VoIP Box Review & Setup Guide (SPA-2102)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Googling "spa 2102 review" brings this thread up in 4th place, a high ranking. Best if we can clear this up.

If you wanna send it to me, I'll put my config in your box and swap it out for mine. This should tell us what's up.

Cool! OK. PM me your address and I'd be happy send it out to you. That would be a good test to see if something changed with my internet or if it is indeed, as I suspect, the 2102 hardware itself. Or I suppose it is possible that my config got screwed up, although I hadn't changed it from before vs. after the trouble started. I was all set. Things were good. I canceled my POTS and not a week later all hell broke loose with my VoIP. So I don't see how it could be the config. and ditto for the firmware, which didn't change from before to after the trouble. Plus, I reloaded the firmware. Oh, and that reminds me. I still have the latest firmware file uploaded to my server space, so if anyone needs the URL for the update rule field, just send me a PM and I'll email or PM you back with the URL.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
There are so many variables, including the ISP just deciding it doesn't want you making VOIP calls anymore.

Mine is still going strong with more than an hours use every day and even survived a 50 mile relocation.
The 2102 based phone system was operational with minutes of my new cable internet connection.

PM sent

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Long term update...

Upgrading my phone, I've run into an ideal companion to the 2102. The Panasonic KX-TG9382T is a two line cordless phone with 4 channel + local conference capability.

Examples:

Configure the 1st line as in/out and the 2nd line as out only (via VoIP service). While paying for only one phone line, pick up the phone to dial out when a call is already taking place and get... a dial tone on which you can place a separate/complete phone call.

Configure both lines in/out (still under $10/mo total). Pick up the phone when a call is in place, conference with the first call, dial out automatically through the second line, receive a second call on the 2nd line. Either line can then receive a 3rd/4th call waiting.

All the basics are there of course, sound quality, range, intercom (hand/hand, hand/base, base/hand), ease of use, etc.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
EG,

Turns out that the problem was intermittent interference between my rooftop antenna and the receiver. Usually a packet loss and jitter and etc. test would show a good connection. But, if instead of doing the test once, you did it 6 or 10 times in a row, one of those tests would show HORRIBLE packet loss and high jitter. They've changed which receiver I'm pointing at and hopefully this will solve my issues.

The important point for this thread is that it WAS my connection and not my SPA2102. I just didn't test my connection for three or four solid minutes at a time, or repeatedly.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Wow, tough find. So your houses entire connection is based on a wireless connection?

Even with line of sight, thats a tall order. Let us know how it goes!

gideon-sf

Newly Enlightened
First and foremost, let me say, that this is one of the most amazing threads ever on the internet, much thanks
I have an spa-2102 unlocked from clearwire
I've been struggling to get voip fax working, incrementally adjusting the settings
Voice works fine on both lines, but I get communication errors when sending outbound to efax (i know it works normally), and i believe others
I can receive faxes inbound though from faxzero

My Sip providers are gizmo5.com and sipgate.com
I also have google voice and before that grandcentral
Some of the settings for FAX here differ slightly that the official linksys telephone admin guide
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/csbpvga/ata/administration/guide/ATA_AG_v3_NC-WEB.pdf
My all in one fax machine is an epson artisan 810, I've turned down the speeds and ECM on it
I have not tested it on a pots line, because I dont have one
My broadband provider is comcast from san francisco, I get amazing speeds sometimes 30M down and 11M up (ive uncapped the motorola surfboard modem and put an active return amplifier in, that alone made the speed go up ~5x)
I just took voip speed test and here are the results 10M 10M with high jitter
http://www.voipreview.org:82/myspeed/db/report?id=101662
Basically started with the default configs then went to linkys then to Electron Guru's
My firmware is the latest Software Version: 5.2.10
I'm about to reset my unit and start over with EG's configs

I'll post my configs in a separate post that's easily readable, but wonder where to start focusing if I can receive ib but not send ob foip

Thanks
Gideon

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
:welcome:

I just took voip speed test and here are the results 10M 10M with high jitter

The basic challenge is that we use the word rate and speed, interchangeably. Voice data needs only a tiny fraction of the 10M you're getting, but if there are gaps in the flow, real time traffic will notice. The key feature of a phone line is that its a true dedicated line. Anything over IP is shared, so you're trying to build a virtual line. In this environment, a 10 minute conversation is like trying to move a 50 segment train through the streets of a large downtown. Doesn't matter how wide the street, there's going to be cross traffic.

wonder where to start focusing if I can receive ib but not send ob foip

Troubleshooting is all about eliminating variables. Take everything but the SPA and fax machine off the cable connection. Then focus on the cable connection. And remember, its a crap shoot. Even with all settings correct, it still may not function or do so intermittently.

I get amazing speeds sometimes 30M down and 11M up (ive uncapped the motorola surfboard modem and put an active return amplifier in, that alone made the speed go up ~5x)

I have a Motorola Surfboard and would love to hear more about this. :popcorn:

gideon-sf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks
We're moving in 2 weeks and I don't have the time to adjust stuff around, but I understand about the continuous signal
I was hoping someone would have some suggestion of a setting I could tweak since Im able to receive, but not send faxes

For the cable modem, check sbhacker.net forums
I'm "online" running a flashed modem os haxorware 1.38
I bought mine flashed but not configured on ebay (there's tutorials on the site)

I had a high quality non powered splitter beforehand

The modem admin tells u ur sig strength up and down stream
Just removing the splitter helped
I got an 8 port powered active return amp (so there's zero loss on the upstream splits)
Most ppl use powered passive splitters ala motorola, but cable modem needs to push data back to the source as does digital cable
i dont have the numbers handy but it helped
I also have a motorola passive splitter boosting the downstream to digital antenna to my two pcs tv tuner cards where it's only 1 way signal
the passive powered splitter may be good too on the cable modem, but i haven't tried