Wanted: Dim, Red, Small, Long Run Time (for Astronomy)

Marduke

Flashaholic
Another option would be to stick a deep red LED in a 2AA MiniMag and pair it with an IQ switch for variability.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 more for a Photon Freedom - they also include a free holder and neck lanyard so you can wear it with the emitter pointing downwards as the OP requested.

+1 for the Photons. Most users don't take the minute or so that it takes to learn the interface, but it's the best I've seen- you can start of dim and go brighter, or start of bright and go dimmer, and they're available in a huge range of colors. Some folks feel that the turquoise and green work better for preserving night vision than red- that red preserves night vision better for a given brightness, but green or green/blue allow better vision at lower light levels. I have both, but haven't compared them side-by-side. I suspect they're right- too bad nautical charts are printed in colors designed to work under red light.

The Photons I've carried on my keychain have always gone obsolete before the batteries died, and I've ended up replacing them for features or brightness. I understand the colored LEDs use much less current than the white.

They're reasonably waterproof, weigh next to nothing, small enough that you could sleep with one around your neck and not notice, and versatile, with infinitely variable brightness, strobe, and SOS.

obriencr

Newly Enlightened
You should investigate the Photon Proton Pro. It provides either a red or white beam in a single AA flashlight. Completely adjustable. Red ramps from low to high and white ramps from high to low. It is my first choice for night vision work.

A wonderful small light that gets surprisingly little discussion on cpf.

superflytnt

Enlightened
For small but plastic: try a Photon Freedom, tiny, cheap, ultra-dimmable, and at least at the dim settings the red led version runs a very long time on a 2032 coin cell.

+2 on this! I dabble in astronomy and most single-level lights are still WAY too bright. The red Photon Freedom is like the Rigel (only far cheaper) in that you can start out at the dimmest level (which is silly dim) and work your way up. Or if you need lots of light for walking around you can skip that and go right to high. It is tiny, reliable, can hang from a neck lanyard without you even feeling it and has really long runtimes. Lugging around that Rigel will seem like a chore after you get used to a Photon Freedom. It is THE perfect light for astronomy.

Should also note that with it's stock lithium battery it is unaffected by those early morning cold temp's like an alkaline battery would be.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL, I expect the OP found himself something suitable some time ago, but maybe now he would like to consider an upgrade?

For a classy solution, a Novatac 120P is programmable to any 4 levels required - even extremely low - and a red Surefire F05 filter will fit perfectly on the bezel.

The 8th Man

Newly Enlightened
I have both of the Photon Proton flashlights , the older one and the new pro and for what you want I would say the older Proton is the one. The Proton has a much better red beam than the Pro and it is great for use at night where night vision must be maintained. It also has a great clip for your pocket or shirt along with the fact that you can adjust the output to what you want. You will also have the option of white light if ever needed.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I agree, the older Proton has a nicer red. I'm hoping a new Pro design will use two or three reds for a more balanced beam.

Geoff

Latest posts