VoIP Box Review & Setup Guide (SPA-2102)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did the **** thing, typed in my password using the letters to numbers translation on the keypad. It worked. I enabled WAN access. But I still can't log in as admin. Only as user.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Good stuff JS, we keep finding new commands! Try this:

723646# [plus password# if set], then press 1# (enable admin access)

more importantly,

. . . the sound quality is now . . .

EXCELLENT!

:clap:

It could be the firmware upgrade, or it could be that I set DMTF to "AVT" and strict holdoff and a value of 70, just as the firmware notes suggested (if using AVT, anyway).

Is there a problem with using "AVT" mode as opposed to "Auto"?

Here's what the manual has to say:

DTMF Tx Method Select the method to transmit DTMF signals to the far end:
InBand, AVT, INFO, Auto, InBand+INFO, or AVT+INFO.
InBand sends DTMF using the audio path. AVT sends DTMF
as AVT events. INFO uses the SIP INFO method. Auto uses
InBand or AVT based on the outcome of codec negotiation.
The default is Auto.

Basically, Auto is more versatile. Change it back and forth and see if you can hear a difference.

It's funny, in my phone bill for this month I got a notification of rate increases. HAH! Not for me, you *******s!

Good feeling

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectronGuru,

On the same page that you type in a user and admin password, there is an option that says something about "enable web access".

That's what I turned off.

And I can not effing unlock it.

And I'm worried that it won't unlock even when I do a factory reset. I'm worried I did what a provider does when they want to provide a unit to their customers that is locked to their provider settings.

Can you take a look at that page and see what you think? (but do not do what I did--do not disable that setting).

Should I call Linksys customer service? I wouldn't mind doing a hard reset and going through all the setup again, but I WOULD certainly mind doing a hard reset and bricking my 2102. If you google SPA2102 and "unable login admin" you'll read some horror stories.

Should I worry? Or what do you think?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff JS, we keep finding new commands! Try this:

723646# [plus password# if set], then press 1# (enable admin access)

OMG!

YES! YES! IT WORKED! Oh, thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :bow: :bow: :bow:

You don't know how much of a relief this is! Excellent! Really great!

You are THE MAN, ElectronGuru!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
BTW, when you're away from home, you can configure your Call Centric account to forward calls to your cell or put SIP software on your MacBook and send/receive VoIP from any hotspot.

I've not tried it, but this SIP software is free (mac only)
http://code.google.com/p/telephone/

cjames

Newly Enlightened
For the record, this is my configuration:

CABLE

- cable modem

WAN

- Apple Time Capsule (video server, nat/dhcp on)

LAN

- 2102 (nat/dhcp off)

Hi there,

Glad to hear that js got things going well.

I'm trying to set things up exactly how ElectronGuru has above. I got the SPA-2102 in the mail this morning and haven't had a chance to play yet, but the instructions i have from my ISP tell me to plug the SPA-2102 directly into my ADSL modem (and fill in the PPPoE fields etc).

I was wondering what settings I should fill in to have it setup as you do above. As things are now I have:

ADSL Modem (192.168.0.1)

(connected to)

Apple Time Capsule (nat/dhcp on; serves 10.0.0.x addresses to two laptops)

I assume I plug an ethernet cable into the lan port of the timecapsule and in to the wan port of the spa-2102. I assume that I don't have to worry about the PPPoE settings on the spa-2102 and that I'll need to set wan to DHCP and make sure that the DHCP server on the spa-2102 is disabled.

Are there any other settings i shoudl know about? Do I need to worry about setting QoS on my router or forwarding ports on the router and/or timcapsule?

Anyway I'll have a play tonight or tomorrow but finding someone knowledgeabkle who has the same setup is great. Any hints would be much appreciated!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectronGuru,

On the callcentric website, is there any way for me to see how much they billed me for each call, or for a given time period? I can see how much my balance has gone down, then subtract off the fixed incoming line service charge, and get the amount I spent, but it'd be nice to see the charge for each call, or for each day, etc.

On another note, forget porting a local number. It doesn't only cost $25. It also costs however long it takes for the port to complete, as you need to keep your old number active and in service until the port is complete, and all this info has to be exactly right, and you have to sign forms and scan them and upload them to your account, as well as a copy of your bill showing your full address (which gets torn off and is gone once you've mailed in your payment).

