Heresy -- Flashlights are useless

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Main EDC light in my left pants pocket. [...] As for keys, a small, cheap aluminum carabiner attached to the key-ring and then clipped onto a belt-loop would prevent Lost Key Syndrome.
You just described my whole setup! I've also got my spare battery holder/secondary light in my right pocket, but the one I always reach for first is in the left pocket.
We all think the same way, apparently. I keep the torch on my non-dominant side and habit dictates it's what I reach for first. It's always confusing when I pat my left pocket and can't find my light because for some reason or another I put it on my right pocket.

And keys, bit thumbs up to using a carabiner on a belt loop. Not only is it more secure and easier to check if you fear you dropped your keys, they're always more convenient to reach for than having to dig in the pocket. Plus, the fabric used in pockets is thinner than most and easily torn up by pointy metal objects like keys, especially if the bitting is rough-hewn. Ask me how I know :ohgeez:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not call anyone a name. Don't make stuff up.
Post#7

Another insinuation that Monocrom is a Ukraine Nazi in this thread?

Yeah go ahead, further waste our time and deny, thing is since you have first started burping onto candlepowerforums, the place has gotten darker; more excluding of people who are different than you (and your ilk) and fearful of products from China, which has enhanced your quality of life by increasing your purchasing power and selection.

Sly deprecation used to insult others, even based on ignorance, is still an embarrassment for the more thoughtful members of candlepowerforums. How about you think more before trying to get us to march to your drum?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, no; there are no actual Nazis in the Ukraine. Considering they tried exterminating Ukrainians back during WWII just as hard as they tried exterminating Jews, Neo-Nazis would not be tolerated in the Ukraine. (To put it very mildly.) And, no Ukrainian would be one.

You've never heard of the 14th Waffen Galacian Division or Ukrainian Auxiliary Police of WW2?

Then there's the Organisation of Ukrainian Nationalists

Eugenics ideology sadly was common in America, Britain and Western Nations (including Australia) but due to the extreme pursuits of the WW2 German Scientists it was reviled by post WW2 Society... selective DNA and cloning techniques remained in the fringes of Science until more recent history.

Last edited:

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Calm the farm, lads and lassies, let's keep this civil eh? If you want to discuss Nazism, please open another thread, and keep this one to flashlight heresy associated points.
I've been on CPF long enough to get to know at least some of the regular's personalities fairly well. @Monocrom reminds me distinctly of an excellent friend of mine, who, while often negative and sometimes dark, is solid personality and a friend worth having.
We all have our dark side that needs a little light and work to improve, but those conversations need to be kept gentle, tasteful, and private.
Public accusations of personality problems reflect as poorly on the accuser as the accused, I'm afraid. Let's stick to sharing good things, and make each other better.

Now I, for one, love magnets, and use them extensively for all manner of tasks - holding tools, doors, and devices to name a few. That and the impact-prone nature of my work prevent me from getting into automatic watches. That might be a good thing though…
A few years back I woke up to the fact that the watch I had been wearing since age 12 needed adjusting every single day. It was a decent quality stainless steel body and strap, and I'd replaced the face, crystal, crown, seals, knob and strap more times than I could count. The movement (quartz) was both very prone to magnetisation, and had thoroughly exceeded its design life.

So I started looking for a replacement…. What A Task! I had no idea of the existence of the "Watch World", and had a lot of fun looking and learning. I hate digital displays, which ruled out the G-Shock, and couldn't afford a Milgauss, and despised the bulk of most "rugged" watches. In the end I bought a Bertucci A-4T Super Yankee, which, with titanium case, sapphire crystal, tritium face markers, 200m submergibility, and a reputation for toughness, ticks all the boxes for me. And it was very affordable too.
So far it has served me excellently, and proved very resistant to the (relatively) strong magnetic fields I rudely subject it to on a regular basis.

The only downside is that I now no longer have to use my torch to charge up the phosphorescence…

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've never heard of the 14th Waffen Galacian Division or Ukrainian Auxiliary Police of WW2?

Then there's the Organisation of Ukrainian Nationalists

Eugenics ideology sadly was common in America, Britain and Western Nations (including Australia) but due to the extreme pursuits of the WW2 German Scientists it was reviled by post WW2 Society... selective DNA and cloning techniques remained in the fringes of Science until more recent history.
Nazis are someone who believes they are superior, and others have no right to exist and need to be eradicated, that is what Russia is doing.
Nationalists are those who believes they have a right to exist as a nation. which is what Ukraine is doing, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that it is a right things to do.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
i bet all us cpf folks care for each others. im sorry for all the days i was unkind. live and learn live and learn
Thing is, raggie; you made CPF a fun and fascinating place to visit. No one knew what topic you'd come up with next. But it was guaranteed to be interesting. And, usually fun. Even now that you're back. Seriously, don't ever let anyone convince you into not being open and honest here on CPF. I was there when you made your topics and your comments to other. You never personally insulted anyone. You never engaged in childish name-calling. But others did. If they don't like you, that's their problem to deal with. I hope you stick around, and keep making those fascinating and fun topics of yours.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nazis are someone who believes they are superior, and others have no right to exist and need to be eradicated, that is what Russia is doing.
Nationalists are those who believes they have a right to exist as a nation. which is what Ukraine is doing, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that it is a right things to do.
Thank you! You put it, perfectly.

