Weird Issue with Jetbeam DDA20 vs DDC10

JetbeamSmitty

Newly Enlightened
I bought 2 Jetbeams the DDA20 and the DDC10, the DDA20 runs off two AA and the DDC10 runs of 1 RCR123. For some reason the DDA20 led bulb is not that bright compared to my DDC10 both have the same style LED but the DDC10 is brighter and more white then the DDA20. What would cause this? I have used brand new AA's in the DDA20 and also rechargable AA's both batteries did not affect the lights brightness. I'm not sure if the head is defective or that's how it is suppose to be any input would be helpfull. I ran brand new AA Duracell's in the DDA20 and i have nitecore rcr123's for the DDC10.

swan

Banned
You sure have a lot of jetbeams that you know very little about- by now you probably realise your PC20 is a cr123a light?

JetbeamSmitty

Newly Enlightened
You sure have a lot of jetbeams that you know very little about- by now you probably realise your PC20 is a cr123a light?

I know my PC20 takes cr123's but i have also ran 18650 as well but that's not referring to my question. The bulb in my DDA20 is not putting out the light output that my DDC10 does. Both have the same type led light "G2 LED".

swan

Banned
I know my PC20 takes cr123's but i have also ran 18650 as well but that's not referring to my question. The bulb in my DDA20 is not putting out the light output that my DDC10 does. Both have the same type led light "G2 LED".
No it does not- you can lead a horse to water-

drmaxx

Enlightened
I have no clue about the lights you are talking about. Looking at the batteries you use - that's what I exactly would expect. AA can not handle the same load compared to RCR123. You can drive a light harder with the RCR123 and therefore it would be brighter. Somebody with knowledge about the specific light might have some additional insights.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 2 Jetbeams the DDA20 and the DDC10, the DDA20 runs off two AA and the DDC10 runs of 1 RCR123. For some reason the DDA20 led bulb is not that bright compared to my DDC10 both have the same style LED but the DDC10 is brighter and more white then the DDA20. What would cause this? I have used brand new AA's in the DDA20 and also rechargable AA's both batteries did not affect the lights brightness. I'm not sure if the head is defective or that's how it is suppose to be any input would be helpfull. I ran brand new AA Duracell's in the DDA20 and i have nitecore rcr123's for the DDC10.

RCR123 is lithium ion and can handle massive amperage draw.

AA alkaline is a wimpy little joke by comparison. AA can't handle current draw to save it's life. It's a really junky chemistry and I think we should ban it.

It would solve a lot of problems, but then the dingbats will start having rechargeable problems. So whattayagonnado? :shrug:

I have no clue about the lights you are talking about. Looking at the batteries you use - that's what I exactly would expect. AA can not handle the same load compared to RCR123. You can drive a light harder with the RCR123 and therefore it would be brighter. Somebody with knowledge about the specific light might have some additional insights.
Absolutely correct.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add in numbers
The RCR123 comes off the charger at about 4.2 volts.
The pair of AA freshly charged may be around 3.0 volts at best.

If these lights are direct drive on high output, the higher voltage light will be brighter.
In lights like Fenix, where current is regulated, the AA can compete with the RCR123 however at cost of runtime as the electronics have to boost voltage from them versus buck voltage from lions.

Hope that helps further.

JetbeamSmitty

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help, i ended up selling the DDA20 and got a DDC20 which now i can run rcr's in it.

I have 2 RCR123 Nitecore's and i just bought two Panasonic 18650 button tops. I can now run the 18650's in my DDC20 and my PC20 without having to use 2 RCR's.

I am using the RCR's mostly for my DDC10. I absolutely love that light, it's my favorite one. It's got a very good hot spot where you put the beam but the beam spectrum is not as wide as the DDC20 or the PC20.