So, I was like, screw this. Too big a hassle just to keep the same number. I'll just call and cancel my old number and service outright.

Oh, and I think changing those port gains from -3 to -5 made a definite improvement. So far it has completely eliminated echo and the sound is improved. No clipping at all. Although, 95 percent of that went away with the firmware upgrade. I also think that DMTF (or whatever that is) is better set at Auto than AVT. As you suggested in the guide, of course.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Dude, you're like done! Though if you can have another problem, we can find even more useful **** codes :poke:

To view call history, log into your account and at the end of the second menu row, click Reports. Then set your date range (or click one of the preset ranges) and other filter options before clicking View Report. If you leave Call Direction on All, pay particular attention to the Destination column of the report. Monthly presents are also available, but hard to find but you can also do it manually (YEARMO):

And at the bottom are the happy totals:
589 min $4.3582 $0.0000 $4.3582

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, ElectronGuru!

On another note, my brother got interested in doing this as well, and he did that VoIP test (not the speakeasy one, but the more comprehensive one) and these were his results:

QoS was 1 percent (!)
jitter was 1635.1 mS
packet loss was 16.9 percent.

Supposedly his download speed is 11000 or so kbps, as measured using speakeasy, but his download speed was 1.65 mbps using the VoIP measure, and his upload was 305 kbps.

I could NOT frigging believe how bad these numbers were. This can't be right. Either his router is hosed, or he has a bad cable, or his cable modem (because he has high speed cable internet) is hosed, or his ISP is way off their game.

Am I right in being simply flabbergasted by these numbers? I mean, a 17 percent packet loss? That's outrageous! And a 1.6 second jitter? WTF?

Right?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and one other question. If your connection is assymmetrical, like 2 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload, which figure would you use for the QoS 80 percent? I presume you would use 80 percent of the download speed, as very little uploading is normally taken up by most users. However, on the other hand, the field into which you put that number is lableled "Maxiumum uplink speed".

What is the deal?

*edit*

I just reread the first post in this thread, and it does specifically mention "upload" total as the figure for calculating the 80 percent QoS number. I'll just go with that. (I just increased my connection from 1 mbps / 1 mbps to 2 / 1. For only an extra $10 per month. I figured that with all the money I am saving from not paying $65-$70 / month on the phone bill, I can well afford it.)

Last edited:

cjames

Newly Enlightened
I've now got my (SPA-2102)set up in the same way as ElectronGuru does.

(adsl modem > timecapsule > spa-2102)

As I mentioned above timecapsule has nat/dhcp on; serves 10.0.x.x addresses to two laptops. I simply plugged a spare LAN port on the timecapsule into the WAN port on the SPA-2102. Turned it on and everything worked!

I'm happy that everything went so smoothly but still a bit curious. According to the phone *codes the SPA-2102 has an ip address of 10.0.1.3 (or 10.0.0.3? can't quite remember at the moment...) but I can't access the web-based setup page if I put this address into my browser.

ElectronGuru I'm still interested to know if you have any QoS settings enabled on your modem/timecapsule for the SAP-2102, if you can access the web-based SPA-2102 page the way you have things setup and if you have any other hints for using it with a timecapsule.

Any comments appreciated!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Not sure how I missed your first post, but :welcome:

I'm curious how you found the thread (this guide), was it some kind of Google search?

The biggest criteria for deciding which goes first, your exiting router or the 2102, is whether you need QoS and if so, whether your existing router has the option. QoS is the one key feature Apple routers don't have, so the next question is, how fast is your connection? If its fast enough not to need QoS, then leave the Time Capsule first in line. Whatever the rate, there's no harm is just trying the 2102 second as you've done, and going on your mary way.

I was wondering what settings I should fill in to have it setup as you do above. As things are now I have:
I assume I plug an ethernet cable into the lan port of the timecapsule and in to the wan port of the spa-2102. I assume that I don't have to worry about the PPPoE settings on the spa-2102 and that I'll need to set wan to DHCP and make sure that the DHCP server on the spa-2102 is disabled.

Almost right. The trick here is that home networks typically have 1 router (used to have 0) and this essentially creates 2. If the TC is dispensing DHCP, then the 2102 is receiving its WAN side IP from the TC. In this configuration, the 2102's own DHCP server is only active on its LAN port, to which nothing is probably connected. So off or on, its not doing anything, so turning it off is only something you'd have to reverse if it ever changed it to first in line.

