandescent left much to be desired (especially in recent years with the high lumen LEDs). My E1e is now back in the EDC rotation. Thanks!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi There!
Right now I have a Malkoff M61 in a VME head on my E2D, and I love the light, but wish the end of it was more compact. How does the beam compare with the M61? If it is even close, I would love to put the original head back on and use one of these dropins instead (and put the M61 in a larger host.)
Thanks!

I would say the tower dropin makes the beam wider because of the shallow reflector. I don't have a M61 to compare, though.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I would say the tower dropin makes the beam wider because of the shallow reflector. I don't have a M61 to compare, though.

That makes sense, I guess the only way to know for sure is to order one. I generally use the M61 as a flood light anyway.

Thanks for your reply!

Burncycle

Newly Enlightened
Just received my single mode for the E2D, works great!

Just to confirm, heat wise it should be ok to run it on 2 primaries continuously correct? And it should be ~2 hours on a fresh set?

I'm excited, the beam looks way better than the stock bulb.

I wrapped some of the metal tape around the body because it wobbled but only a tiny amount... but when pushing it in, the fit was now so snug that a little bit of the tape slid down onto the threads the body screws into... it still screws in fine, so it shouldn't hurt anything right?

Thanks again for this great product lovecpf

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine yesterday as well - definitely a nice addition.

The machining was very smooth - I had no problems dropping into my SF E2O and looks to be a solid performer.

-Trevor

ETA: The M61 has a solid hot spot and good spill to either side. The light comes from the bezel in a tight triangle - a foot or two from a wall, you can see the hot spot and the spill in a tight circle, getting progressively larger as you step back.

The V-design also has a very tight hot spot, but a hell of a lot more spill. Almost a splash of light surrounding the hot spot, easily three or four times the size of spill surrounding the M61.

Last edited:

roberttheiii

Newly Enlightened
I am so very close to ordering one of these. Ah. It is killing me a little. My E1E was my first Surefire that and I carried it religiously for years. Looks like it might get a second chance.

mhanbury

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

What a great forum.

I had a Surefire E1E as a gift and after reading discussions in this forum upgraded it to the Lumens Factory E1R Extreme bulbs and RCR123 cells. What a difference!

Again based on reviews in this forum looking for a cheaper workhorse torch I went for the Solarforce L2 with the XP-G R5 dropin. Superb value for money and light output.

However now running the E1E even with the Lumens Factory bulg just does not compare to the Solarforce L2 with the Cree XP-G I'm looking for an LED upgrade.

What velenodesigns LED drop in would be best for the E1E with a single RCR123 cell and what sort of output and runtime can I expect?

Thanks

mhanbury

Newly Enlightened
Also whats the difference between the neutral and cool white. Are the both the same output with just a different tint? Recommendations for an E1E with a RCR123 cell?

Thanks

illuminate

Newly Enlightened
I want to upgrade my E1e, because the output is very weak.
But the main seller from Veleno Design meant, that the bulb is not compatible with the E1e.
He sells the bulb only for the E2e.

I'm very confused ... please help me!

midget

Enlightened
veleno designs e-series tower IS compatible with the E1E. i have one in mine right now.

but with the current ones being offered, you have to run it on an RCR123a. you can actually run it on a primary 123a but the output is lower than what the drop-in is capable of.

Roger999

Enlightened
Does anyone have a problem with mode saving if the light is only turned on for like 1 second? Eg with my E1E running on 1X AW RCR123, I put on with low for 1sec to look at something then turn it off, then press it on 10secs later it will be on high. But if I hold it on low for 3secs, turn it off, then turn it back on it stays on low.

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have a problem with mode saving if the light is only turned on for like 1 second? Eg with my E1E running on 1X AW RCR123, I put on with low for 1sec to look at something then turn it off, then press it on 10secs later it will be on high. But if I hold it on low for 3secs, turn it off, then turn it back on it stays on low.

I don't have a "problem" with it, as that is the way the driver is designed.

from the sales thread said:
New drivers:
2 x CR123 / 1 x li ion:
Three mode 1.0 amp: 2.8V - 6V, 65ma, 330ma, 1.0A. Two second memory.
Two mode 1.0 amp: 2.8 - 6v, 115ma, 1.0A. Two second memory.
Single mode 1.0 amp 2.8 - 6v

You need to keep it on for a minimum of two seconds to memorize the mode.

Last edited: