Violet-emitting laser pointers now commercial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
You could probably build one for less than $100.

I am not saying buy from this seller, but they have both modules, 5mW each Red and green and it says it "ships" from the US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5mW-532nm-Green...in_0?hash=item25551699d1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/5mW-Red-Laser-M...in_0?hash=item2301a1fd7e&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

A dichro to mix the two with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Laser-diode-dic...in_0?hash=item25567e9454&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I would contact that seller; if it is who I think, they have a shop in Tampa and have a fairly good rep. One of the owners came to one of our Laser Enthusiasts Meets here in Florida.

And then all you need is a housing and another mirror or two. With the optic losses you should be right around 5mW or a bit less of yellow. It isn't 594nm, but the parts above total just over $50... and is much brighter than 405nm. I am not good with the DIY stuff or I would offer to build one for you.
icon11.gif
I'd kinda like one myself.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
No chance I can do that. I am all left hands and thumbs :D
But thanx for helping! :)

I'll stick with the greenies now and I think we'll steer this thread back on topic.

bernie

proud2deviate

Newly Enlightened
I got the <5mW from ThinkGeek, and it is not a very good unit. First, it feels flimsy. Then, the beam is not that well focussed, it has a halo of some sort and a rather bif speckled spot. Also, it is not bright. dimmer than a standard red.

Well, not worth it to me. Cool color, but useless pointer for presentations.

bernie

It's an illusion. A lot of people have trouble focusing on 405nm lasers.

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened
So, has anyone received their laser from DX yet? I'd order one but the FDA warning clause makes me think I wouldn't receive one if it was over 5mw....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I checked the tracking just several hours ago; the website indicates that it left Hong Kong only yesterday (10-07-09) - I ordered it on 09-16-09.
So I figure that I ought to receive it sometime this coming week (10-12-09 to 10-17-09) anyway.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like mr. dx needs to hire a helper :crackup:

seriously, though, shipping is getting slower. Usually takes 2.5 weeks from day I order to get to Tennessee.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My violet laser from DX just arrived. :)

Power output measures 9.610mW on a laser power meter, so I need to call it a "module" on my website, not a "pointer".

bluray70.gif

Spectrographic analysis.

bluray71.gif

Same as above; spectrometer's response band narrowed to a range of 395nm to 415nm to pinpoint wavelength.
Wavelength (peak value) appears to be ~404.550nm, which is well within specification for this laser diode. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.