Are there any other settings i shoudl know about? Do I need to worry about setting QoS on my router or forwarding ports on the router and/or timcapsule?

In the simpler downstream configuration, the QoS isn't being used (and has no effect), and neither do any of the forwarding options need to be configured. Any forwarding in place on the TC should continue to function as before. The advantage here of the 2102 is not that you need QoS but that you may in the future and would already have it when needed.

As I mentioned above timecapsule has nat/dhcp on; serves 10.0.x.x addresses to two laptops. I simply plugged a spare LAN port on the timecapsule into the WAN port on the SPA-2102. Turned it on and everything worked!

Nice!

I'm happy that everything went so smoothly but still a bit curious. According to the phone *codes the SPA-2102 has an ip address of 10.0.1.3 (or 10.0.0.3? can't quite remember at the moment...) but I can't access the web-based setup page if I put this address into my browser.

This is the double router situation playing tricks again. The default config assumes the 2102 is directly on the internet. To protect itself, this config prevents access to the setup page via the WAN port (the otherwise correct way its currently hooked up). What you need to do is turn off this security option. Fire up this phone code:

7932# [plus password# if set], then press 1# (enable access via WAN port)​

..enabling WAN side access (telling the box that both sides of the router are on a trusted network) and you should be able to get in.

Does that help?

More soon JS, tonight Lego's took priority:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235256

:sleepy:

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
he did that VoIP test (not the speakeasy one, but the more comprehensive one) and these were his results:

QoS was 1 percent (!)
jitter was 1635.1 mS
packet loss was 16.9 percent.

Supposedly his download speed is 11000 or so kbps, as measured using speakeasy, but his download speed was 1.65 mbps using the VoIP measure, and his upload was 305 kbps.

Here are my numbers from the same tests:

speakeasy

voip review
Download speed 5005 Kbps (socket test)
Upload speed 4084 Kbps (socket test)
Quality of service 88 %
Maximum delay 112 ms
Round trip time 131 ms
Upstream jitter 0.9 ms
Upstream packet loss 0 %
Upstream packet order 100 %
Upstream discards 0 %

My SpeakEasy is also faster. A specilized test like this doesn't need to go past a few thousand K and the voip review guys probably didn't build it to do so. After getting the first page of results, have him click the DETAILED button to get the extra numbers and graphs. His numbers are bad and probably generated some non green dots on the page 1 report. Here's my jitter graph from page two:

262shu0.gif

I could NOT frigging believe how bad these numbers were. This can't be right. Either his router is hosed, or he has a bad cable, or his cable modem (because he has high speed cable internet) is hosed, or his ISP is way off their game.

Am I right in being simply flabbergasted by these numbers? I mean, a 17 percent packet loss? That's outrageous! And a 1.6 second jitter? WTF?

WFT indeed. As you suggest, there are a variety of variables here. Lets start with the two largest, the stuff he can't control (ISP, neighborhood, outside wiring) and the stuff he can:

1. How old is his cable box?
  2. When was the last time all the network hardware was power cycled?
  3. How long is the cable connecting the box to the wall?
  4. How old is that cable?
  5. How thick is that cable?
  6. Is the cable modem the only device connected to that jack?
  7. Are there any other devices connected to any other cable jacks in the house?
  8. How many and which devices are in between the cable modem and the testing computer?
  9. How old is the testing computer
  10. How old is the java software on the testing computer?

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
EG,

I'll ask him these questions.

On another note, it seems to me that your guide should also say to set QoS Dsq to "TBF" = total bucket filter, right? Tom's Hardware reviewed the SPA2000, with an earlier firmware version, and he found significant improvement with TBF enabled.

Also, why should the second preferred codex be 729a, and not, say 726-40? I'm trying this out, with the third codex being 726-20. 711u is 64kbs encoding, high quality, and 726 is high quality as well but doesn't put as much bandwidth strain on things, depending on the kbps rate you chose. 729a is certainly easy on bandwidth, but it outright sucks at sound quality.

Also, what is your DTMF holdoff method? "strict"? And what is your strict holdoff time?

cjames

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply and help!

I'm curious how you found the thread (this guide), was it some kind of Google search?

Yes exactly this! I searched for SPA-2102 and timecapsule figuring someone out there had done it before.

