Murphy is everywhere.

evil7wm3.gif

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here´s another beauty (yeah I know, the pictures aren´t :) ) from Rob´s first
damascus mission:

rawda.jpg
rawda1hb0.jpg

Sometimes things are out of Rob´s control, like the machining that took much longer than anticipated. Just give him some slack, his second damascus light
will surely be awesome - even if it takes a little longer.

Eric

Last edited:

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michelangelo painted 12,000 square feet (1,100 m2) of the chapel ceiling between 1508 and 1512.

What have we learned?

Art takes time! :crackup:

4 years = 1460 days
12,000 sqft divided 1460 days= 8.219 sqft per day

Dam wee = +or- 4sqin
4 sqin x 30 pieces =120 sqin

1 sqft = 144 sqin

job started 8-15 thru today 11-20 = 98 days

1.22 sqin per day so far that being said
it should take 4 days per light x 30 lights = 120 days

120 days

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a very good idea to start with 10, never put all the eggs in one . . . shipping is always risk.

As well, etching is simple and complicated all at the same time. Turn your back and you got a bucket of junk. The etch guy will probably start with just one body and see how is goes. But the real issue is that Rob gets the parts to function properly after they are etched. Murphy is everywhere.

Please keep the updates coming! :popcorn:

Cheers
Dave
The etch guy (Dennis - Osprey_Guy) is trying it out the etching process on my Raw Da at the moment:D. I can't wait to see it when it's done Buddy.:twothumbs

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the support is much appreciated :thanks: :bow:

Griff as you well know the Wee Da is long long over due. I purchased the 1st meter of Damascus back in Feb 2008. :ohgeez:

Anyways this is all Orac's fault :thinking:
He started it all here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/175881
Pressured into the Wee Da I was, after I thought I had learnt my lesson the first time round.... :crackup:

:cool: Pics :twothumbs

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the support is much appreciated :thanks: :bow:

Griff as you well know the Wee Da is long long over due. I purchased the 1st meter of Damascus back in Feb 2008. :ohgeez:

Anyways this is all Orac's fault :thinking:
He started it all here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/175881
Pressured into the Wee Da I was, after I thought I had learnt my lesson the first time round.... :crackup:

:cool: Pics :twothumbs

:devil: Yes it is! It's a technique I picked up from my two ex-wives. :crackup:

MrBadExample

Newly Enlightened
I only see 34 on the list....room for one more order? :poke:
Anyone tired of waiting, stocks doing poorly..:whistle:, I would like one of these if possible....shame on me for not seeing this before. :shakehead

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only see 34 on the list....room for one more order? :poke:
Anyone tired of waiting, stocks doing poorly..:whistle:, I would like one of these if possible....shame on me for not seeing this before. :shakehead

There is just 34, however No. 34 LS would like a refund & to pull out.
EDIT, This has now gone.

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go, long awaited photos.
Note this is of course before the etching operation.

weeda2.jpg

weeda1.jpg

weeda3.jpg

These Ten are on there way to Dennis in the USA now.
Everything crossed to keep Murphy away.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
:eek:oo:

What an interesting metal - looks so plain, that you'd never know what it really can look like!

Thanks for sharing Rob!

:thumbsup: john

bf1

Enlightened
Hi Rob,
If anyone backs out, please count me in.
Best regards,
Barry

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never thought they´d look like that before the etching. Very interesting what a difference the etching process makes.

Eric

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
From post #45 by Steve L...
The etch guy (Dennis - Osprey_Guy) is trying it out the etching process on my Raw Da at the moment:D. I can't wait to see it when it's done Buddy.

FYI- Not only am I posting these pics for you guys, but it's Steve's first look at his "re-finished" Raw Da as well...

As most of you know Rob did the etching on the Raw Da's. Although I've "cleaned up" a few of them with some light sanding, buffing, and polishing with fairly decent results...I went a step further with this one. I re-etched it!

I lost count of how many hours I spent experimenting with different combinations and ratios, outdoor temperatures (the fumes from the etchant combination that I eventually settled on using are far too strong to use indoors)...and then there was more experimenting with post-etch finishing.

I am quite certain that I can do better still...but that would require even more time experimenting...and at some point I had to say "Stop!" But I'm fairly happy with the results.

What do you think?

11-23-08RawDaetched-Final.jpg

11-23-08RawDaonend-Final.jpg

I'll probably play around with it a little bit more before sending it back. For those who are getting the Wee Da's keep in mind that unlike the Raw Da's, the Wee's were not heat-treated, so the finish on those will inherently turn out looking a little different than this. In what way I can't say until I actually do the work. But rest assured...I will make them look good! (Based on what I see in Rob's pics I think we're off to a great start).
2thumbsup.gif

I hope Steve is pleased... (Whadaya think Steve? There's just a tad more contrast now than it had when I got it...eh?).
wink.gif

Thanks!

Dennis

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dennis,

:bow::bow::bow:. A tad, that's the understatement of the Century. I am more than Happy, I'm Ecstatic:drool:. The contrast difference is like night and day.

I need to take a minute to Thank Dennis. He did this numerous times because he was not happy with the results. Instead of just saying it's better(good enough) and sending it back, he kept at it and at it until he was satisfied. THANK YOU!!! Guys, we are really going to like our Wee Da's. Thanks Dennis for sharing the pictures with us all!!!:twothumbs

Best Wishes,
Steve

Last edited:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dennis that is absolutely freakin fantastically beautimus and chock full of gorgeousity! ALL HAIL THE MASTER!!......in other words quite good!
I can't wait for my Wee DA! Well I must so I shall..lol