Video: Samsung phones are blowing up - Here's why.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone seen this youtube video? Amazing stuff! Funny thing is, after it ended, T-Mobile ad came on offering a free Samsung phone with sign-up. I cracked up laughing. Here's the video if you haven't seen it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've seen swollen batteries on Samsung, LG and Motorola phones. I also had a swollen battery on an old portable TV. We stored that one outside in a bucket of sand until we could get it to the nearest recycling place.

Lithium batteries are apparently made with the rare earth element Kaboomium. ;)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had an old Apple laptop at work that had been kept plugged in all the time (I believe). During the COVID episode, I was at the facility, using it the way it was designed (not leaving it plugged in constantly), charging this sleeping unit when the odd sound of breaking got attention. The battery was expanding in a most undesirable way. No fire or any run away thankfully.

Just wondering how that videographer was storing his peculiar hoard of cell phones in terms of state of charge. He did mention experts suggesting 50% but did not say that is what he did.

Reactions: TPA

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had an old Apple laptop at work that had been kept plugged in all the time (I believe). During the COVID episode, I was at the facility, using it the way it was designed (not leaving it plugged in constantly), charging this sleeping unit when the odd sound of breaking got attention. The battery was expanding in a most undesirable way. No fire or any run away thankfully.

Just wondering how that videographer was storing his peculiar hoard of cell phones in terms of state of charge. He did mention experts suggesting 50% but did not say that is what he did.
Regardless of state of charge, radio batteries (a reminder to some folks, cell phones are radios) should not swell like that, in storage or in use. If other companies do it right, then there is no excuse.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consumer misuse is real, as is flagrant dis-regard towards physics.

What's that saying? Use it or lose it? Doesn't anyone else see a dysfunctional obsession with cell phones in that video presented?

Not trying to say Samsung is innocent, but it takes two to tango sometimes.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast

What's that saying? Use it or lose it? Doesn't anyone else see a dysfunctional obsession with cell phones in that video presented?

:crackup:That there is funny, posted on a forum for flashaholics! :crackup:

Burgess

Flashaholic
This happened to ME, a couple years ago !
:-O

Was told that it was because I over-charged
my Samsung phone.

Therefore, with my NEXT Samsung phone
(my present one)
I am always *VERY* careful to remove it
from the wireless charger *RIGHT AWAY* ! ! !
< sigh >

:wtf:

Edited to add:
It is an actual *SAMSUNG* wireless charger
which I had (and still) used !

Just want to be clear . . . .

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This happened to ME, a couple years ago !
:-O

my Samsung phone.

Therefore, with my NEXT Samsung phone
(my present one)
I am always *VERY* careful to remove it
from the wireless charger *RIGHT AWAY* ! ! !
< sigh >

:wtf:
The manufacturer shouldn't be pushing the old "you're using it wrong" story line on the customers. Remember the iPhone's "You're holding it wrong" fiasco?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

We had several do the same, they were in a case with wireless charging, for several years, at least 3 popped the screens off, no explosions thou.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

I see a collection of that many of anything, I think here's a person whose life is run by their possessions.

nbp

Flashaholic
Looks like he does phone and tech reviews and discussions on his channel, so as it is basically his job to have loads of phones to test and compare, it really doesn't seem that odd.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
$100,000 worth of cell phones? Seriously doubt anyone has that much invested in flashlights. Companies give them to him or does he buy them?

Oh well, we live in an odd world. Such a kaleidoscope of pleasures should make for happy people, but dog-gone-it those unused Samsung phones are getting swolled up… or is it fodder for another money making YouTube video?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
$100,000 worth of cell phones? Seriously doubt anyone has that much invested in flashlights. Companies give them to him or does he buy them?

Oh well, we live in an odd world. Such a kaleidoscope of pleasures should make for happy people, but dog-gone-it those unused Samsung phones are getting swolled up… or is it fodder for another money making YouTube video?
"Do you think maybe he's compensating for something? A heh heh, heh heh."

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried getting something of a count watching and pausing the video. Maybe average cost $500? Seemed like he had about 200 phones but I could be mistaken. Some slots had two phones.

I thought there was a functioning used phone market out there, having that much money tied up for what purpose? The person walked so much while he talked yet he wasn't really going anywhere?

He did not talk about the charge level he keeps all those devices, but does mention experts suggest keeping them half charged, or something like that.

Can't help wondering if he calls the collection his phone harem. Some are bound to stray.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
my Samsung phone.

Now my curiosity's killing me.

Were / had you been using and operating the phone in accordance with the manufacturer-provided instructions / user guide / manual, and were then told you were / had been doing something incorrect / improper?