humans are stupid

raggie33

*the raggedier*
trying to sell my home man o man humans can be moronic lol...me the biggest issue for hiring a sale agent when im doing all the work ..

3_gun

Enlightened
For me it's how average has become more dumb. My grandads 4th grade education in 1920 was worlds better than my nephews 2009 high school diploma.

Grandad fought a war, raised a family & ran a home improvement/repair business. My nephew can't balance a checkbook, read or write cursive or spell w/o spell check. (truth is spelling isn't my best skill but I know how to use a dictionary)

Hell most/many collage graduates can barely make a good cup of Starbucks coffee .. LOL

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want kids to get a decent edu-ma-cation (sic) you have to either send them to a private school or home school them. My son and his wife are both high school teachers, and they are planning on home schooling their kids. I could go on, but I don't want to say anything on here that would offend any member or get me banned.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember, half of the population is dumber than average.
Some of them, it is not their fault--they were born stupid. Too many pregnant women smoking, drinking, taking drugs, not getting proper nutrition--it all has consequences. Now others, it can be self-inflicted, but you have to question their intelligence for actions that reduce their brain cells on purpose. Of course, we are finding out now about the problems associated with high impact sports, like boxing, football (American, not soccer), etc. Traumatic brain injuries and concussions are serious injuries, and not intentional, but can be the result of bad choices and bad fortune.

I guess what I'm saying is, yeah, "you can't fix stupid", but perhaps a little understanding and compassion is in order for the stupid people. And if you don't feel compassion for them, bear in mind that evolution has a way of weeding out the lesser fit. ️☠️

idleprocess

Flashaholic
My grandads 4th grade education in 1920 was worlds better than my nephews 2009 high school diploma.
Grandad also lived in an era where considerably less was recorded for posterity than today and had a few decades to perfect his story.

My nephew can't balance a checkbook, read or write cursive or spell w/o spell check.
This TV typewriter fad is rather persistent so the middle isn't as pressing as it once was.

Chainsaw

Newly Enlightened
For me it's how average has become more dumb. My grandads 4th grade education in 1920 was worlds better than my nephews 2009 high school diploma.

Grandad fought a war, raised a family & ran a home improvement/repair business. My nephew can't balance a checkbook, read or write cursive or spell w/o spell check. (truth is spelling isn't my best skill but I know how to use a dictionary)

Hell most/many collage graduates can barely make a good cup of Starbucks coffee .. LOL
See; the movie idiocracy. The only movie to start out as a comedy, and end up being a documentary. :)

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grandad also lived in an era where considerably less was recorded for posterity than today and had a few decades to perfect his story.

This TV typewriter fad is rather persistent so the middle isn't as pressing as it once was.
While they were put into type, my nation's founding documents were hand written in cursive. I think the ability to read original documents is of vital importance to my nation, anyway. Soon we will have a nation of citizens that can't even read Grandpa and Grandma's letters and correspondence from other relatives. That would be tragic, IMHO.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Oh, haven't you heard? Computers are ushering in a paperless world, nothing will be printed or written, so no need to manually sign paperwork. :ROFLMAO::poop:
As long as I can cryptographically prove that my digital 'signature' came from me and not some 13 year old hacker in a third world country, sure, why not? :LOL:

3_gun

Enlightened
To clarify my Grandad with a 4th grade education RAN a business doing home improvement & repairs. Paid employees, made quotes for work involving sq.ft, cu.ft, board feet needed, work hours, tool costs, followed building codes, etc. Could read & write plus follow plans for doing the work needed. Often he did the work himself. Plus he could make coffee. Of course he did this in an era with much less .gov interference/regulation. He passed in 73. I doubt he'd be happy to see the world we have today

idleprocess

Flashaholic
While they were put into type, my nation's founding documents were hand written in cursive. I think the ability to read original documents is of vital importance to my nation, anyway.
It is really something to see the originals at the National Archives - or a quality reproduction. But I must confess that the Smithsonian - particularly the Air & Space museum - made a greater impression on me during the one family trip to DC in the 80s.

Soon we will have a nation of citizens that can't even read Grandpa and Grandma's letters and correspondence from other relatives. That would be tragic, IMHO.
For everything gained there's something lost. Suspect email replaced letters for a significant percentage of the populace 20+ years ago.

Some schools aren't even teaching cursive writing any more. How will students learn to sign their name on documents?
The number of documents actually signed has dropped precipitously. Scribbles on touchscreens are almost ubiquitous for automobile paperwork - presumably the mortgage industry will soon follow. Lesser digital documents have largely gone with "digital signatures" or simply involve typing your name in a field.

And end of the day a physical "signature" is a mark that's consistent - textbook-perfect cursive, stylized cursive, block lettering, a glyph, a consistent doodle, whatever.

As long as I can cryptographically prove that my digital 'signature' came from me and not some 13 year old hacker in a third world country, sure, why not? :LOL:
A whole lot less effort to forge a physical signature. And some 13YO 'hacker' is probably more interested in scamming some ... artistic photos - or more likely videoconferencing ... than anything so traceable that takes a signature.

To clarify my Grandad with a 4th grade education RAN a business doing home improvement & repairs.
I don't doubt it. Capable people generally experience success regardless of their formal education. There's a good argument to be said that education is at least as much a trailing indicator as it is a leading one; I have a graduate degree and work with similarly-capable people that largely don't have bachelor's degrees.

The point I was making is largely that your nephew's life is not only recent history but also almost certainly profoundly well-documented by compare.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the 1970's the school I attended did not make us write in cursive after 4th grade. Most kids were in the habit and kept doing it though.
No offense, but I wonder if they stopped making them write in cursive, because the rigor with which it was taught was insufficient to make the students proficient enough with it that the teachers could understand their homework assignments. How many times have you seen cursive writing that you had to study for awhile to decypher? I had aunts whose cursive was a thing of beauty, it was PERFECT! Back in the day they actually taught penmanship in schools, and kids practiced until they could make their letters look like what was in the textbook.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I came from nothing with learning disabilities to nothing who is old with learning disabilities