W200 Battery Question.

gav6280

Enlightened
Do you think it would be i good idea to remove the inner tube and put in a single 18650 then make up the difference with a spacer/copper blank?

I ask because it seems we are still unsure what this new driver is or what its capable off? It would be good to just stick 2x 18650 and be done with it.

As 1x18650 = 4.2V / 3xAA = 4.5V no idea about mah of an AA though?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need the tube to complete the electrical connection so if you remove it...then what? Packhorse had another he was able to make fit I believe for his (2) 18650 conversion.

DaYerk

Newly Enlightened
@gav6280

...and you are sure there is a driver? My W200s were shipped one month ago. And both have definitely no driver. I looked under the Led.

I need a backup for night dives, so i will only replace Led and optic. The second W200 will be modified with 2 18650, driver and a P7 or MC-E.

But protected cells will cut off without warning, so without changing the Led I see no advantage to use one 18650.

I will post some pictures, but right now there is no way to buy a XP-G R5 on a 20mm star in germany.

gav6280

Enlightened
Last edited:

DaYerk

Newly Enlightened
I only can say the same, i lifted the Led of one of my brandnew W200s and looked under it: no driver.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only can say the same, i lifted the Led of one of my brandnew W200s and looked under it: no driver.

What did you see?

Why point is there running a single 18650? You get about the same power as the 3 AA's but it requires a bit of modification?

gav6280

Enlightened
Why point is there running a single 18650

Didn't think that the existing driver would cope with 8.4V, LOL, not that it really matters as now there isn't one!

So i have a few choices: A 4 ohm 10 watt resistor, but that's really to big. Or some sort of driver like a 1050ma 7135 board, but i wanted to keep it simple with preferable no driver.

So hence only using 1 x 18650 and keeping the original resistor board(less to go wrong).

Last edited:

gav6280

Enlightened
Once again, what benifit does a single 18650 have over AAs?

Yeah your right!!

But obviously 18650's are rechargeable with lower ongoing cost and higher mah?

But AA's do have the advantage of being widely available and make for any easy no nonsense build.

Last edited:

gav6280

Enlightened
For maximum water penetration in really crap viz what would be your 1st,2nd,3rd weapon of choice from the following:

XRE R2 Reflector
XRE R2 Aspheric,
XPG R4 Reflector,
XPG R4 Aspheric,
XPG R4 LXP?

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
For maximum water penetration in really crap viz what would be your 1st,2nd,3rd weapon of choice from the following:

XRE R2 Reflector
XRE R2 Aspheric,
XPG R4 Reflector,
XPG R4 Aspheric,
XPG R4 LXP?

1st XRE R2 Aspheric
2nd XPG R4 LXP
3rd none of the above.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
the w200 is hard on batteries. I have 3 eneloops which now bare slight circular indentations in their tail-caps. The worst is the cell that had been on the bottom, it was marked heavily.

Nickyan

Newly Enlightened
Hi! My W200 won't run well on 3x NiMH AA, the 3.6 V don't seem enough to put out a decent amount of light. The light is very dimm and the rechargeable batteries turn very hot.

@gav: Where and what exactly did you order? I can see changing the LED and putting in aspherics, I didn't want to mess with the body or electronics so far. Basically looking for a doable LED upgrade. Warm tint would be great.

Thx!

jspeybro

Enlightened
@gav: Where and what exactly did you order? I can see changing the LED and putting in aspherics, I didn't want to mess with the body or electronics so far. Basically looking for a doable LED upgrade. Warm tint would be great.

Thx!

This is a website that sells both the XPG on various stars and the LXP optic:
LED: http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut937
optic: http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut948

regarding the different types of stars, the XPG10SRO is a ROund Star with a diameter of 10mm.
More info on the different things can be found here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=199888
Note that you can get a 5% discount via this link.

Johan

Bubblemaker

Newly Enlightened
Once again, what benifit does a single 18650 have over AAs?

Just guessing as I don't own this light but IMHO the low self discharge rate of a 18650 compared to NiMh's is a big advantage as most people will use this light as a backup light. This way you don't need to charge the batteries for the backup light all the time. The LiIon stays charged for a very long time. When NiMh's are used chances are that when you need your light most the battery is flat.

Besides that NiMh's don't provide a big enough voltage for this light (says the description on DX).

Marcel

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess thats nice in theory but I have a pre dive ritual the night before of charging up every battery I will be using.

Can light
Back up light
back up light #2
Camera battery
camera light battery
GPS battery

Its not so much that they need it but more that I want to be sure they are fully charged.