We need to talk about Olight

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have had several of my lights turn on in my pocket, holsters and in my vehicle. Mostly I would like to think its because something came into contact with the switch or it was able to twist on due to something moving. I tend to be on the move a lot with full pockets. I found this with all brands of lights, pelican, surefire, acebeam, nitecore, maglite ect. I did have one Acebeam M10 that would turn on and cycle through the brightness levels with the slightest bump. My 25 lbs beagle walking on the floor while the light was sitting on the coffee table was able to turn it on.
I think we've found the issue. I wear cargo pants and cargo shorts almost exclusively, and have paired down my EDC items considerably. Main light is usually an 18650 or 21700 powered LED model, clip-carried in my left-front pocket; bezel-down. Only other thing in there is my leather slim-line I.D. and credit card case. Literally nothing else. Back-up light is always some sort of 2AAA LED penlight. Clip-carried, bezel-down in my back right pocket. Only other thing in there is my even slimmer leather wallet. Last light is a small keychain model on my main key-ring. Carried dangling from a belt clip.

Last accidental activation I had was a brand new (back then) Fenix P3D. Back when I carried quite a bit more stuff in my very non-cargo, black pants. That was about 25 years ago! Nearly burned my crotch back then.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you don't have that one particular model that's been recalled already and a paper clip in your pocket

The paperclip didn't come from my pocket, it was attracted to the magnet from somewhere in the doctor's office. Could have been on the receptionist's desk, the chairs I sat in, tables I walked by, etc.

Yeah, no crap I won't be carrying the recalled light, that's not the point. When you have multiple customers coming to you with this kind of problem, you look into it, not sweep it under the rug and release a new model with the same exact flawed design.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we've found the issue. I wear cargo pants and cargo shorts almost exclusively, and have paired down my EDC items considerably. Main light is usually an 18650 or 21700 powered LED model, clip-carried in my left-front pocket; bezel-down. Only other thing in there is my leather slim-line I.D. and credit card case. Literally nothing else. Back-up light is always some sort of 2AAA LED penlight. Clip-carried, bezel-down in my back right pocket. Only other thing in there is my even slimmer leather wallet. Last light is a small keychain model on my main key-ring. Carried dangling from a belt clip.

Last accidental activation I had was a brand new (back then) Fenix P3D. Back when I carried quite a bit more stuff in my very non-cargo, black pants. That was about 25 years ago! Nearly burned my crotch back then.

That may be why I've had so few accidental activations, I never carry anything in the same pocket as my main flashlight, mainly because of it being a pain in the backside reaching into a pocket that has a flashlight clipped to it and potential risk of what's in the pocket pushing my light out of my pocket when I sit down.

adhoc

Newly Enlightened
I had two olights.

Some of the hate is deserved. They are not cheap, yet not built for EDC duty. First light, after grease stopped leaking from tailcap. Switch began sticking.

Second light, switch started feeling 'off'. After turning off the light, clipping it to my pocket. Began feeling heat/burning. Removed the light, light was off but very hot. Used channel locks and gloves to remove the battery, and threw it all into a snow bank. Garbage.

My current EDC has been a Surefire edcl1-t for 3 years. Been absolutely flawless. And emits a quality beam.

Olight needs to go away.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had two olights.

Some of the hate is deserved. They are not cheap, yet not built for EDC duty. First light, after grease stopped leaking from tailcap. Switch began sticking.

Second light, switch started feeling 'off'. After turning off the light, clipping it to my pocket. Began feeling heat/burning. Removed the light, light was off but very hot. Used channel locks and gloves to remove the battery, and threw it all into a snow bank. Garbage.

My current EDC has been a Surefire edcl1-t for 3 years. Been absolutely flawless. And emits a quality beam.

Olight needs to go away.
That surefire is a nice light. It they'd reduce the output to around 400 lumens, I'd have one. Would be a nice update to the lx2 lumamax

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That surefire is a nice light. It they'd reduce the output to around 400 lumens, I'd have one. Would be a nice update to the lx2 lumamax
Not sure why you'd want a reduction of 100 lumens but okay....
SureFire E1B-MV Backup. 400 lumens and still made by SureFire today.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
For a while I was carrying 6P sized lights in my pocket with the Thyrme pocket clip. Then I went to a Surefire E2D with an LED drop on bezel for more output. Then I narrowed it down to an Elzetta Alpha light in a 1 cell that I dont care if I have a pocket clip or not. Then again my carry gun had the same movement to something smaller. (Shrugs) maybe I have gotten lazier in my old age. Olight makes very few good pocketable lights and while their quality has improved, I only use them when I need a beater at work. Some people love them and some people hate them. I have my grumps but yet some of their products I will buy. The Olantern music was a great choice for when I take my family camping and same with the Obulb.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why you'd want a reduction of 100 lumens but okay....
SureFire E1B-MV Backup. 400 lumens and still made by SureFire today.
Ah I didn't see it was the one cell. Than 250 lumens would be perfect for a single cell. As for the e1b, no 2 stage tailcap, and don't want maxvision. But thanks for the suggestion

trutekmendrones

Newly Enlightened
You continue to talk about things you know nothing about and don't seem to read too well. I clearly said before there was a recall. That's not my mistake or a one off, that's 2 entire flashlight lines.
Really and what models were recalled from Olight? Also there is going to be R&D hiccups along the way when your the company that is pushing modern day technological advancements in led flashlights. Also they've made changes to their proximity sensors so that rain, snow, windows aren't easily triggering it. But effective 2024 ALL of their lights that have that feature can be programmed per the user through the UI not to have it.

And for the record, I have had a ton of different brand led flashlights. The one that let me down on my first purchase was the Acebeam T16. Literally dropped from waist height on concrete (accidentally) and the dang thing was dead. Owned a Zebralight SC52w aa light. Had it for 3 years then the dang thing started glitching and wouldn't turn on after frustratingly chucked it at the wall.

I will say none of my fenix lights haven't crapped out on me and that's really saying something to me. And I've dropped those lights from waist height to insure they are good for PLATO ANSI standards.

I will say this. I just acquired the 1 year ago released Olight Perun 2 Mini and I'm liking it a lot. Minus the red dang light that is too bright (40 lm?). I love how versatile the rest of the light is. Time will tell and everyday use.

trutekmendrones

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry, but this is objectively wrong. Olight has had many issues over the years, such as having the charging contacts being live all the time and causing major issues since the tail is magnetic and attracts some metals. Even with lockout that helps little if the contacts are still live. Add to that the issue of locking out something which is supposed to be a flashlight able to be used with pure muscle memory, it's purely poor design.

Olight has been made aware of issues with the design time and time again, but instead of dealing with the actual problem they throw some cash at the victims and that's enough to have people defend them.

To put this into perspective, if i own a Spyderco knife and they have issues with several of their models that just don't lock up, ending up with people getting cut from the knife just not staying open during normal use or even the knife opening itself in their pockets that doesn't mean that it's just user error if the blade shuts itself over my fingers either and it'd be asinine to blame the people who've been hurt from doing something wrong, claiming that Spyderco makes good knives so it can't be a fault on their end. That being said all my Spydercos are good, it's just an example using a well-known manufacturer.
I love SPYDERCO's. From the blade geometry, and leaf style blades zero grind perfect for any type of cutlery tasks… to the volcano grip to their patented spoon clip. Theyve innovated. Innovated and innovated some more all through the years. I own a endura and a H1 recurve blade. All of them super sharp.

I digress. I haven't had the troubles of owning Olights through the years. It sounds like you have and that must've been very annoying and cumbersome. I can tell you now that the Olight Perun 2 Mini is an amazing light for many reasons…. One of the most if not most important to me is the tactile feel and switch interface of the on/ off button. The switch is very innovative and they must have finally listen because I can tell you without a doubt it takes "adequate pressure" to turn on the light. They got it right this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really and what models were recalled from Olight? Also there is going to be R&D hiccups along the way when your the company that is pushing modern day technological advancements in led flashlights. Also they've made changes to their proximity sensors so that rain, snow, windows aren't easily triggering it. But effective 2024 ALL of their lights that have that feature can be programmed per the user through the UI not to have it.

M2R Warrior Pro (what I had) and the Warrior Mini were recalled.

Yes, there will be hiccups along the way, but I go back to the point that they ignored users who were pointing out said hiccups. Really, at the end of the day, that's what pisses me off the most. S*** happens, any respectable company will take responsibility, look into and take care of such problems.

Foursevens for example had runtime problems with the Preon and the Mini MKIII. I was the first one to notice these problems and when I emailed them, they immediately looked into it instead of brushing it off. That's a company deserving of respect.

trutekmendrones

Newly Enlightened
That would make sense and the company (if their smart) should always to into account what their consumers are concerned about or even needed changes to make the light more intuitive, simple and easy to use. I guess I'll hold Olight to it on their 5 year warranty and 1 year on battery.

Apart from that, some lights just come out flawed either because of their assembly or bad part, weak solder points or just bad circuitry.

All of those things should be worked out through a final pre-trial release batch to determine those last minute flaws. Then each light before releasing to consumer should be QCed.

This is what fenix does and their lights are pretty solid. They don't jump the gun. They keep to their method and it works.

trutekmendrones

Newly Enlightened
For a while I was carrying 6P sized lights in my pocket with the Thyrme pocket clip. Then I went to a Surefire E2D with an LED drop on bezel for more output. Then I narrowed it down to an Elzetta Alpha light in a 1 cell that I dont care if I have a pocket clip or not. Then again my carry gun had the same movement to something smaller. (Shrugs) maybe I have gotten lazier in my old age. Olight makes very few good pocketable lights and while their quality has improved, I only use them when I need a beater at work. Some people love them and some people hate them. I have my grumps but yet some of their products I will buy. The Olantern music was a great choice for when I take my family camping and same with the Obulb.
The Olight Perun 2 mini my wife got me for Christmas is weightless in my pocket. I'm guessing the Olight Baton 4 premium is the same. I love my little mini and I go running with it everyday as well as EDC it in my pocket with my spyderco 🙂

trutekmendrones

Newly Enlightened
I had two olights.

Olight needs to go away.
Surefires and just about any other light, aside from their R&D and QC before consumer actually gets their product can have their problems. I had an Acebeam T16 ($100 product) for all of a month then accidentally dropped from waist height and the dang thing never turned on. I had a zebralight sc52w aa light 3 yrs and out of no where it died too. Keep in mind I did regular maintenance with my flashlight and circulated my rechargeable batteries. I had a surefire G2 nitrolon some years ago and the switch went bad when I was doing a Vic search.

I've just come to accept some things/ anomalies just happen out of no where. That's 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

But my edc now is:

Left front pocket: Fenix PD35 v3
Necklace: Fenix eo1 v2
Right pocket spyderco H1 hawks bill
Right pocket: Olight Perun 2 mini.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Surefires and just about any other light, aside from their R&D and QC before consumer actually gets their product can have their problems. I had an Acebeam T16 ($100 product) for all of a month then accidentally dropped from waist height and the dang thing never turned on. I had a zebralight sc52w aa light 3 yrs and out of no where it died too. Keep in mind I did regular maintenance with my flashlight and circulated my rechargeable batteries. I had a surefire G2 nitrolon some years ago and the switch went bad when I was doing a Vic search.

I've just come to accept some things/ anomalies just happen out of no where. That's 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

But my edc now is:

Left front pocket: Fenix PD35 v3
Necklace: Fenix eo1 v2
Right pocket spyderco H1 hawks bill
Right pocket: Olight Perun 2 mini.
I obtained a really cheap heavily used G2Z MV on the bay and it arrived to work for about 20 minutes. I ended up finding someone took it apart so it fried itself when the contacts reconnected with batteries. I called Surefire and told them what was wrong. They had me send it down and I got it back about two weeks later (mostly the delay because of the holidays). They fixed it and now it sits in my duty bag. I cannot say enough nice things about their customer service.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ultra rare quadruple post!

Every brand has their problems and issues. If you find something you like and it sticks and works for ya then more power to you. Don't let a bunch of people on a forum decide for ya. Try out some lights off your own DD and go from there.

letschat7

Suspended
I strongly dislike Olight's marketing in 2023 and their designs are disinteresting. I'd rather have Fenix or Reylight.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
I've had quite a few Fenix's (Spelling?) over the years and none has let me down. My current favourite is the PD40R (21700). I wasn't sure that I'd like the ring control but it's actually very intuitive and has the compulsory strobe where its actually useful. Plus it can use 18650's if needed so I have a ton of spares.