What you need to do is turn off this security option. Fire up this phone code:

7932# [plus password# if set], then press 1# (enable access via WAN port)​

..enabling WAN side access (telling the box that both sides of the router are on a trusted network) and you should be able to get in.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately my isp seems to have set a password. I spent about 15min on hold tonight trying to get through to their helpline before giving up. None of the default codes I googled seemed to work.

I'll try again later I guess.

More soon JS, tonight Lego's took priority:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235256

Nice depth of field on that "dramatic" shot!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectronGuru,

I don't think that your recommendation for how to set the QoS maximum uplink kbps number is correct. According to this qos tutorial the number should be set at 90 to 95 percent of your lowest uplink speed. Now, this is the case if that figure, that setting, is used by QoS to properly fill the pipeline with packets. It needs to know how much bandwidth it has to fill in order to properly shape the upstream traffic. Some routers automatically and dynamically figure this out, but it seems that reports are that they don't do this well, and setting it manually to 95 percent of your lowest uplink speed is best.

On the other hand, if that figure in the 2102 is only limiting the input from the ethernet port to the internet port, and leaving all the rest of the bandwidth free for the VoIP to use, then 80 percent is the number to use--or rather you'd really want to figure out how much kbps you need for your particular codex, I would think, and subtract that amount, plus a margin, from your uplink speed.

But, my experience thus far makes me suspect that lowering the QoS uplink speed does not free up more uplink bandwidth for the 2102 to use. It didn't help at all, in fact.

Second, I also suspect that unless you chose QoS QDisc = "TBF" (instead of "NONE"), you simply won't have QoS working for you. It has to have some method to shape the upstream packets, and "NONE" is, as it says, no method at all = no shaping at all. But, I'm just guessing on this, and am still in the process of testing it out in real world use.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I just remembered something: when I lowered the uplink number, and tested during a phone call, the uplink speed my computer saw was approximately that uplink parameter minus a 200 or so kbps. So, I more than suspect that this paramter is TOTAL LAN to WAN throughput, including the 2102 VoIP throughput. So, you want it set to the lowest uplink speed you are likely to see, minus 5 percent or so as a safety margin.

Next, DTMF is "Dual Tone Multi Frequency" (or something like that), better known as "Touch Tone" (as opposed to Pulse--i.e. old rotary phones). So, it is all about getting the numbers you press on your keypad to do what you want them to do. AVT (also known as RFC2833) is an out-of-band method. IN-BAND, is, of course, an inband method. This would only work with codex 711u, as 729 doesn't have enough fidelity to transmit these tones well. Callcentric suggests setting the DTMF Tx method to "Auto", although I have had no issues with it set to AVT, either. I currently have mine on Auto. However, if you do have auto set, make sure to have a "yes" for AVT and in-band process settings. (I think those are the ones--those are the defaults, in any case). AVT is preferred overseas, if I'm remembering my recent reading correctly.

In any case, I'm not sure how these settings relate to voice sound quality. I'm sure a beep or two could get generated in the middle of a call, maybe, but other than that, I'm still researching this issue.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this and thought it was worth posting:

DTMF Tx Mode

DTMF Detection Tx Mode is available for SIP information and AVT . Options are: Strict or Normal. The default is Strict for which the following are true:
•A DTMF digit requires an extra hold time after detection.
•The DTMF level threshold is raised to -20 dBm.
•The minimum and maximum duration thresholds are:
• strict mode for AVT: 70 ms
• normal mode for AVT: 40 ms
• strict mode for SIP info: 90 ms
• normal mode for SIP info: 50 ms

The ATA Admin Guide also mentions another feature which I don't find on my SPA3102:

DTMF Tx Strict Hold Off Time:
This parameter is in effect only when "DTMF Tx Mode" is set to "strict," and when"DTMF Tx Method" is set to out-of-band; i.e. either AVT or SIP-INFO. If a user inadvertently sets the value to less than the default value, the system checks and reverts to the default value. There is no max limit on what the user can set of this parameter. A larger value will reduce the chance of talk-off (beeping) during conversation, at the expense of reduced performance of dtmf detection, which is needed for interactive voice response systems (IVR).
Default is 90ms.

Main point is that if you set mode to strict, make sure the strict hold off time isn't below the minimum listed for the DTMF Tx Method you might use. If you have Auto set, chose the greater of AVT or SIP.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Outstanding JS, you are officially going past where I've been. I'll follow and update the OP as needed.

