W200 issue!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never run into a problem like this before! I have an Ultrafire W200 that I use as a backup light. I hadn't used this one in a while but I left the batteries in it.

I tested it today and it didn't turn on. I opened it up and I could pull the batteries out! One came out, one was halfway out of the tube and one is in their in the middle of the tube. I can't get either one out. I broke off one battery and still can't get it out.

I know that tube is a tight fit but I've never seen a battery swell before. They were alkaline batteries and they do leak and I shouldn't have left it with batteries in there but there is no obvious leaking. I just can't get them out.

I tried using a hammer and and piece of metal. I haven't put it in a vise yet but I was just surprised to see this happen at all.

Has anyone else had any issues like this with the W200?

josb

Newly Enlightened
Maybe you can try to glue some kind of stick or bar with super glue or 2 component glue on the "behind" of the battery that's stuck in the housing and try to pull it with that???
the cell is broken anyway so you can't break anything more only with some luck save the light itself.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chances are if you have done all that its more stuck than before.
I'd suggest trying to remove the battery tube instead.Get a block of wood and slam the light down on it opening end first. This may shock the tube out far enough to be able to grab it with some pliers.

jspeybro

Enlightened
there's an o-ring keeping the metal battery tube in the black plastic. you should be able to grab the metal tube with needle nose pliers and pull it out. Initially you need to use quite some force to get it moving but once it's moving it comes out easily.
after that, you might be able to put someting in the tube that you can hit with a hammer or so, but I don't have good experience with that (had the same in a mag D...)

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the tube out right away when I pulled on the first of the stuck batteries. A spring and a plastic washer come out as well. I couldn't get the battery out even with a hammer and a punch but today I'll take it to my garage (unlighted) to use the vise.

I also have a second W200 body so all is good in any event but I'd like to fix this one as well. I guess when a battery tube is that tight in the first place any leaking can make it almost impossible to get out.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a towel around the tube and put it in a vise and used a long screwdriver and hammer and finally got it out. The leaking battery left some white stuff "alkaline"? in the tube. I tried to clear it but it is very tough! I even tried pouring some vinegar in the tube. Nothing. I added some baking soda and it fizzed but the white stuff is still there.

I need to find a wire brush I suppose that will go in the tube. There is not a lot there but since the tube is so narrow in the first place it's enough to prevent batteries from moving freely. I don't want any more stuck batteries so I'll look for a wire brush I guess.

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened
use the apartel to clean the barell of a small gun. it should work
you could use a part of steel wool tied with cave line and pass it trought the tube

both should work