Vote for the new Arc-AAA retail artwork

Fair idea

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_G

Enlightened
Personal preference is #2. It's simply more professional and "serious" looking. Inspires confidence. Number 1 is more cartoony, looks like something I'd see in the local drug store or Wal-Mart or whatever.

On the other hand, #1 is more eye catching. But so's a fat guy in a bikini - not necessarily a good thing.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer packaging number 1.

Peter, you should contact me for the sales network in Europe. But so far I haven't got an e-mail from you. I hope you are still interested in European distribution of this great flashlight.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
although #1 is more eye catchy I vote or #2, it appears more professional and easy to read. if you wanted to make it more eye catchy you could put a boarder around the paper insert like red or something, but definatly #2.

doug

raggie33

*the raggedier*
rather have a pic of jessica simspon in her daisy dukes holding the light as the art work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifbut outa the choices i say 1

Robban

Enlightened
It's a hard choice really. 1 has more draw but it's a bit OTT (and somehow makes me think of Duracell). 2 is nice but the top 2/3's of the graphic is severly boring. It needs something more.

But if I had to choose I'd say 1.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good input guys! I emailed the artist the link to this thread. He's also finds your comments interesting.

Peter

DaveH

Enlightened
I like low wom's best, but have to vote 2 by a long shot.

#1 looks like some sort of happy fireworks/candy/baseball card pack.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1 (33 votes)
dtsoll setherd jaids JackBlades Sinjz
Flic javafool Redhook6 gorlank Mrd_74
jtice Solstice NetMage RchGrav PhotonBoy
Lebkuecher Kevin_K this_is_nascar wasabe64 Sigman
MaxaBaker siriuslite vaism jdriller geepondy
daloosh Carpe_Diem Darell Erasmus jabajet
raggie33 Robban koala

#2 (23 votes)
watt4 LazerBurnz avusblue Flashlightboy bmstrong
powernoodle mut paulr Zackerty Penguin
DavidR rscanady CARNAL1 JoeBob beav
Floating Spots The_virus Bob_G segan
diggdug13 simbad DaveH

#1 & #2 (6 undecided)
Wutda archangel turbodog LowWorm kitelights
J_Smith

Want his own design (1 vote)
LowWorm

Random Babe graphics (1 vote)
raggie33

-vince.

goldenlight

Enlightened
I think you should say more than 'durable anodized finish'. I mean, Gaglights have a 'durable anodized finish'.

Some simple to understand (for the masses) statement about why the HA 3 finish is much more durable than your standard Gaglight anodized finish would help quite a bit to justify the high price for a keychain flashlight.

Also, a note about how much cheaper it is to use AAA cells, rather than lithium coin cells would be beneficial, as well, I think.

So I'm not voting for either piece of artwork, as it really doesn't point out to the AVERAGE consumer (you know: one eyebrow, and both receding forehead and chin....) what features makes this flashlight so expensive, and worth the money.

That's what I would do if I were making commercial artwork: you want it to HELP SELL the flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to say it but I prefer Lowworms package the best. Then I like number 2 but lowworms is much better than either of the first (from a "clueless about marketing what do I like" perspective at least). I also realize that the first two were likely designed around printing costs so that may be another advantage they offer.

I agree with goldenlight, in fact I noticed that "Durable anodized finish" immediately and scrolled through each page to see if anyone else had before I saw goldenlight's post. The HA3 is a big selling point and although most folks don't know what it is perhaps "Ultra Hard Mil Spec finish" sends the message of uniqueness a little better?

LowWorm

Enlightened
No way, koala, I've got 5 votes (and that's after most everyone had voted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif.

You don't happen to be a poll worker in Florida, do you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Peter, good luck with choosing the final card. Can't wait to receive my next ARC in its official wrappings.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The type of finish, battery advantages, etc are detailed on the back of the card. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I had to come up with a brief way to communicate benefits on the front.

The text used to say, "Advanced Anodized Finish". It was later changed to, "Type III HA Finish" and now to, "Durable Anodized Finish".

You know what they say in advertising, "specs need to follow benefits, not the other way around". Now, I am not religiously following this in all my advertising of course. I still prefer to talk to other geeks when I speak.

If you have a better way to do this, those suggestions are welcome of course.

I hope to make a decision today and be done with it. I won't be deciding based on the number of votes but that is an important vector in the decision process. I also am getting a lot of benefit from your detail comments. Some very good points made so far.

Peter

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:

The text used to say, "Advanced Anodized Finish". It was later changed to, "Type III HA Finish" and now to, "Durable Anodized Finish".

You know what they say in advertising, "specs need to follow benefits, not the other way around".

If

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't aware of the specs following benefits rule but as a consumer who is used to reading between the lines, If I see a knife offered in 440 stainless steel and the blurb advertising doesn't say 440 'C' stainless steel, I assume the worst and that means 440a. 440a is cheap steal, 440c is good steel. Same goes for anodizing, if it doesn't say type III , I assume the cheap type because I assume that marketers are going to scream about the differentiating features of their lights.

It seems that I've run into numerous situations like 440a v 440c or typeI vs Type III and whenever the specification of a benefit is a clearly differentiating factor the smart marketers don't hold back on mentioning the superiority up front.

I think the best thing you can do is look at a recent surefire package with the window that displays the light and do exactly what they do. I'm not sure what that is but someone here prolly knows.

Perhaps

"Ultra Hard Mil Spec finish"

as suggested above, this invites further investigation...

"Hmm what IS a "Ultra Hard Mil Spec finish"? I absolutely must pick this package up and look at the back to find out! This overwhelming curiousity is absolutely compelling me to investigate further." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, I know everything and I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night so don't take my advice lightly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

LowWorm

Enlightened
I've done some contract work in the marketing arena, so I can't resist chipping in another 2.5 cents...

I'd have to agree with a previous poster about the "Instructions in French on back" tidbit...perhaps that's a vital piece of info to the consumer, but I think my preference would be to put more of a sales/informational bit there instead, such as the web site URL: "www.arcflashlight.com"

I'd also replace "durable anodized finish" with something more superlative - "highest military-grade finish" or the like.

It's kind of hard to make comments not knowing exactly what kind of promotional info is going to make the back of the packaging, but maybe it would be helpful (like others have already suggested) of designating on the front of the package - through color and text - whether the light is the standard or premium, and what exactly that means to the consumer.

I also think to have a "See what others say about the ARC Flashlight" teaser on the back of the packaging, followed by some official testimonials could be the clincher, say, if you were to eventually retail the ARC at stores.

Bob_G

Enlightened
Adding the website is an excellent idea, especially considering what a nice site it is - it actually has useful information, a novelty in this day and age to me.

The finish should just say "Mil-Spec" I think. Everyone is familiar with the term and it implies something above the norm.

I'd replace the lifetime guarantee with "Regulated Power Supply" or some such. Even for the people who don't know the implication, it sounds techy and it's true.

The flag is cheesy, sorry, and when I see something like that, my first thought is what's made in the USA, the cardboard it's printed on? A note that it's designed, manufactured and assembled by loving hands in Wherever, USA would be more informative.

The problem with benefits first is that it's become corrupted to the point that anyone who's paying attention automatically discounts most advertising. It might make sense selling soap, but this is a specialty product for a high-end, niche market. Most people willing to spend 30 - 40 dollars on a 1xAAA light can figure out the benefits if shown the features up front.

IMHO natch.

Status
Not open for further replies.