• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Ti PD Mules **SOLD**

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
One more thing about the Mule on a C-pack. The Rubber boot and O-ring (which smells O-so good) matches nicely with the exposed window retaining O-ring, like it was meant to be. :kiss:

tdurand

Enlightened
The Mule with the PD pack is too small for my hands to activate the piston without my hands cluttering up the photons exuding the emitter.

Try it, the Mule-C is still a smidge shorter (0.5mm) than the TiPD-S. :rock:

I agree here. It gets crowded on there with man hands.
mulepic.jpg

If I keep the PD pack it's twisty head for me.

DSC00140.jpg

Pack Mule is all good!!

DSC00147-1.jpg

Great offering Don! Thank you!

T

:rock:

chellyc

Enlightened
My mule arrived yesterday and I took it with me for a short walkabout last night. Switched the light on and couldn't believe my eyes -- suddenly there was a massive and extremely bright wall of light all around me! This is definitely a keeper (as are all my McGizmos) and quite special. Congrats Don!!!

Chelly

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing about the Mule on a C-pack. The Rubber boot and O-ring (which smells O-so good) matches nicely with the exposed window retaining O-ring, like it was meant to be. :kiss:

Olfactory symmetry aside, I gave the Mule-C a try last night. If I was to use it much hand-held, I might keep that configuration, but with the Mule usually sitting down somewhere during use, the PD pack suffices just fine for me.

Fringe

Enlightened
PSM,
Nice observation on the C-pak Mule combo. I have only had mine for a few minutes (gone for the weekend), but this seems like a nice setup. I look forward to legoing later this evening.

I DO like the compact size of the PD Mule though.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You still have high/low by twisting the head, but the clicky gives you momentary or latched-on for whichever level you have the head "twisted" to. The behavior is the same as a Surefire U2, if you're familar with them.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
You still have high/low by twisting the head, but the clicky gives you momentary or latched-on for whichever level you have the head "twisted" to. The behavior is the same as a Surefire U2, if you're familar with them.

Codeman,

Ahh...gotcha. Is the clickie easy to press? Though I find myself using my Mule for longer periods of time and don't find the twist to turn on a problem, the ability to press for a moment of light could be a good addition. The PD already has that function, but with big paws, my fingers cover the lens. I can hold it like a cigarette and press with my thumb, but it I would hate to drop the Mule because of a weak handhold.

Ken

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compared to the Mule's stock PD and o-ring, yes, the stock C-pack is much easier to press. And it can be made even easier by replacing the stock rubber boot via Bob G's suggestion here. But you can also make the Mule's PD easier to press by replacing the stock red silicone -016 o-ring with a -015 o-ring. You will lose a bit of water resistance, but that may or may not be an issue for you. Unless you plan on swimming or diving with your Mule, it probably won't make any difference as far as the seal goes.

Having said that, the C-pack is much easier to use with a cigarette-style grip, regardless of the size of the o-ring in use. It provides a much better grip thanks to the narrower body. I have the same problem - I dropped my Ti-PD-S onto a concrete floor from about a 5 foot height for this very reason. No damage to the Ti-PD-S :D, but it did chip the concrete a bit!

If you want to try an -015 o-ring, PM me an address and I"ll be glad to send you one. What the heck, just PM your address. I'll toss in a small spectra cord lanyard that you may find handy for your Mule and PD-S!

Last edited:

KenAnderson

Enlightened
If you want to try an -015 o-ring, PM me an address and I"ll be glad to send you one. What the heck, just PM your address. I'll toss in a small spectra cord lanyard that you may find handy for your Mule and PD-S!

Thanks much Ray,

PM sent. I'll try out the 015 o-ring and see how it works. Hmm...a lanyard. Not a bad idea. Doesn't add to the hard length, but it adds to the ability to hold onto. I'd like to try one. Do you make them yourself?

Ken

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made this setup specifically to avoid dropping my Ti-PD-S for the very reason you mentioned:

2007061852001304timulephb8.jpg

I just slip the cord under the clip and away we go. Nice and secure, simple and effective!

2007061852001303timulepoh4.jpg

I'll leave the end tab loose, so that you can adjust the length for a perfect fit. Tension on the cord provides the "push", rather than my clumsy grip on the light. Once you've got the length right, simply melt the ends of the cord with a match or lighter to seal them, then use some pliers to close the end tab over the ends of the cord.

Spectra cord is extremely tough, so don't get too close to moving machinery. The close fit, though, leaves little cord hanging around to get caught so it's safer than longer lanyards. Still, if the cord gets caught in something, bad things could happen.

I don't sell them, but I got the Spectra cord from Berkley Point and the other pieces from CountyComm - in case anyone else wants one.

Last edited:

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Ray,

Very nice and a good idea. The added security when holding in the cigarette style will be welcome. Simple but effective.

Nice :twothumbs

Ken

Nice setup there, Codey. :thumbsup:

Don, the little beauty arrived today. Wow, it's really cool. And an added bonus: I somehow lucked out and got another wide tail version. :twothumbs

Thanks, Don, for yet another killer light. Outstanding.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sheez, that pic makes my arm look way fatter than it really is. Catching the 396T in the shot was accidental - I wouldn't want anyone confusing us, PSM! :poke:

KenAnderson - I put them in the mail this morning.

Last edited:

KenAnderson

Enlightened
KenAnderson - I put them in the mail this morning.

Thanks Ray, it looks like your paws are about the same size as mine. Good solution.

Ken

And an added bonus: I somehow lucked out and got another wide tail version.

awtyd,

You can't just drop a bomb like that and not explain to us newbies. Please, what is a wide tail? :thinking:

Thanks, Ken

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wide tail is a misnomer. The Mule has a shallower chamfer than most of the earlier PD's. It gives the illusion of having a wider opening for the piston, but the only thing that changed was the angle of the chamfer itself. It does, however, make it feel a bit more "open" by providing some relief at the end of the body.

2007061952001305timuleppu3.jpg

Mule on the left, Ti-PD-S on the right.

Notice that the top surface (facing towards us in the pic) is thinner on the Mule, due to the shallower chamfer. It's a subtle change for the better.

Last edited:

Fringe

Enlightened
Actually AWTYD is right.
There where a few PDs in the last run that had VERY little chamfer and have a big blocky apperance in the piston area.
I have a picture in another thread that shows the difference.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bad - I remembered that some were different, just forgot how they differed. Still, calling it wide can be misleading. Most folks would assume that to mean that the tail is wider overall, which isn't the case.

Here's a link to the photo that I think Fringe is referring to, and here's one that AWTYD took. Looks like we have series 1, 2, and now 3, or standard, beefy, and lean! :D

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Got mine ... and it is COOL !!!
Even the mizer I got is way brighter than I thought. And it isn't even night yet.
I like it. It is a handsome head. Techno-Look.

The only problem is that it, just like all the other Ti-Heads, won't be able to turn on high mode on the III-T body. That would have been a killer combo !!
:D

bernie