Also, why should the second preferred codex be 729a, and not, say 726-40? I'm trying this out, with the third codex being 726-20. 711u is 64kbs encoding, high quality, and 726 is high quality as well but doesn't put as much bandwidth strain on things, depending on the kbps rate you chose. 729a is certainly easy on bandwidth, but it outright sucks at sound quality.

Everything I've read focused exclusively on codecs ending in letters and most describe 729a as the best sounding but the most bandwidth intensive. My tests showed this as well. Let us know what you find out. Keep in mind, if Call Centric doesn't support a codec, it will be a short test.

On another note, it seems to me that your guide should also say to set QoS Dsq to "TBF" = total bucket filter, right? Tom's Hardware reviewed the SPA2000, with an earlier firmware version, and he found significant improvement with TBF enabled.

Second, I also suspect that unless you chose QoS QDisc = "TBF" (instead of "NONE"), you simply won't have QoS working for you. It has to have some method to shape the upstream packets, and "NONE" is, as it says, no method at all = no shaping at all. But, I'm just guessing on this, and am still in the process of testing it out in real world use.

I've not had 'little enough bandwidth' to know for sure. I think you're right, and have updated the OP.

I don't think that your recommendation for how to set the QoS maximum uplink kbps number is correct. According to this qos tutorial the number should be set at 90 to 95 percent of your lowest uplink speed. Now, this is the case if that figure, that setting, is used by QoS to properly fill the pipeline with packets. It needs to know how much bandwidth it has to fill in order to properly shape the upstream traffic. Some routers automatically and dynamically figure this out, but it seems that reports are that they don't do this well, and setting it manually to 95 percent of your lowest uplink speed is best.

On the other hand, if that figure in the 2102 is only limiting the input from the ethernet port to the internet port, and leaving all the rest of the bandwidth free for the VoIP to use, then 80 percent is the number to use--or rather you'd really want to figure out how much kbps you need for your particular codex, I would think, and subtract that amount, plus a margin, from your uplink speed.

But, my experience thus far makes me suspect that lowering the QoS uplink speed does not free up more uplink bandwidth for the 2102 to use. It didn't help at all, in fact.

when I lowered the uplink number, and tested during a phone call, the uplink speed my computer saw was approximately that uplink parameter minus a 200 or so kbps. So, I more than suspect that this paramter is TOTAL LAN to WAN throughput, including the 2102 VoIP throughput. So, you want it set to the lowest uplink speed you are likely to see, minus 5 percent or so as a safety margin.

There is contradictory information on the "true meaning" of Maximum Uplink Speed. My best understanding is that is tells the 2102 the total possible upload of both voice and data that is available. I don't see why they wouldn't design it to exceed this number, so think of it as Expected Total Upload Speed.

Also, what is your DTMF holdoff method? "strict"? And what is your strict holdoff time?

Next, DTMF is "Dual Tone Multi Frequency" (or something like that), better known as "Touch Tone" (as opposed to Pulse--i.e. old rotary phones). So, it is all about getting the numbers you press on your keypad to do what you want them to do. AVT (also known as RFC2833) is an out-of-band method. IN-BAND, is, of course, an inband method. This would only work with codex 711u, as 729 doesn't have enough fidelity to transmit these tones well. Callcentric suggests setting the DTMF Tx method to "Auto", although I have had no issues with it set to AVT, either. I currently have mine on Auto. However, if you do have auto set, make sure to have a "yes" for AVT and in-band process settings. (I think those are the ones--those are the defaults, in any case). AVT is preferred overseas, if I'm remembering my recent reading correctly.

In any case, I'm not sure how these settings relate to voice sound quality. I'm sure a beep or two could get generated in the middle of a call, maybe, but other than that, I'm still researching this issue.I found this and thought it was worth posting:

Main point is that if you set mode to strict, make sure the strict hold off time isn't below the minimum listed for the DTMF Tx Method you might use. If you have Auto set, chose the greater of AVT or SIP.

I messed with DTMF Tx Method trying to get my faxing to work when suddenly automated phone menu systems couldn't hear by number beeps. Along a similar line, there are settings in the ring section that incorrect can block an answering machines ability to count rings. I agree, this has nothing to do with sound quality.

Last edited: