Wee Da Order list & Clarification

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd Op complete just some finishing work like de burring to do this week.
Then of for etching. Sorry still no pics, as soon as I get them back to my workshop I'll do the photo shoot.
Yes plenty of White, Green & Blue locators for these :twothumbs

Can you go out on a limb and throw a date of completion ???
I won't hold you to it but I think it;s a fair request at this point:D

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you go out on a limb and throw a date of completion ???
I won't hold you to it but I think it;s a fair request at this point:D

Not confidently as I can not forecast how long the etching process will take.
My Aim is to deliver these this year.
Updates to follow this week...

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
Can we get any closer to a final price?

Or start the process of picking pills/locators/extra batteries? Getting so close to the holidays, there are those of us that need to start factoring this purchase in, and make sure to make arrangements as the final payment comes due.

~Chip
#19 on the list. :D

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we get any closer to a final price?

Or start the process of picking pills/locators/extra batteries? Getting so close to the holidays, there are those of us that need to start factoring this purchase in, and make sure to make arrangements as the final payment comes due.

~Chip
#19 on the list. :D

:popcorn::popcorn:

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
Seriously, an update would be nice. I think we've all been pretty patient, but we're now a month and a half past the original date. For the $150 we've each got on the line you'd think we would at least have gotten a pic of the barstock we paid for, much less progres pics. Even a crappy cel phone pic would have been better than this lack of information.

And again, lots of us are trying to get Christmas shopping done with and the uncertain unpaid balance here is somewhat disconcerting.

~Chip

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the lack of updates & photos.
Fact is the Damascus Bar Stock & the Wee Da before etching look just like Titanium or Stainless Steel.
I will take some photos before I send the 1st Ten of to Dennis this week for the etching.
Also I have been stalling on the final price until we begin the etching so there is no more guess work with the costs.
So far with the material & the machining costs & then the etching costs I will end up out of pocket if we charge the estimated £150 GBP.
I have not yet made a decision as to whether I would rather just swallow a loss & stick to the £150 Guesstimate or admit I was wrong & at least break-even / make a little profit on the Wee Da.

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
1st Ten??

If the 3rd op is complete, why are only 10 getting sent off at a time? how long in between batches do you think you'll wait? Also, etching 10 or 20... it makes no difference except for size of the container

I'm a little confused as to why you'd post that pics were coming if you had no intention of posting them.

~Chip

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st Ten??

If the 3rd op is complete, why are only 10 getting sent off at a time? how long in between batches do you think you'll wait? Also, etching 10 or 20... it makes no difference except for size of the container

I'm a little confused as to why you'd post that pics were coming if you had no intention of posting them.

~Chip

I'm a little confused also.... 10 ??? When we originally signed up this was posted about a time line:

Quote:
So perhaps a way to satisfy everybody that wishes to purchase a Wee Da is to begin excepting payments. Lead time is another best guess as i can not forecast how long it will take for Dennis to receive, etch & send back the Wee Da's. Again best Estimate is 5 Weeks from 7th July so 2nd week of August for expected dispatch.
Edit Extended lead time now October.

I don't want to have to keep wondering about this but there seem to be alot of delays and unless we ask for an update ..... there isn't any. You have made several different offers about other projects since this started and I relieze you must keep new things in the pipeline for business but ... unless someone reminds you about this it doesn't stay on the front burner!
I was very exiceted about this at the beginning and I would still like one but frustration is catching up with excitment . It was said in a movie " you can't handle the truth" I'm here to tell you I can handle the truth. Be straight with with me and my expectations will be easier to manage!

Thanks for your time so far

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
My reasons for sending 10 is in case something goes wrong.
They will be insured to the full value, but still could get lost on there journey's.
I have every faith in Dennis doing the Etching, I still think it is better to have him do the ten & see how they come back. It may be that something needs reworking with the metal work...
Who knows??? I hope all goes really smoothly.

I understand frustration as I am well behind my forecast. I apologize for the delays & my misjudgment on the time taken so far.
The actual machining has proven to be a total ball ache, enormously costly in Tooling & time.
These will eventually be delivered, the past has shown with some of my projects patience is necessary.

gollum

Enlightened
good things come to those who wait...:grin2:

having worked with this damascus myself,I agree its a bugger to work with...but it will be worth it ...hopefully before the christmas rush...

please keep us informed Rob.:popcorn:

iaind

Newly Enlightened
I had a chat with Rob this evening and he was extremely helpful and a little down about the Da situation.

My understanding of recent developments goes as follows:

a) It is taking longer than expected. Especially the machining. That's life. You are still talking about a Damascus torch that nobody else will have (and probably will never get in the future). He has not tried this before and neither had his machine shop.

b) Rob is worried about trying to keep the cost to the initially estimated price, and possibly making a loss (or only breaking even) on the project. I would like to point out that the figure he quoted was just an estimate. I am also happy to point out that businesses that behave on a break even basis will not last long. You are looking at a serious piece of commissioned work here - they have a habit of running over cost.

c) He has not posted any pictures of the bar stock, etc, since they look like any old bar stock. He may well post pictures of said indeterminate bar stock anyway and let you decide that it looks exactly like everything else.

d) This is very much a "special project" and subject to change as new information arrives.

Or to paraphrase a well-known saying:

Fast, cheap, good - pick one...

We are getting Rob's default setting of "good".

That is absolutely not an issue for me, and I would rather wait to get something exceptional.

I'd be interested hearing if you disagree with the above, even if it is running up to christmas and we are all juggling budgets.

Rob did not ask me to post this and I did not tell him I was going to - this is my take on what he said and as such subject to interpretation. Sorry in advance if I missed the point anywhere.

Flame on, etc...

IainD

Hey, I figure I've waited this long. What've I got to lose by waiting longer? It'll be a great Christmas/New Year's/Valentine's/Easter/Memorial Day surprise! :D

All I ever think about when I see this thread is "Da Da Da," the catchy tune from Trio popularized in the VW commercial.

Da da da....:whistle: :grin2:

iconoclast

Enlightened
Setbacks are unfortunate, and it is nice to have an update on what's going on, even if what's going on is just more waiting. But I've also learned to take any timeline estimates for any sort of custom work as an "unrealistically optimistic minimum" and set my expectations accordingly.

I guess in my case the Wee Da is getting slight reprieve because I have two other lights from other builders that are even more overdue. Also looking back at the Raw Da thread before ordering the Wee Da, I knew what I was getting myself into. Now, if that Surefire I ordered some while back arrives sooner than the Wee Da, it'll probably be a bad sign. In the meantime I'll keep checking this thread for an update or perhaps even a glimpse of a boring un-etched indistinguishable chunk of metal.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Something to look forward to from the last Dam Raw run...(I gotta learn how to use my macro lens!)

DamRaw.jpg

Well worth the wait. Was offered 2x what I paid, but won't let her go...

Regards,
Flavio

gollum

Enlightened
I am happy to wait for one of Robs creations and appreciate they will take time.:grin2: we've waited this long so don't do a rush job on my account.
Regarding pricing...I deposited 100 quid some time ago (July) ...
thats a lot of dough and 5 months and counting.
please Rob try to keep pricing as close to 150 as you can, my Aussie $ is really bad ATM :broke:

more pics Flavio.:popcorn:

heres a random pic of some of my damascus

IMGP4205JPG.jpg

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a very good idea to start with 10, never put all the eggs in one . . . shipping is always risk.

As well, etching is simple and complicated all at the same time. Turn your back and you got a bucket of junk. The etch guy will probably start with just one body and see how is goes. But the real issue is that Rob gets the parts to function properly after they are etched. Murphy is everywhere.

Please keep the updates coming! :popcorn:

Cheers
Dave