Now if you'll excuse me, according to some members, I need to go practice my goose-stepping. 🦿

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Calm the farm, lads and lassies, let's keep this civil eh? If you want to discuss Nazism, please open another thread, and keep this one to flashlight heresy associated points.
I've been on CPF long enough to get to know at least some of the regular's personalities fairly well. @Monocrom reminds me distinctly of an excellent friend of mine, who, while often negative and sometimes dark, is solid personality and a friend worth having.
Thanks Fuzzy, you're a good person. I know I'm far from perfect, and I work at improving myself. Some days are better than others.
....In the end I bought a Bertucci A-4T Super Yankee, which, with titanium case, sapphire crystal, tritium face markers, 200m submergibility, and a reputation for toughness, ticks all the boxes for me. And it was very affordable too.
Excellent choice. Just over a decade ago, I dived into the watch world myself. Thankfully only later on did I dive into the insanity of the upper Luxury watch segment. Thankfully got out of there mostly unscathed. Surreal experience hearing guys talk about individual watch models worth as much as a small house as being, "A bargain."

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

For those that skimmed my comment & ignored the linked information... the Organisation of Nationalist Ukrainians (OUA) proclaimed, anti-Semitism, anti-Russian, anti-Romanian, anti-Hungarian & anti-Polish ideology and made up much of the ranks of collaborators who participated in the Nazi Holocaust activities, the OUA still exists and have since WW2 downplayed their activities during that period, how much of the formative ideology remains is uncertain.

Nationalism - a love of Country is admirable
Nazi ideology - is disgustingly repugnant
Nazism cloaked by Nationalism - is equally disgusting and repugnant

Now if you'll excuse me, according to some members, I need to go practice my goose-stepping. 🦿
Would that be in the style of comedic legend John Cleese? :crackup:

I know I'm far from perfect, and I work at improving myself. Some days are better than others.

Seriously mate, who is a perfect person? We are all works in progress after all :)

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next time might as well post kremlin articles, LOL. same credibility as NBC. also might want to look up who wrote it, a writer for pretty much all US ultra left propaganda sources. That does not really work in favor of your own credibility.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, this is where it gets interesting, not only it is a fallacy, but a mind control propaganda trick,

The cloaking is done by people who want to discredit, nationalist ideas, and convince people who have no real knowledge of the subject to approve their attempts to destroy nationalists.
The article you posted uses Azov regiment as an example of Ukraine nazis, yet about half of Azov fighters are Russian speaking, supposably those people who Russia is defending, However none of those fighters felt the need to be defended from Ukraine, what is more interesting, as soon as Russia "liberates" Russians speaking population, they rob, loot, and send all males into meatgrinder, and treat them as subhuman compared to Russians troops, no one even counts their looses. they are send to demine fields, and take fire so Russians can identify Ukranian positions, what a liberation, and defense of Russians speaking population. but you wont know it if you get your info from ultra left sources.
So who exactly cloaking what??

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking about this thread - and I believe I have a sound answer for @TPA 's original question.

Paraphrasing the question: "Is the generic flashlight now essentially superseded by the manifold options now available, of more dedicated light sources?"

And my answer: No. The versatility of the generic flashlight is its core strength, and has only gotten better alongside the emergence of dedicated lights. Their sheer multipurpose adaptability IS the point, and as such they will never truly be made redundant.

An example: Just the other night I had to replace a critical solenoid valve on a custom-built truck (semi or lorry for some) and to do so I had to crawl up inside the chassis into a very tight space. I took Foursevens' tiny Mini Turbo MKIII and its magnetic flex mount, and a super floody Zebralight headlamp. It was a darn tricky job, and given the close quarters, I can't think of many other "non-flashlight" light sources that would have both fit in there, and been suitable for the task.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next time might as well post kremlin articles, LOL. same credibility as NBC. also might want to look up who wrote it, a writer for pretty much all US ultra left propaganda sources. That does not really work in favor of your own credibility.

Credibility? I present ideas and source information and you get personal? Why? Ad Hominem?

Sadly Nazi ideology exists around the world thankfully only in fringes of Society but to deny it's existence is either ignorant or cognitive dissonance, the Ukrainan Nationalists collaborated with the Germans immediately after Operation Barbarossa (details previously supplied) being a major factor in the heinous Holocaust activities.

Germany went through a process of de-nazification after the war did the Ukraine with former Nationalists remaining or returning later? The OUN remains to this day and is now a Political Party doing their utmost to distance themselves from their actions during WW2.

WW2 OUN leaders like Stepan Bandera & Andriy Melnyk are still revered by Ukrainians

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now, this is where it gets interesting, not only it is a fallacy, but a mind control propaganda trick,

The cloaking is done by people who want to discredit, nationalist ideas, and convince people who have no real knowledge of the subject to approve their attempts to destroy nationalists.